JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I'm calling bull$hit on this!

Dan

Discover Financial Services, a provider of credit cards, told Reuters it will allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to move ahead with the initiative aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.

The decision came after the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which decides on the classification of merchant categories used by payment cards, approved in September the launch of a dedicated code for gun retailers.

Proponents of the move, including gun control activists and Democratic politicians, say it will allow financial institutions to better assist authorities in investigating crimes involving gun violence in the United States.

There has been uncertainty around the implementation, with Visa Inc, Mastercard Inc and American Express Co yet to disclose a timetable for adopting the change. Although the codes will not show specific items purchased, some Republican politicians have spoken out against the move, arguing it could violate the privacy of U.S. citizens lawfully buying guns.

Discover said it will include the new code in its next policy and product update to merchants and payment partners, in April.

"We remain focused on continuing to protect and support lawful purchases on our network while protecting the privacy of cardholders," Discover said in its statement to Reuters.

A Visa representative declined to comment on its schedule for the new code. Mastercard and American Express representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on their plans. Last fall, the companies said they would work to implement the code while respecting privacy rights.

A representative for Geneva-based ISO said the new code, dubbed "5723 - Gun and ammunition shops" - would be available for financial institutions to use by the end of February.

"The decision to use the new merchant category code is eventually left up to the users in the industry," the ISO representative said.

Discover handled 2% of the $9.56 trillion purchased on U.S. credit and debit cards in 2022, according to industry researcher Nilson Report. Industry leader Visa had a 61% share, Mastercard 26% and American Express 11%.

Cash is king for gun purchases.

Edit: I have bought all of my firearms locally since October and almost all with cash. There are tons and tons of firearms that are available locally.

Screenshot (213).png

Handguns for sale/trade are over 1500 pages.

Last Edited:
Unfortunately enough, I lack the time to drive 2707 miles (one way) to get what I need and the business isn't really geared up to take my order and wait until my USPS money order(or cash) gets there before sending my order.

With that being said, buying a gun, or parts, is not the issue. The issue is the companies tracking ALL of your purchases under the guise of, "to better assist authorities in investigating crimes involving gun violence in the United States".
I consider this move to be illegal & a privacy violation! YMMV.

Dan

Government - We can't break these laws we made them to protect the people from us.

Banks - We are a private company and we can use user agreements to bypass constitutional rights.

Government - Let's be friends.

———————————

Citizen - So this plastic thing with a slit goes on your arm and avoids the laws created by government.

Government- Ya that's ok. Handicap folks should be able to access guns.

Citizens - Sweet a stock that goes around the law.

Government - Wait a second….

IRONY.

I'm calling bull$hit on this!

Dan

Discover Financial Services, a provider of credit cards, told Reuters it will allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to move ahead with the initiative aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.

The decision came after the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which decides on the classification of merchant categories used by payment cards, approved in September the launch of a dedicated code for gun retailers.

Proponents of the move, including gun control activists and Democratic politicians, say it will allow financial institutions to better assist authorities in investigating crimes involving gun violence in the United States.

There has been uncertainty around the implementation, with Visa Inc, Mastercard Inc and American Express Co yet to disclose a timetable for adopting the change. Although the codes will not show specific items purchased, some Republican politicians have spoken out against the move, arguing it could violate the privacy of U.S. citizens lawfully buying guns.

Discover said it will include the new code in its next policy and product update to merchants and payment partners, in April.

"We remain focused on continuing to protect and support lawful purchases on our network while protecting the privacy of cardholders," Discover said in its statement to Reuters.

A Visa representative declined to comment on its schedule for the new code. Mastercard and American Express representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on their plans. Last fall, the companies said they would work to implement the code while respecting privacy rights.

A representative for Geneva-based ISO said the new code, dubbed "5723 - Gun and ammunition shops" - would be available for financial institutions to use by the end of February.

"The decision to use the new merchant category code is eventually left up to the users in the industry," the ISO representative said.

Discover handled 2% of the $9.56 trillion purchased on U.S. credit and debit cards in 2022, according to industry researcher Nilson Report. Industry leader Visa had a 61% share, Mastercard 26% and American Express 11%.
There is a category for "Sporting goods" already. That's how they know to give you 5% cash back when you shop at Sporting goods stores. Midway USA, Dicks, Opticsplanet, Primaryarms, etc, were all in that category.

In this age of digital information, if they felt so inclined they could easily digitize a list of every item ever bought by any customer, and especially by which customer if a credit card was used. To some extent they already do because stores track their inventory so they know what is being bought by their customers and need to be restocked.

But regardless of this being done at the time of sale, a 4473 for gun purchases effectively does the same thing, and it's been believed those have been digitized and become part of a searchable database for a long time.

FWIW, the NSA tracks ALL of your electronic purchases/transactions - everything, regardless of who/what the financial institution is. They also build a network of everybody you telephone, email, text message, engage with on social media - any electronic communication is recorded, analyzed and the meta data stored (meta data is the data about the comms/transaction - who, where, when).

If you are a person of interest, then they keep more data, like the gist of the conversations, etc. - otherwise it is just the meta data.

Generally, they don't act on any of this or share it unless you are a person of interest or they stumble across something actionable they think they should share (with other agencies).

So the gov pretty much knows most everything you buy (not just gun stuff), when and where. If you vehicle has GPS or you have your cell phone turned on, they know where you travel to and when. If you are meeting someone, they know all of the people near you when you go somewhere to buy/sell something, because that person has a cell phone too.

This may sound paranoid, but it has been a fact of life for decades. Don't think it is anything new or that paying cash makes your transactions invisible. It might muddy up their data on that transaction a bit, but the gov knows I am selling some .460 dies in a few days, for how much and to whom, because all of the comms were electronic, and they will have confirmation of that when we meet and our cell phones are at the same place at the same time.

We'll WIN, and ARE WINNING this battle step by step, state by state. We just have to our bootstraps pulled up. We ARE starting to win, and the anti's know it. That's why they are trying to hit us from every angle, they're grabbing at straws frantically. They know THIER end is near with all thier unconstitutional bs.
😉

The worst thing I see quite often is when members mention things in thier posts that do nothing but give the anti second ammendment tirds all the ammo they need to hit us with. They don't need to do much but take notes. And be rest assured you know they have trolls on all these sites watching comments and reactions to things and they bern doing this firearms long time. So they know how thier objectives are working.

As the old saying goes " loose lips sink ships" abd we all want to keep our ship and way if life we cherish dearly on track for our kids and grandkids futures. 👍

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews