JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I set up a Ring doorbell and some other cameras this year to augment our ADT.

I hadn't realized that people report suspicious activity and it goes out to anyone who wants to receive it...now about 5-6 times a day I get an alert from Ring with someone's footage of a guy creeping around their house, stealing packages, or getting under the cars to pull off metal to sell for scrap.

Ring has made me feel a lot less secure...ignorance was bliss.

FIL, who passed years ago, spent his evenings listening to a police scanner. Tough old bird, got more pissed than scared. Still, right up there with social media for "feeling secure." :eek:

I set up a Ring doorbell and some other cameras this year to augment our ADT.

I hadn't realized that people report suspicious activity and it goes out to anyone who wants to receive it...now about 5-6 times a day I get an alert from Ring with someone's footage of a guy creeping around their house, stealing packages, or getting under the cars to pull off metal to sell for scrap.

Ring has made me feel a lot less secure...ignorance was bliss.
It can do a lot of good to though. Since police response is pretty much out of the question now, the more people are informed and the more they work together the better.

Fe this guy was videod multiple times peeping in young girls bedrooms and even breaking into a girls bedroom once and found naked. He is well known in the se Halsey area. There are videos etc all over about him. The police have not been able to do anything to stop him so citizens got together and posted their videos of him including many staring in windows.

I think it would be helpful to have organized "neighborhood watch" or similar citizen groups now, even if it is largely relying on electronic means. The days of relying on police are over for the Portland area imo (and it's not the cops fault it's the idiotic government and POS prosecuter who is buddy-buddy with antifa members).
F8D2B5D7-DEA8-4F0B-8C16-98CBA10640AF.jpg

Last Edited:
It can do a lot of good to though. Since police response is pretty much out of the question now, the more people are informed and the more they work together the better.

Fe this guy was videod multiple times peeping in young girls bedrooms and even breaking into a girls bedroom once and found naked. He is well known in the se Halsey area. There are videos etc all over about him. The police have not been able to do anything to stop him so citizens got together and posted their videos of him including many staring in windows.

I think it would be helpful to have organized "neighborhood watch" or similar citizen groups now, even if it is largely relying on electronic means. The days of relying on police are over for the Portland area imo (and it's not the cops fault it's the idiotic government and POS prosecuter who is buddy-buddy with antifa members).
View attachment 848028

If that had been my house, the headline would have read: Local pervert reported missing....

View attachment 848028
If that had been my house, the headline would have read: Local pervert reported missing....

I would have opened a new modern art gallery to show off the first public display of the results from some of the "skills" I picked up back in the 80's while creeping around in Central America....

o_O

I am posting this so you guys know what creeps are lurking around and a couple things I noticed that may help ID them and their methods. Skip to 3rd paragraph if u only want those observations.

Yesterday I got an alert on my phone on the ring cam for the front door. When I checked I didn't see anything on the front porch but I saw a guy going up the side of the house on the edge of the ring cam video. I opened the window of the second story room I was in and said/yelled? sternly "this is private property, LEAVE NOW!" I had a double barrel 12 gauge in hand which I did not show to him. He said, "do you know where to find...?" I immediately slammed the window to let him know I was not going to listen to him. He turned and left as I eyeballed him with gun in hand.

I have a video of it from the Ring Cam which I will not post on this public forum. This happened in late morning on a sunny day. On the video u can see that the guy walked up the steps with a round cookie tin in right hand and what appeared to be a glass breaker in left hand. He looked slowly and carefully all around base of steps where a person normally keeps a key hidden under a rock or similar (I do not). He then walked up the side of the house eyeballing all basement windows (which have protection from breaking in). When I opened the window he started looking at the ground like he was looking for something (a practiced response I'm sure). After I confronted him verbally he went into some kind of practiced response, " Do you know where..." In other words, "I'm just an innocent looking for help" BS. The guy looked scummy with black coat, beige backpack and dirty ball cap and unkempt hair.

It is my feeling that the ringcam was a vital help in this. Allows one to see the problem early and nip it in the bud before it becomes a real problem. Most of these scums are cowards and will not mess with a place they know they are likely to be confronted/not an easy target. Like Col. Jeff Cooper said, "Hyenas always want to attack you from behind". I did order no trespassing signs to put up and I think scary signs is another passive way to let them know they are likely to be confronted if they think you are an easy target. Another small deterrence is I leave the blinds on the front door and windows not lowered all the way down so that is difficult for someone to see in (they do this to see if house is empty so they can break in).

Personally, I would not make my presence known and let him go about his business. I would have taken a defensive position and called 911. You essentially gave him a free pass go try the next place.

Personally, I would not make my presence known and let him go about his business. I would have taken a defensive position and called 911. You essentially gave him a free pass go try the next place.
Unfortunately calling 911 here means a response time of up to 1.5 hours for an active shooter. If you don't have many callers (as in 4 or more) and it's non life threatening, u will get no response at all. In the last year and a half I have called in on 2 armed car jackings, one homeless man beating a naked petite woman in a public park (city employee also called 911), and one woman trying to break in several houses and businesses. Of those 4 events, the police came on only one (1 of the armed carjackings), and that is likely because about 5 or more poeple called and myself and two other poeple cornered the perp in a back yard.

View attachment 848028

Folks like that only need one ending....SSS.

I am posting this so you guys know what creeps are lurking around and a couple things I noticed that may help ID them and their methods. Skip to 3rd paragraph if u only want those observations.

Yesterday I got an alert on my phone on the ring cam for the front door. When I checked I didn't see anything on the front porch but I saw a guy going up the side of the house on the edge of the ring cam video. I opened the window of the second story room I was in and said/yelled? sternly "this is private property, LEAVE NOW!" I had a double barrel 12 gauge in hand which I did not show to him. He said, "do you know where to find...?" I immediately slammed the window to let him know I was not going to listen to him. He turned and left as I eyeballed him with gun in hand.

I have a video of it from the Ring Cam which I will not post on this public forum. This happened in late morning on a sunny day. On the video u can see that the guy walked up the steps with a round cookie tin in right hand and what appeared to be a glass breaker in left hand. He looked slowly and carefully all around base of steps where a person normally keeps a key hidden under a rock or similar (I do not). He then walked up the side of the house eyeballing all basement windows (which have protection from breaking in). When I opened the window he started looking at the ground like he was looking for something (a practiced response I'm sure). After I confronted him verbally he went into some kind of practiced response, " Do you know where..." In other words, "I'm just an innocent looking for help" BS. The guy looked scummy with black coat, beige backpack and dirty ball cap and unkempt hair.

It is my feeling that the ringcam was a vital help in this. Allows one to see the problem early and nip it in the bud before it becomes a real problem. Most of these scums are cowards and will not mess with a place they know they are likely to be confronted/not an easy target. Like Col. Jeff Cooper said, "Hyenas always want to attack you from behind". I did order no trespassing signs to put up and I think scary signs is another passive way to let them know they are likely to be confronted if they think you are an easy target. Another small deterrence is I leave the blinds on the front door and windows not lowered all the way down so that is difficult for someone to see in (they do this to see if house is empty so they can break in).
[/Q

Dogs are a great alarm system and camera's are evidence .

Last Edited:
Sounds like another great case of why I have camera's outside. Working nights, sleep days, now and then some one will come to the door selling god or some other goods. I do not bother to answer but will look to see what they are doing. Most just move to the next home. Now and then I see one who is taking in the camera's since they are in plain sight, easy to see. The ones I see "scoping the place" like that get extra watching. Being a little more "observant" than the average mostly because of work I see a hell of a lot of exterior camera's now days. When walking our dogs I will spot them on a LOT of homes, which is great. best part is the dogs. Only a few pounds each but GREAT alarms if someone tries poking around. :D. They more than earn their keep. :D:D:D

Utility and insurance company's have been sending out 3rd party contractors with out mailing or calling customers and letting them know, nor the contractor calling or coming to the door the give a heads up .Most I've seen are not in any type of uniform or any way to ID them .They ignore No Trespassing signs, It looks like they think they can send any random person to come on your property without asking or letting you know this will take place. What could they be thinking. How is the occupant supposed to have any Idea if a person they find in the yard has any biz being there. even the professional criminals have the common sense to dress up like construction or utility workers and even police. My dog has caught a couple of them.
And without a doubt the 3rd party is going to find the cheapest labor possible from who knows where..
Without saying it, we all know what is going to happen someday and who will be demonized.

Last Edited:
The carelessness and bravery of these criminals is really scary. Defending your property is almost out of question, defending yourself and family is almost too much to consider without the risk of being the one going to jail or worse. Crazy times we live in!

I don't know if any of you know what Ellensburg Blues are, but it is a rather rare rock only found here.
Ellensburg's Hidden Gem: Ellensburg Blue Agate (myellensburg.com)
And I just happen to live in the middle of the best area to find them. The section behind me USED to be State property. So when we first moved out here 35 years ago, we had lots of people that thought they could just go across our property to the State section. :mad: Then the State traded it to Western Pacific Timber. WPT didn't care who went out there, so I had MORE idiots that thought they could access it across my property. After 35 years I have managed to discourage MOST of the morons, but I still get the ones that tell me "But we're just hunting rocks." Or my personal favorite, "I'll just stay in the creek bed, you can't keep me out of the creek." And now that it is Spring again, I'll have another crop to deal with.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top