JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OP, you have your OR CC, so not sure if you really are asking? If so my only answer would be why would you not carry? The entire point of jumping through the hoops to get the permit is to be able to carry. Dogs kill a few people a year so odds are not great but, I know I will not be another statistic. Eclectic bike or not many can run quite fast for a while and if you fall while running and are injured? Good luck fighting them off especially if there is more than one. Now I am a BIG time dog person. So I hope to not have to shoot one but, again I and my dogs will not be a meal for one. OC I have found is VERY effective on them. In my experience more effective than it has been on 2 legged. So when I was still riding I carried some of that too as a first response. I also NEVER ran from them when chased. I stopped and then stood ground. Run, they chase. Stop and VERY often dogs stop to size you up and very often back off. If you run and go down or they pull you down you can be in trouble. Another wise choice, CAMERA, body worn. If you have to defend yourself against some morons dog there is a good chance the moron will be close by and want to attack you for stopping his damn dog. Camera can save a LOT of legal trouble.

Good luck fighting them off especially if there is more than one.
I have often wondered about this when I have read about people referring to possibly using a gun if attacked by dogs while riding.

I mean if you are knocked over you may be in pain from that and if they are attacking you are going to be in a difficult position trying to fend them while possibly getting bit and all the while hoping to be able to draw and shoot accurately.

I'm thinking a heavy duty OC as a 'first response' sounds like a pretty good idea.

I have often wondered about this when I have read about people referring to possibly using a gun if attacked by dogs while riding.

I mean if you are knocked over you may be in pain from that and if they are attacking you are going to be in a difficult position trying to fend them while possibly getting bit and all the while hoping to be able to draw and shoot accurately.

I'm thinking a heavy duty OC as a 'first response' sounds like a pretty good idea.
I like OC because I am a BIG time dog lover. When some dog is loose and attacks its not the dogs fault it has a MORON for an owner. I hate to have to really hurt them but, I will not let one have at me or one of my dogs. So far the OC has proved amazingly effective on dogs and does no harm to them. So win, win to me. Some dogs seem to remember it very well too. Had one moron neighbor for many years. Pit always running loose. Came at me in my front yard and I maced it with OC. Damn dog remembered that for many years. When I would see him out there all I had to do was open the door and when he saw me he split. :D

OP, do you already carry? If so, great - carry while cycling. Lots of options for that - fanny packs tend to work well, but there are options out there too.

If you don't already carry, I would recommend getting some firearms training and ensure you are comfortable with manipulating the weapon before carrying in general, and especially before doing so while performing a potentially strenuous physical activity.

+1 on the OC - it's a good non-lethal option regsrdless of whether you carry a gun or not, and it will work on dogs.

Yep, ideally you would spray them before ever being physically injured, prevent the need to shoot altogether, because if you spray a dog you can pretty much go on with the rest of your day without issue. If you shoot a dog though, it will likely involve a conservation with the police at the very least.

Yup, just off body carry, usually in a front, fanny pack (fronty pack?). OC as well. My bride had good sucess with OC on an aggressive dog once.

When I was about 14, two Great Danes were terrorizing the neighborhood. They bit my next door neighbor, a few days prior, and were supposed to be in quarantine when they were out again and mauled two older ladies and went after my mom, who escaped into our back yard. Seriously messed them up, over 100 stitches each. My neighbor, who had already been chomped on by the pair, stood in his (temporarily unfenced) back yard, wearing his duty rig (reserve officer).

I watched the two come after him again but this time he landed two in the chest of one and a head shot on the other, the fourth shot of 38 SWC hitting near one of the paws. Freaky part? After those shots they just stood and looked at him and then ran away. I was behind him with my .22, which I quickly realized would have been best used as a club. Both were euthanized. Like so often, owner problem here. This encounter definitely left an impression on me.

When I was riding my bike around Birch State Park there was a little yappy dog that would chase my bike a good ways. Since his legs were short I would pedal faster so he/she could not keep up. I always carry when I am bike riding since you don't what animals you will encounter on your bike ride. A lot of dogs I encounter bark a lot but do not chase me.

Kick it old school with a Velo-Dog?

Velo-Dog.png

Kidding, of course. (Though I do recall coming very close to obtaining a top-break NAA in .22 WMR when I biked more, which is kind of a modern spin on the concept.) I have to ditto what @nammac said; pepper spray and a snub. :)

I like OC because I am a BIG time dog lover. When some dog is loose and attacks its not the dogs fault it has a MORON for an owner. I hate to have to really hurt them but, I will not let one have at me or one of my dogs. So far the OC has proved amazingly effective on dogs and does no harm to them. So win, win to me. Some dogs seem to remember it very well too. Had one moron neighbor for many years. Pit always running loose. Came at me in my front yard and I maced it with OC. Damn dog remembered that for many years. When I would see him out there all I had to do was open the door and when he saw me he split. :D

OP, you have your OR CC, so not sure if you really are asking? If so my only answer would be why would you not carry? The entire point of jumping through the hoops to get the permit is to be able to carry. Dogs kill a few people a year so odds are not great but, I know I will not be another statistic. Eclectic bike or not many can run quite fast for a while and if you fall while running and are injured? Good luck fighting them off especially if there is more than one. Now I am a BIG time dog person. So I hope to not have to shoot one but, again I and my dogs will not be a meal for one. OC I have found is VERY effective on them. In my experience more effective than it has been on 2 legged. So when I was still riding I carried some of that too as a first response. I also NEVER ran from them when chased. I stopped and then stood ground. Run, they chase. Stop and VERY often dogs stop to size you up and very often back off. If you run and go down or they pull you down you can be in trouble. Another wise choice, CAMERA, body worn. If you have to defend yourself against some morons dog there is a good chance the moron will be close by and want to attack you for stopping his damn dog. Camera can save a LOT of legal troubl

So, what you think, should you be armed while biking?
I'm in the camp that believes you should be armed at ALL times. I also think you should carry pepper spray at all times too as it's nice to have an option between "hands on" and lethal force. Hot sauce can be very handy when dealing with dogs too.

Glad you weren't hurt. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads