JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And that is what counts in a democracy where rights can be restricted by voting.
And therein lies the problem with Oregon. At the national level, if the forces of evil want to delete the Second Amendment, as a Constitutional Republic they have a lot of hoops to jump through. At the state level here in Oregon it is more like a Democracy, the forces of evil just need one more vote than we can muster to make life miserable. Fortunately, the 2nd Amendment is in the Constitution, so we have a chance in the courts. For many other things, we're not so lucky.

Call me a negative Nellie, but no, I don't believe the few that would do that would mean diddly to the banks. Gun ownership is becoming less and less accepted in this country.
Please, please! I want to be wrong.
I can understand that thinking but, money talks, BS walks applies here. The big guys have stock holders who are NOT woke. They want to make money. Disney is a PRIME example of this. They pissed off a lot of the stock holders and they are paying attention. Banks only exist for one reason, make money. So again when big boys like Midway start telling me I can't use plastic I will take this for what it is. Until then its just more the sky if falling to me.

Yes there really is, see my post #2 in this thread.
Post #2 in this 13 page thread is is not yours. Maybe I misunderstand?

Big money controls everything in our country. Banks, credit card companies, politicians, insurance companies. What the "Monied" want, they get. Maybe it's not supposed to be that way. But that is the way it is.

I can understand that thinking but, money talks, BS walks applies here. The big guys have stock holders who are NOT woke. They want to make money. Disney is a PRIME example of this. They pissed off a lot of the stock holders and they are paying attention. Banks only exist for one reason, make money. So again when big boys like Midway start telling me I can't use plastic I will take this for what it is. Until then its just more the sky if falling to me.
Well I said I'd love to be proved wrong. All I know is what I see.

To clarify the OP's original statement it's not the card companies(Visa, Master Card ect) it's the individual banks that are "woke"
Exactly!

Supposedly it was a specific bank in Kentucky and each bank has control over their own policies regarding the cards they issue. It may be fake news but the bank in question responded to the allegation by acknowledging the transaction denial but said that it was denied because the merchant tried to run the debit card purchase as a credit transaction. (Which is common practice and pretty much what many merchants do. Running a debit card as a credit bypasses the need for the customer to enter their pin number).

They stated their bank doesn't allow that on debit card purchases. Sounds a little fishy.

They ignored commenting on the display message stating a decline due to the type of merchant account. They also did not state that the decline message was incorrect which leads folks to wonder if they got caught and trying to backpeddle... or not, and simply not addressing what they consider fake news.

I dunno.

I'm sure if it's legit, it won't be the last time we hear similar stories coming out.

It doesn't seem entirely unrealistic, to me, that there might be some banks choosing to decline based on the new merch codes. Heck... a bank got the new codes created in the first place specifically to have that ability.

Well I said I'd love to be proved wrong. All I know is what I see.
That is exactly what I am waiting for, to see it. Bought some ammo from SG last week, only "hitch" was UPS trying to deliver it to who the hell knows were. Using my plastic was nothing. I did get a couple denials for on line stuff that had zero to do with guns in the last month. The times it happened I got an alert saying "Is this you? We have declined this charge for now". I clicked yes its me and the merchant must have just run the charge again as the items came to me. So I am waiting to see for myself the retailers tell me I can't use my plastic there.

Here is the thing folks, you've no financial privacy and have had none for decades . It is folly to think you do , this is not an endorsement of right or wrong just the way it is and has been for a long time .

I am not going to stop buying things with my CC for fear of being tracked hell it's all tracked . Trying to "go underground" IMO isn't a strategy

I like the idea of going to a cash on the barrel head approach. I have been trying to pay with cash more and more lately. However, in the last couple months I have had a few places decline cash and told we only take cards. I can choose to not do business with these places but I fear it is going to become more prevalent moving forward.

I like the idea of going to a cash on the barrel head approach. I have been trying to pay with cash more and more lately. However, in the last couple months I have had a few places decline cash and told we only take cards. I can choose to not do business with these places but I fear it is going to become more prevalent moving forward.
Agreed. It's getting harder and harder to use cash. Even places that accept it, it's not uncommon they can't break anything over a 20 and often times won't accept 50 or 100 denominations for payment. Fear of counterfeits. As if 5 counterfeit 20's is better than 1 counterfeit 100?

Want to know why? It's really quite simple. Pot shops have found out just how dangerous it can be. Since they can't bank its all cash. Guess what that attracts? Not to mention it costs the business money. Taking in cash is not "free". They have to then bank that cash. This costs them money. Storing the cash, moving the cash, banking the cash. It all costs money and involves risk. We may not see in my lifetime stores going no cash since people will still want little things. We are seeing places that do not want people walking in paying for stuff that costs hundreds of dollars with cash. The business often does not want to have to deal with this.

Is there really that big of difference? It's all about "Money" isn't it? Woke is woke.
Yes there really is, see my post #2 in this thread.
If I may be so bold...

I believe oremike is referring to his second post (what he calls post #2) in the revival of this thread.
As to what oremike refers to as his Post #2? That would actually be Post #237 in the greater thread.

If I am wrong, someone can whack my pee pee...

Last Edited:

Big money controls everything in our country. Banks, credit card companies, politicians, insurance companies. What the "Monied" want, they get. Maybe it's not supposed to be that way. But that I is the way it is.
I think threads were merged or something now the post I'm referring to is #225

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top