JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) "Hypothetically if my wife was stabbed and the perp went after the cop and he ran away the city would be paying me some serious cash."
No they wouldn't. The courts have ruled that the police don't have to protect any individual peon.

2) I looked the Orc's name up and ***SURPRISE!!*** this isn't his 1st serious run-in with the law.

3) I couldn't tell for sure but it looked like the Orc was a BIPOC, so the cop was thinking about riots and arson and being excoriated in the Lamestream Media. Making the cops hesitate is at least partially what the whole thing is about. If the Orc had gone back in and sliced up some peon it would have given the "news" weasels another. rock to throw at the cops.

4) Given that need a cane to walk there's no way I could have fled so well, so I would have had no choice other than to thoroughly ventilate Mr. Appelt. There's no doubt that the LSM would smear me as a racist who has been hoping to shoot somebody, and the Politicians in the DA/AG offices would go right along.

Last Edited:
@revjen45 who do the police have to protect if they don't have to protect "peons?" Or are they just another government official? I know they aren't doing the job for money.

@revjen45 who do the police have to protect if they don't have to protect "peons?" Or are they just another government official? I know they aren't doing the job for money.

For quite a while, court precedent has established that you and you alone are responsible for your own safety. If the gov does not respond in time, or does not respond at all, they cannot be held accountable in court. The only time the gov can be held accountable is if they say they are going to respond and they don't.

This is true of LEOs and other first responders.

For quite a while, court precedent has established that you and you alone are responsible for your own safety. If the gov does not respond in time, or does not respond at all, they cannot be held accountable in court. The only time the gov can be held accountable is if they say they are going to respond and they don't.

This is true of LEOs and other first responders.
I understand that. My original quote was stating that if a perp stabbed my wife and then went after the cop but he ran away in fear for his life (not a good LEO) I would have an issue with that. And if possible take it to court. All hypothetical. I understand cops are held to a different standard than civilians. Sorry if my post was misconstrued.

The cop who ran needs to reevaluate his career choice. Go find another job. This is not the career for you. Hypothetically if my wife was stabbed and the perp went after the cop and he ran away the city would be paying me some serious cash. That cop is a liability for other cops as well as the society he "serves." There is nothing wrong with admitting the LE career field is not a good fit for you. No shame in that at all.

Doubtful they would pay you, in New York, women called the police while being attacked and subsequently raped multiple times after police didn't respond for hours later. They sued for damages and lost, the court ruled that the police have no duty to protect the people, only to enforce the law.

Look it up, it happened.

Hence, anyone who doesn't want to be a victim should plan on being their own savior and stopping/shooting their own attacker.

Doubtful they would pay you, in New York, women called the police while being attacked and subsequently raped multiple times after police didn't respond for hours later. They sued for damages and lost, the court ruled that the police have no duty to protect the people, only to enforce the law.

Look it up, it happened.

Hence, anyone who doesn't want to be a victim should plan on being their own savior and stopping/shooting their own attacker.
Once again. I am saying if they were on scene and ran in fear. Not that they don't show up at all. Just like that $hitty cop in Florida who sat outside the school while kids were getting killed. I think he got to keep his retirement. It's bull$hit to me. If you don't have the stones or drive to do the job, kick rocks and quit. I don't look for the police to protect me. Never have.

Well, due to a ridiculous case involving negligent police work leading to a rape, it was decided that the police bear responsibility only for the general good. I guess riots, looting and burning fall into "specific good"?

Normally the police wait for an order to stand down. Now it seems to be SOP. Gotta blame those in charge. Yet, 'qualified immunity' has been removed from NYPD officers, so a lot more of them will be shot, stabbed and clubbed rather than take action at risk of losing everything.

But wait, there's more! From the precept of qualified immunity:
"Specifically, qualified immunity protects a government official from lawsuits alleging that the official violated a plaintiff's rights, only allowing suits where officials violated a "clearly established" statutory or constitutional right. When determining whether or not a right was "clearly established," courts consider whether a hypothetical reasonable official would have known that the defendant's conduct violated the plaintiff's rights."
Therefore, should not negligent or malicious legislating or making an executive order which knowingly violates a defined civil right (2A) be an exclusion from qualified immunity? I know that the lawyer/politicians somehow have enshrined their immunity in stone while the constitution is but paper. Nevertheless...

Last Edited:
Well, due to a ridiculous case involving negligent police work leading to a rape, it was decided that the police have only a responsibility for the general good. I guess riots, looting and burning fall into "specific good"?

Normally they wait for an order to stand down. Now it seems to SOP. Gotta blame those in charge.
I blame the cops who stand by and obey while the innocent are hurt just to ensure they have a job the following day. I also blame the leaders. Self responsibility doesn't stop at a certain rank or billet.

"Are they not required to prevent a crime from happening if they catch it in its commission?"
No.
After the recent antics by BLM and Antifa in Potland and Seattle it should be intuitively obvious to all and sundry that all the police are required to do is follow orders. (Befehl ist Befehl.) They were there to protect the rioters and make sure the peons were afraid to even think about defending themselves because that's what Gauleiter Ted said to do.

"Law Enforcement immediately provided life saving measures until Corvallis Fire medics arrived minutes later"

Shoot center mass, then provide CPR while the potential cameras/audience are watching. Squirt, squirt, squirt...
I teach and practice the Mozambique Drill myself. 2 Center Mass 1 in the CPU. Assess. Repeat as needed. CPR not required.

This is not the first time a 'knifer' had to be dealt with in Corvallis. How long does it take to bleed out from a large arterial cut (femoral, brachial or carotid)? Distance is your friend and only a human of lessor intelligence would 'stand their ground'!
But it is your sworn duty to "serve and protect" and run toward danger. As for lesser intelligence, it was the perp who "brought a knife to a gunfight". Latest Darwin Award winner.

Mentioning that the police car that Officer 3 was standing next to had an AR and shotgun in it shows the public that Officer 3 could not retreat like Officer 1 without risking that the knife wielding man would acquire those weapons and start spraying the area with gunfire. Before the video was released, there were several people saying that the police used excessive force. In reality, Officer 1 put Officer 2's life at risk because the man could have stabbed to death Officer 2 when they were grappling.

FYI, those weapons are locked in their mounts. I know, because in my career I set up/installed all the equip in more vehicles than I can remember.

Otherwise, I agree with your comment re: officer 1.

Officer 1 retreated and unsuccessfully used his taser.

Use of taser against a knife wielding subject is IMO a stupid tactic. You always deploy a higher level of force than the bad guy deploys!!! TASERS have a 50% fail to stop rate... not good against a lethal force weapon.

Running/retreating might be ok, but unless willing to abandon post the officer needed to quickly draw his lethal force weapon (pistol) and turn and fight to stop the threat to himself and the community. If he was unwilling to fire on a POC, that is a sad thing Oregon has driven it's officers to do and endangers lives. Very simply, some people need to be shot and that's too damn bad.

Look it up, it happened.

Maybe you meant this event?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....look up/search: Duty To Protect

There is plenty of real case history to read about.

Last Edited:
Back in the day when I took a greater amount of interest in close-up unpleasantness, we had a visiting instructor from the Israeli Defence Force. As I'm sure most of you know, the Israelis have concocted their own home-grown martial art - both off- and de-fensive, called Krav Maga.

We spent a very useful day being shown just how easy it is to get killed by a person with a knife and the will to use it.

Basically, he showed that the so-called 'ten-foot rule' is a load of horse feathers, as he could get inside your defensive space and unzip you from crotch to throat inside of ONE pace - 1/10th of ONE second.

I defy anybody here to draw a pistol and use it in that amount of time with any certainty of connecting lethally - meanwhile, you are bleeding out with a wound that will never heal.

The British Army and Royal Marines rapidly altered their standards for engaging with a person holding any kind of a blade - if there was clear space between you and him - or her - drop them right there before they made a move.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top