JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well yes it could. Someone that would hesitate or say 'No' right away wouldn't be someone to buy a gun for. Most folks are one way or another. Some say 'I think I could '. Some say if they came after my kids He'll yes!
If they couldn't shoot someone they probably won't say they could. They don't really want to even think of it.
From the folks I have asked they're answers weren't wish washy,they were fairly obvious rather they could or not

Yup. Moms getting older and wanted a gun. It took probably 3 weeks and many conversations to discover that she only wanted to shoot in someone's general direction to "scare" them out of the house.

Mom didn't get a gun...

women i'll tell ya! :rolleyes:

its sad to think that some people think nothing bad will happen to them until it does...

my wife carried for a solid year but then i kept seeing her LCP custom on the dresser more often than not. i dont dare ask why cause i know i'll get an earful. ultimately its her decision to carry if she chooses to. she is pregnant and maybe its uncomfortable or it doesnt work with maternity pants/shorts? idk. i really hope she starts carrying again. atleast in her purse or something.

I'm lucky as my wife is more hardcore than I am about carrying and prepping in general.
She is a nurse who now has a desk job, but for a long time she did in home visits. She was afraid to bring her purse into the homes because, 1) she couldn't always keep an eye on it while doing her duties 2) it was against company policy. The second wasn't nearly as big a deal to her as the first, but it was policy.
What we did was to purchase a little SS North American Arms 5 shot .22mag and she carries it in her scrubs. It doesn't print, doesn't weigh anything and with HP defense rounds gave her a way to fight her way back to the truck, her purse and main carry weapon/way to escape. I simply told her that if needed dump all five rounds into the baddie's belly/chest and haul @ss to the truck. I'm very pleased with the little revolver, so much so that I carry one in my front pocket in addition to my EDC.
You might give one a look for your wife. While not perfect, .22mag is better than a balled up set of keys or nothing.

Last Edited:
Not to stray too off topic but for DA revolvers and carry , I like:
S&W models 10 and 15
S&W model 36 with a 3 inch barrel
S&W model 65 and 66
S&W model 19
And the Ruger SP101 series

All that said its best to let the shooter and carrier get to handle and shoot any of these ...
What I like may not be the best fit for others.
Andy

Women carry for completely different reasons than men. I won't attempt to try to explain why, but we certainly can't talk them into it using our bizarre masculine thinking. Just that simple. Your SO (assuming female...) will strap one on when she's good and ready, and that reasoning usually has very little to do with you.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...

Not to stray too off topic but for DA revolvers and carry , I like:
S&W models 10 and 15
S&W model 36 with a 3 inch barrel
S&W model 65 and 66
S&W model 19
And the Ruger SP101 series

All that said its best to let the shooter and carrier get to handle and shoot any of these ...
What I like may not be the best fit for others.
Andy
Well, she liked the webley mk IV training pistol in .22lr, and no, that is not off topic. I tried showing her a few Walters and Rugers meant for carry, but she likes fancy guns that make a statement. A revolver would probably be a better fit. Thanks for the suggestions to look for. My family is partial to detective specials, but it's good to have other options.

Women carry for completely different reasons than men. I won't attempt to try to explain why, but we certainly can't talk them into it using our bizarre masculine thinking. Just that simple. Your SO (assuming female...) will strap one on when she's good and ready, and that reasoning usually has very little to do with you.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
Yeah, like a 1500 dollar fashion statement? Lmao

As much as I would love for my wife to carry, she doesn't want to.
At the end of the day, it's her choice.
I'm all for encouraging them to carry, but I strongly oppose the pressuring of anyone to carry.
If you make someone carry and a situation goes south, we all know that if they draw and hesitate there's a significant chance they get shot with their own weapon.
If they are willing to carry and use a firearm, I'll assist with as much of the process as I can, but I won't pressure anyone to carry who doesn't want to or isn't confident they'll be able to make the right choice if necessary.

I will consider your stance, but I'm not too worried about it. I can't make her doing anything she doesn't want to do. She's pretty bull headed like that, but so am I, which works.

She just needs exposure and training. She's already starting to become convinced of the practical application.

Hmm, my wife is not a gun person and stays out of my hobbies. She's not interested in carry. I am and she doesn't complain about it and most times she doesn't even notice if I am packing. I don't advertise I just pick it up and put it on. I stay safe and I keep aware of my surroundings.
Would it be nice if she did? Yes, it would be another thing we shared and had in common. Another link in the relationship. I have her partially on board in the prepping area so that will have to be enough.

The best way I have found to send people down the path to carrying is saying "Have you seen this?" while sharing news stories and YouTube clips to recent local robberies and attacks. There are shows on the Pursuit and Outdoor channels such as Stop the Threat and The Best Defense, plus several YouTube channels dedicated to keeping safe such as Active Self Protection

I've had the opposite reaction. Some friends have asked that I stop sending this stuff to them. Seems to upset their world view, since they don't need guns. Not even when the Coyote was stalking their pet dog.

As much as I would love for my wife to carry, she doesn't want to.
At the end of the day, it's her choice.
I'm all for encouraging them to carry, but I strongly oppose the pressuring of anyone to carry.
If you make someone carry and a situation goes south, we all know that if they draw and hesitate there's a significant chance they get shot with their own weapon.
If they are willing to carry and use a firearm, I'll assist with as much of the process as I can, but I won't pressure anyone to carry who doesn't want to or isn't confident they'll be able to make the right choice if necessary.

Wish I could like a post more than once. The above would get several more from me.
The worse thing a spouse can do is to try and force the issue. Hell, any issue as far as females go:s0095:

Some people just aren't cut out to carry and or handle guns.
I used to know one girl that'd whirling dervish a golf club with her eyes closed and let it fly every time she tried to hit a ball.
She was special.

That first sentence is true. Anyone who carries has to KNOW (italics mean: for certain, without any doubt whatsoever) they can pull the trigger and potentially kill another human being in self-defense. That takes some deep soul-searching. For a few people I know, their honest self-evaluation was that they might not be able to do that, even at their personal peril. For them, I recommend self-defense classes and at least pepper spray—which also requires training to use.

That first sentence is true. Anyone who carries has to KNOW (italics mean: for certain, without any doubt whatsoever) they can pull the trigger and potentially kill another human being in self-defense. That takes some deep soul-searching. For a few people I know, their honest self-evaluation was that they might not be able to do that, even at their personal peril. For them, I recommend self-defense classes and at least pepper spray—which also requires training to use.
Are you saying that the second sentence is untrue? wtf

My GF and I are talking about something, like doing things around the town or something... whatever it is it leads to this conversation:
I say "I'm going to get you that Kimber Saphire you wanted in .38 to carry with you when we go out, and so you can have it if you are ever out alone or with friends and I'm not there."
She responds, "why would I ever need that?"
I respond, "because some 'explicit person' may want to do harm to you and you should be able to protect yourself."
She says "nobody would ever want to do that with all the other people out there to target, chances are it will never happen!"
I say "sure, maybe, but ya never know!"

Well she went out with friends to celebrate a birthday while I worked all night, and what does she tell me when I get home? Oh yeah, some crazy drunk tweaker chased her and her friends down Hawthorne after dinner... I'm smug about the fact she is safe and I think I just won my case. Unofficially she is taking a CC class soon.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top