JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You were the one saying a .355/.357 only makes said/same holes. What are you saying/implying? I said what I said. I said what you said is totally untrue. And I think I was being gracious, perhaps.. it seems the 125 grain .357 jacketed hollow point out of a 4" barrel is and was conceded as being the top stopper.. of critters much larger than two pounds
Maybe you should stick that .22-250 in the closet and plug a couple critters with a good handgun for the sake of your edification.

I believe .357 is still to this day making first place for one stop kills per year. In Humans 140-250lbs

I would tend to agree, however as obvious as it is in the wrong hands or ill equipt I have seen a guy miss 30ft our a full body target with and SKS. And emptying a clip of 30 he hit it twice, ex army an too.
My point is some times I see people that served 40 years ago and thing that traing held with no further needed.
Not true, sure its like riding a bike m kinda, except if I fall off a bike I usually can get back up, you drop a mag in the wrong place or worse yet empty one in the wrong place there are consequences.
spot on, that's why when I read about how people shouldn't miss at ten feet I shake my head. A lot of things shouldn't happen but they do.......especially when you are being shot at. I have seen the best laid plans go straight to hell when someone is actually in the situation they are so sure they have under control . People who speak with such confidence most likely have never been in said situation.

spot on, that's why when I read about how people shouldn't miss at ten feet I shake my head. A lot of things shouldn't happen but they do.......especially when you are being shot at. I have seen the best laid plans go straight to hell when someone is actually in the situation they are so sure they have under control . People who speak with such confidence most likely have never been in said situation.
Very true. And that slapstick/tragic comedy down in Florida that resulted in the .40 S&W comes directly to mind. gotta blame something..

This is a bit scary. Even the title is scary. Why a rifle? Do you live in the country alone or have a house in the city with other family members?

Assuming no Zombie attacks. Personally, I think one of the best home defense weapons is a pump shotgun or something like a .38. Personally, I just don't want something that could go through multiple people/walls/houses. I would prefer a shortened 16 gauge pump which has more than enough umph to get the job done, even it you can't center the bulls eye. The sound of the wracking is of huge importance to me.

This is a bit scary. Even the title is scary. Why a rifle? Do you live in the country alone or have a house in the city with other family members?

Assuming no Zombie attacks. Personally, I think one of the best home defense weapons is a pump shotgun or something like a .38. Personally, I just don't want something that could go through multiple people/walls/houses. I would prefer a shortened 16 gauge pump which has more than enough umph to get the job done, even it you can't center the bulls eye. The sound of the wracking is of huge importance to me.

Penetration concerns are far less with a 5.56/5.7/etc of that variety than a 38 or shotgun. Shared walls and/or family....an AR and frang ammo are your best friend. Common myth, unfortunately a myth that I'm sure has lead to a few accidental hits on non BG people in said building. High velocity/small diameter rounds with frangible rounds break up fairly well in drywall, disappear in studs and anything harder. They also do solid tissue damage. Incorporate that with solid magazine capacity and an inherently accurate, low recoil platform...and you've got a very viable, if not preferred means of home defense.

Not trying to jump all over you on it. It's a super common thing to assume. Be that as it may, the most commonly used pistol rounds will zip through drywall in a hurry.

Also, racking a shotgun can do a few things:

Maybe, maybe maybe, scare someone off.

100% Absolutely give the BG a pretty good idea of where you are...not good, especially if this isn't his first time around the block. You just gave him your advantage in a hurry.

Nothing at all, he might not hear it, at which point you might want to grab your AR, they work better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top