JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey my northwest friends,

I've been pondering about throwing some cash in the direction of a tandem kayak for the wife and I. The sun's been shining mighty fine here in southern oregon so naturally I'm sitting at work dreaming of paddling Applegate lake and the rogue river. But then it hits me, how would I carry while paddling a kayak or standing on a paddle board?

Would I even carry?
Should I carry in a waterproof pouch?
Should I buy a cheaper handgun like a blued Taurus TCP 738 that I wouldn't care about getting wet?

What position would I carry while doing the said activity? Small of back? appendix?

So let's hear it! What do y'all do in the summer water events for concealed carry?
What water sport do you partake in? AND what do you carry? How do you carry and why?

Ryan

It's fine if it gets wet. Just clean it as soon as you can after.
I get them wet all the time, either somewhat concealed at 4ish o'clock, or exposed on the hip or leg.
If you're playing in saltwater, the el cheapo route is probably not a good idea.

Glocks are really good for this stuff.

We mostly carry HKs and Sigs, both with outstanding saltwater resistant finishes.

Oh, oh, that kind of watersports...

I think the more important factor over-all is retention. There's really only one time I recommend pistol lanyards, and that's when you're going into or on the water.

We live in a world where a lot of moderately priced handguns (glock, FN, sig, etc) are all made of stainless steel, or are coated sufficiently for them not to rust or degrade in a salt spray environment on any human timescale.

If it's salt water it better be stainless and that doesn't guarantee it will not corrode. Salt water kills everything .
Except Glocks!!!
Actually I would carry stainless in any water type outing.
There is some nice water proof boxes out there. Then tether it to you incase you fall....well when you fall out,in a kayak,lol

Why would you need to carry a gun on a kayak?

jaws-samuel-l-jackson-roy-scheider-gif-shark.gif

lol

Oh, oh, that kind of watersports...

I think the more important factor over-all is retention. There's really only one time I recommend pistol lanyards, and that's when you're going into or on the water.

We live in a world where a lot of moderately priced handguns (glock, FN, sig, etc) are all made of stainless steel, or are coated sufficiently for them not to rust or degrade in a salt spray environment on any human timescale.

Yeah I could have said Water Activities... but water sports sounds cooler.

I'll probably carry my kahr cm9 In a kydex holster of some sort...

And if the shirts off and the ol' boiler's showing, concealed or open carry probably becomes irrelevant.

I would carry if your legal. Why ? People drink on the water which leads to stupid decisions or are just plain jackass's.

And yes a dry box or Ziploc bag espesially in salt water or on a lanyard and in your life jacket pocket in fresh water. Our kayaks have a dry storage in front of the seat for quick access. They are sit on top 16' ocean kayaks w rudder.

Yes a cheaper pistol for me on the water. The little ole LCP. Nothing too fancy but works.

We try to avoid hectic places. More people = more idiots. We had the fancy aluminum fishing boat. But sold the boat have more fun on the kayaks, espesially her. Very peaceful. Now if my health would only cooperate. Really miss being on the river. Have a great time and post some adventure pics.

Hey my northwest friends,

I've been pondering about throwing some cash in the direction of a tandem kayak for the wife and I. The sun's been shining mighty fine here in southern oregon so naturally I'm sitting at work dreaming of paddling Applegate lake and the rogue river. But then it hits me, how would I carry while paddling a kayak or standing on a paddle board?

Would I even carry?
Should I carry in a waterproof pouch?
Should I buy a cheaper handgun like a blued Taurus TCP 738 that I wouldn't care about getting wet?

What position would I carry while doing the said activity? Small of back? appendix?

So let's hear it! What do y'all do in the summer water events for concealed carry?
What water sport do you partake in? AND what do you carry? How do you carry and why?

Ryan

Here you go:

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

The benefit of this compared to some other options is you can wear this and conceal, as opposed to be open carrying.

I bought one several years ago, their "recon kit bag," I use it fishing all the time when I am in a rowboat or kayak/canoe. I also use it running to keep my keys and wallet and other things inside. They have different sizes and different color options, but this is low profile, very functional for being active on the water and hiking, ect. I like it hiking because I can wear it along with a backpack with waist straps and sternum strap and they don't interfere with each other. When I am wearing this I don't jump in the water and get by pistol wet, If I was planning on jumping in the water I would either take it off before I did or I wouldn't carry. I'm not so hardcore that I have to take my pistol swimming with me.

Here you go:

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

The benefit of this compared to some other options is you can wear this and conceal, as opposed to be open carrying.

I bought one several years ago, their "recon kit bag," I use it fishing all the time when I am in a rowboat or kayak/canoe. I also use it running to keep my keys and wallet and other things inside. They have different sizes and different color options, but this is low profile, very functional for being active on the water and hiking, ect. I like it hiking because I can wear it along with a backpack with waist straps and sternum strap and they don't interfere with each other. When I am wearing this I don't jump in the water and get by pistol wet, If I was planning on jumping in the water I would either take it off before I did or I wouldn't carry. I'm not so hardcore that I have to take my pistol swimming with me.
I like that. Might need to get one myself.

I think both of those are great if you're wade fishing, but you won't see me on a kayak/SUP without a PFD, and neither option plays well with a PFD

Why would you need to carry a gun on a kayak?

View attachment 355738

lol

Exactly! For that matter, why would you need a gun in the safety of your own home? Or why would you need a gun out in public when we have the police? Guns are evil and icky and nobody besides the police and military needs one! *sarcasm font off*

I hope I've made my point. If not, I will simply say that in a kayak you may encounter all manner of people and/or wild creature depending on where you go. And anywhere you go where you encounter these things...or simply have the possibility of encountering these things...is a good reason to go armed.

OP, you will need to decide how much conceal-ability vs accessibility vs protection from the elements you are comfortable with. You could use a dry bag and stow it in the kayak. This will obviously be well protected but slow to access if you really need it. Alternatively you could go with a chest holster of some sort mounted over your life vest...or possibly under it for greater concealment. However, this may not offer the best protection against getting wet.

How about a small pelican case attached to the top of the kayak?? It would be concealed and well protected from the elements but still afford you relatively quick access...pop two latches and you're in.

As for which gun, the Sig MK25 seems like it might be a good choice for this application. Or perhaps something polymer and stainless like an M&P.

On body carry - in a retention holster. A lanyard is a good idea, but if you have a holster that securely holds the gun TIGHT, it's not needed. A good tightly molded kydex holster will work - one with a thumb break or rotating hood would be even better. Wear a light weight long sleeve UV protecting shirt, unbuttoned and draped over the gun. Plenty of PFD's that won't get in the way.

You could do pocket carry in a pocket that stays secure too. Use a good pocket holster.

Concealment on a watercraft is less of a concern than weapon retention. Safariland makes good sort-of-concealable retention holsters - concealment minded versions of their "normal" duty type holsters. I'd go with an ALS (automatic locking system) holster - thumb button deactivation, natural draw stroke, locks the gun by the ejection port.

I always have a weapon when out doing recreational outdoors. Although I carry in the woods, on the water I've always had saltwater and freshwater boats, plus driftboat or rafting. Never thought I'd need to quickdraw on somebody during boating, so the firearms have always been stored in watertight bags or compartments. Just the same, I'd never be without one. (for obvious reasons)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top