JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
...It's tempting to like what they did but I'm not OK with people pointing guns at other citizens who are walking on a public accomodation or publicly accessible area...

Private gated road, posted no trespassing. Apparently.

Also in a different State, where our laws may not be applicable.

Not saying I agree in any way with the unsafe firearms handling by the wife. Just pointing out doing such in another State may be legal.

Her trigger discipline is truly worrisome.
In the heat of a the moment an untrained person such as herself can get someone killed unintentionally all because her finger rested on the trigger.. she'd go to jail over an accident rather than true self defense. I hope she gets some training.

However.. I can't argue with their want/need to display arms to passerby protesters. Those protesters are screaming eat the rich, destroying property and marching right up to a persons house within a gated community.. that is truly cause for alarm as its never "peaceful" its a threat of a mob... Its always a matter if time before they get so hyped up the start breaking in, attacking and looting. Its happened enough to where its not a crazy irrational fear.. it has happened. Those "protesters" have no business going to anyones home.

If they want to protest, go to the capitol, hold it in a park.. etc. But marching through an innocent neighborhood AFTER we've seen rampant rioting, attacks and looting in various cities all with "peaceful protesters" chanting the same things these people were?

These homeowners should have every right to brandish firearms to dissuade these ignorant dolts in the streets. The lady just needs to work on her trigger discipline to avoid a ND.

May I suggest the common garden hose with adjustable nozzle for dealing with trespassers?

I'm not a lawyer (although it pays well apparently) but I wouldn't be at all surprised if hosing people down would technically constitute assault. I do like some aspects of your plan, however, and I think that activating the automatic lawn sprinklers to discourage excursions into my yard might make it into my mental game plan.

I really do live in Mayberry though, so it won't come to this.

How would we react if the hoard showed up on our front door?

I think the sprinklers on plan (see above, I like it) and then extra mags and slung, either alongside the house or indoors, would be the least likely to draw attention while still affording some capability to meet an escalation if needed.

Private gated road, posted no trespassing. Apparently.

As you note, I don't know their local laws, however in general if the FedEx man can come to the street, it's a publicly accessible space. But you're right, I don't know.

People do strange things when they fear for their lives...You've already seen some of these crowds toss Molotov cocktails. How would we react if the hoard showed up on our front door? Also, wouldn't they be less apt to come back if they saw a wall of armed neighbors?

Being armed is one thing, pointing guns at people walking by is another. Even I know that pointing a gun at someone simply walking past, even if trespassing (simple trespassing), is a no no in almost any locale in the USA, even one with strong Castle Doctrine laws.

I live on a private road, and people have to drive/walk a quarter mile down the road, and then another 100 yards up my driveway, to get to my house, but I am not going to point a gun at trespassers unless they actually threaten me.

Ok, I agree, poor gun handling, check, but the mob avoided them and no one was shot?

Right?

Putting a bigger spin on poor gun handling is off the mark in comparison to a mob of hundreds coming your way that you've no idea if they will remain 'peaceful'.

Most of us still think in the 'law abiding mode' that mobs ignore.

Put the spin on the mob, not the couple.

I live on a private road, and people have to drive/walk a quarter mile down the road, and then another 100 yards up my driveway, to get to my house, but I am not going to point a gun at trespassers unless they actually threaten me.
Ok, let's say they broke down your gate and 200 people came up to your home shouting...now what? Again, everyone feels differently when they're under duress. I'm not saying what they did was right, just saying until we are in the exact position it'd be challenging to say what we'd do.

Putting a bigger spin on poor gun handling is off the mark in comparison to a mob of hundreds coming your way that you've no idea if they will remain 'peaceful'.

I'm just looking at it in terms of minimal risk to the homeowner overall, with myself cast in the role of homeowner. Legal risks are real risks, as are the risks posed by a mob marching near my front yard. For myself, I want to do the best possible job I can of minimizing ALL the risks. The folks in the OP, being well heeled lawyers themselves, might have a different calculus than I have.

Apparently they destroyed the locked gate to enter...

Also another vote for bad trigger discipline... buuuuutttt... If she's sporting a Walther (newer... PPK, yada..) That thing has a nearly 10 lb double action before going off. No excuse, just saying.
Also interesting - guy appears to have an extra mag on him as well.

VFgYLRwC.jpeg 5ef9d72fe75ee.image.jpg

Apparently they destroyed the locked gate to enter...

If that's a gate onto private property, then the whole complexion of the thing changes. I was under the impression the protestors forced open a gate that blocked street access to the entire community. This is what I had last time I lived in a gated area, and then each home had its own fence and gate. The gate the FedEx driver gets waved through is one thing, busting into my backyard is entirely another.

I've never lived in a place this upscale so I'm not sure what I'm looking at to be honest.

I wouldn't be inside waiting. I'd be outside deterring saying 'move along, keep walking, nothing here for you...'

You may choose to remain in the 'finger nail chewing/what if' mode, but if I'm threatened by a MOB whose already committed a criminal (see gate) act, I WILL be ready to defend...I won't kowtow or apologize or commit a dignity killing act to appease either, like the mayor finally did...

RX4,

Far better a look than what pelosie, biden and a whole slew of others did by kneeling and self abasing (we're guilty we know, we're so sorry for being alive) with a dopey african scarf around all their pencil necks...

As people watch police departments abandoned and burned out, as they keep hearing about "defunding police", as we keep reading about the rate of LEO's taking early retirement, as the civil unrest continues to escalate, you can expect to see scenes like this more and more often. I'm not going to make any excuses for the lack of training on their part, but the simple facts are that people are going to feel pushed to take care of themselves, and will do so as they think best. If a bunch of people headed up my driveway, they'd be 'greeted' in a very similar fashion.

Ok, let's say they broke down your gate and 200 people came up to your home shouting...now what? Again, everyone feels differently when they're under duress. I'm not saying what they did was right, just saying until we are in the exact position it'd be challenging to say what we'd do.

As you point out, it depends.

The article says they simply opened a gate. Now there is a pic of a gate that looks like it is busted down.

We debated putting a gate on our road, but decided it was too much hassle. We are way outside any city/town/community, and no one is going to come marching on our road. But if they did, then I would be very worried. Seriously, if that were to happen and my upper neighbors were home and aware of what was happening, the mob might be shot by my neighbors before they reached my property.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads