JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once had a pit bull run out of a house and attacked my dog when out walking her. The owner came out right away and it was mostly an issue of the dog not being trained properly. It got me thinking about shooting at close quarters, in a residential neighborhood, and the possible outcomes of a missed shot. I now carry spray as well as my firearm.

Oh, man... I was liking the bear spray idea, and thinking I should look into a small one I could carry so as to have options. Saw this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ZAP-Strike-C...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I don't ride bikes, but imagine having this zapstick in a frame mounted setup...

Like others have mentioned, I could see having a lot of issues if you had to use your pistol in this scenario, seems like you have a lot more leeway if you can shut it down without killing the dog.

Might want to look up when you would be legally allowed to shoot before you go "half cocked" on choosing to do something just because of 1 experience.
@American123 has a good point.

If I am being attacked and am in immediate danger of death or grave bodily harm I can use deadly force against a human attacker. So, shooting an attacking Pitbull would probably be justified.

pitbull2.jpeg

Shooting an attacking Corgi - not so much.

Corgi.jpeg

Pit bull, Corgi Mix - we'll, I'm just not sure.

corgiepitbull2.jpg
Once had a pit bull run out of a house and attacked my dog when out walking her.
I've researched using a firearm in this type of scenario. It is illegal to use deadly force to defend one's "property", (I'm not taking about Castle doctrine stuff here) which is what a pet is defined as for legal purposes. I can't shoot you if your stealing my car from my driveway or off the street if I am not in danger of death or grave bodily harm. So - although a gray area - the result of pulling my EDC and shooting a dog that's attacking my dog on the sidewalk is probably going to get me arrested for violating the city or municipality laws prohibiting discharging a firearm in anything other than a self-defense scenario that would meet the legal requirements to justify employing deadly force.

So, OC spray is the first response.

I carry OC spray and my EDC everywhere I go, including walking my small mutt dogs.

Never thought about carrying OC spray before. Now the weather is warming up and riding more. I will have a small can of OC strapped to handlebar or in pocket.

but imagine having this zapstick in a frame mounted setup...
That's an interesting concept no doubt however I wonder if one of the shorter, hand held stun guns might be more controllable during a dog attack.

My thought is while they would require the dog to be much closer it might allow for better (and longer) contact with the dog for a really good 'zap'.

That's an interesting concept no doubt however I wonder if one of the shorter, hand held stun guns might be more controllable during a dog attack.

My thought is while they would require the dog to be much closer it might allow for better (and longer) contact with the dog for a really good 'zap'.
Hard to say, I was just remembering as a kid, being chased by a dog that was trying to bite my foot on a bike. A stick would have been about the right length to reach back and deliver a shock.

Should I be armed while biking….. I'm armed no matter what I am doing. Riding a bike, walking, or driving. It makes no difference to me.
100% agree. From what I see on a daily basis in Portland either in person, on nextdoor or neighbors app, or in the news, it is a must. Crazies, meth heads, and violent criminals are everywhere, especially on bike paths (ie homeless corridors).

I haven't rode a bike since I was a kid and if I was going to ride it definitely wouldn't be in Portland! Yes I do carry everywhere, so if I was gonna ride I would definitely have some sort of firearm on my person! Best of luck with those wild critters in ptown! (2 legged and the 4 legged)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top