JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really a deadly force situation in itself, unless the tweaker was going to do bodily harm. A gun in that situation with somebody not experienced in threat assessment and analysis and deadly force ROE could lead to more problems than it would prevent.
The point was not that she needed a gun in that specific situation, but had just that day denied that she would ever be targeted by some whacko in refutation to carrying. I'm glad she wasn't in a situation where she needed a gun, especially since she didn't have one.

Sadly often it's hard to convince people until after something "happens". Luckily this one ended well for her. First Wife did not want to carry. State had no CC law. Was misdemeanor to get "caught". Since this was before the net I took to saving clipping from the local papers. Every attack on a woman that was not "I left some bar with some guy I just met". After a while I had a pile of them. Dropped them on the table one day and said read these. She took to always having a gun with her.
I'ma try that one next, except I'll send them to her via text. LoL

The point was not that she needed a gun in that specific situation, but had just that day denied that she would ever be targeted by some whacko in refutation to carrying. I'm glad she wasn't in a situation where she needed a gun, especially since she didn't have one.

Exactly. And it could happen again this afternoon or tomorrow. I have told the story on here before, but one day at the end of the day I had to draw my weapon as a nut case with a gun and home made silencer was standing in our parking lot looking directly at me. He moved on and robbed and shot up the place next to us.

Never occurred to me that morning that might happen that day , but it did. You never know when.

you may be right

dont ask me how i know of this.

Wow, back in 2013! I don't Keep Up With The Kardashians so thanks for posting. I just remember the Kim memes:

irony-supports-gun-control-gets-robbed-at-gunpoint-kim-kardashian-19576192.png

Looks like they got one:

article-0-18632A4E00000578-505_634x373.jpg

The best way I have found to send people down the path to carrying is saying "Have you seen this?" while sharing news stories and YouTube clips to recent local robberies and attacks. There are shows on the Pursuit and Outdoor channels such as Stop the Threat and The Best Defense, plus several YouTube channels dedicated to keeping safe such as Active Self Protection

My GF and I are talking about something, like doing things around the town or something... whatever it is it leads to this conversation:
I say "I'm going to get you that Kimber Saphire you wanted in .38 to carry with you when we go out, and so you can have it if you are ever out alone or with friends and I'm not there."
She responds, "why would I ever need that?"
I respond, "because some 'explicit person' may want to do harm to you and you should be able to protect yourself."
She says "nobody would ever want to do that with all the other people out there to target, chances are it will never happen!"
I say "sure, maybe, but ya never know!"

Well she went out with friends to celebrate a birthday while I worked all night, and what does she tell me when I get home? Oh yeah, some crazy drunk tweaker chased her and her friends down Hawthorne after dinner... I'm smug about the fact she is safe and I think I just won my case. Unofficially she is taking a CC class soon.
If you can find a class that includes live fire you would be money ahead, especially if the certificate is recognized by other states.
The one I took was just classroom stuff.

Then take her to a range that has a large rental fleet and let her try some different designs.

you may be right

dont ask me how i know of this.
I absolutely loath that show Keeping up the Kartrashians...
It is everything wrong with our country, broadcasted to impressionable teenagers/young adults, spreading the idea of a completely unrealistic lifestyle. Kids watch it and get the idea that they shouldn't have to get a traditional job... that they can youtube, or fashion, or tweet thier way to fame and fortune. It's the root of the millennial mindset of intitlement, and bassackwards priorities.

Those evil women succeeded in the complete demasculinization of one of our country's greatest athletes of all time... and it was celebrated in hollywood as a courageous accomplishment! They publicly assasinated the traditional american family... the preservation of which is answer to 99% of all our social, and economic issues. imo.

Kim Kartrashian says "I don't like guns" and BAM!... Millions of her little sheeple, with no need for explanation or debate, are instantly anti-gun. The level of ignorance they are allowed to spread in the name of entertainment is appalling!

Sorry about the off topic rant...:rolleyes:

The best way I have found to send people down the path to carrying is saying "Have you seen this?" while sharing news stories and YouTube clips to recent local robberies and attacks. There are shows on the Pursuit and Outdoor channels such as Stop the Threat and The Best Defense, plus several YouTube channels dedicated to keeping safe such as Active Self Protection
I'll sometimes watch horror shows and actively ask myself before it starts, what could I do with a gun that would change the outcome of all the coming murder and mayhem.
It invariably involves instantly blasting some bad guy or whatever and would make a very sucky and short movie.
guns are awesome

This year Portland has provided a bounty of "Crazy bubblegumer randomly stabs innocent in public" stories. "Wow! Have you seen this? How, what way would be the best to protect yourself from a crazy like that?"

Point out that you can't just put a pistol in your purse or even open carry loaded in some anti-gun cities without a CHL. Invite them to go shooting and start then on the path. Dr. William Aprill has been on several podcasts and offers excellent advice:

I usually have these podcast or YouTube videos on in the background while doing paperwork.

Yep, that's why I keep telling her. I'm just glad she seems to be seeing it from my view now.

The scum shooting those people at the mall up north of us was what finally woke current Wife up. She heard or saw footage of 2 victims. Woman was with her mother who was very elderly and could not get away from him. Wife said she could see that happening with her Mom who is over 90 now. Got her to carry all the time again. Great by me.

I have a friend who never carried with one in the chamber. I kept showing him DGU's in which the victim could have never had the time or the room. There was one recently in which the victim tried to rack a round, caused a malf, and the video shows he and his son getting shot to death. He now carries with a round in the chamber and he made it a point to tell me how much it is because of my influence.

I absolutely loath that show Keeping up the Kartrashians...
It is everything wrong with our country, broadcasted to impressionable teenagers/young adults, spreading the idea of a completely unrealistic lifestyle. Kids watch it and get the idea that they shouldn't have to get a traditional job... that they can youtube, or fashion, or tweet thier way to fame and fortune. It's the root of the millennial mindset of intitlement, and bassackwards priorities.

Those evil women succeeded in the complete demasculinization of one of our country's greatest athletes of all time... and it was celebrated in hollywood as a courageous accomplishment! They publicly assasinated the traditional american family... the preservation of which is answer to 99% of all our social, and economic issues. imo.

Kim Kartrashian says "I don't like guns" and BAM!... Millions of her little sheeple, with no need for explanation or debate, are instantly anti-gun. The level of ignorance they are allowed to spread in the name of entertainment is appalling!

Sorry about the off topic rant...:rolleyes:
I have to dissent, but I agree that they are everything wrong with America and are evident of our moral, economic, and cultural decay as a people. They are only a symptom, but not the cause. I would see Bruce Jenner transitioning into Kaytlin Jenner as the only positive aspect to their existence, but I believe it was a publicity stunt more than anything.
They should be canceled and ignored...
Sorry, I know it's off topic and all, but I approve of your sentiments regarding them.

My wife doesn't carry and it will be a long time if ever that my 20 year old daughter would consider it so I carry for all of us.

My only redemption is that they both have good heads on their shoulders and at least bare minimum hand combat skills.

I keep asking my wife to get a CHL so i can leave my gun in the car when I pump gas etc.

Have less then a year and my kid will be 21 and I'll try to coax her into a CHL so I can just leave a gun in a safe in both vehicles and not have to do the insert and remove routine while being parinoid I may forget and my kid will be driving around with a pistol in the safe.

For now mace will have to suffice, I envy y'all with wives that carry (or the hubby's for you ladies).

I wish to god that my wife would take a class even if she never carries. I think it is good for all of our wives to know how just in case we are not home. Mine could use the bed side gun or the AR in a shot lock if needed. One of these days I will get her to the range and let her use different guns.

My wife used to ask all the time if I am carrying. She now knows I always do and doesn't ask anymore. ;)

I wish to god that my wife would take a class even if she never carries. I think it is good for all of our wives to know how just in case we are not home. Mine could use the bed side gun or the AR in a shot lock if needed. One of these days I will get her to the range and let her use different guns.

My wife used to ask all the time if I am carrying. She now knows I always do and doesn't ask anymore. ;)

Daytime couples date at the range:rolleyes:

As much as I'd like to have my wife carry, she hasn't yet made the decision to do so, and I won't push her. She knows she is welcome to purchase any gun and carry rig she would like. But at this point, while she greatly appreciates that I carry (and sometimes likes to ask if I am, just for her own assurance), she just isn't ready yet.

As @CHLChris noted, carrying everyday is a lifestyle choice, one that changes/alters decisions, from what you wear, to where you go, to how you act. If you don't have a passion or commitment to it, it may not be the best decision. When carrying, it's necessary to be aware of the fact that you are armed, and be vigilant that your gun is not only concealed, but fully in your control - and since many carry options for women are based on a purse or bag, it adds another layer of necessary vigilance to an often distracted day (espeicially with children around).

The way my wife dresses, some carry options simply won't work. She's not open to bra carry, or ankle carry and a shoulder rig or waist holster simply aren't going to work. And I get concerned about using purses or other bags for carry because they are not always right next to you, and not always in your control. Kids can get into them, they can easily walk away, or you could find yourself 50 feet from it when you actually need it and can't get to it.

I won't push her to carry, but will encourage her. I will do what I can to assist including putting her in touch with training tailored to women who carry. But she also needs to commit to that training and to practicing if she's going to carry. When she's ready, we'll make that happen. But because there are decisions and commitments that have to be made, it will have to come in her time, not mine.

All that said, recent events are beginning to get her attention, and she may get to that place not so far down the road.
^^^This is my situation. My wife is open to going shooting with me, she's learned so much about firearms, and now has expressed a desire to have her very own sidearm... But has expressed zero interest in carrying.

Next step is we'll go shopping for her first pistol... Then I'll get her to practice and practic and practice some more... I'm encouraging her to get her chl, just in case she decides to begin carrying...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews