JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a small $20 dry bag between my feet in my kayaks, and on the floor in my speedboat.
- wallet
- keys
- phone
- revolver

If I have a "water event," it floats if it's sealed. If it's open (because I'm carefully using my phone to snap photos), I have a lanyard hooked to the bag. (Actually, I recently acquired a little clear sealed iPhone bag, and I'm still deciding if I like it or not.)

Unlike many members here, I'm somewhat lackadaisical about maintaining quick-draw capability 24/7 with a hot one in the chamber. I'm usually content to know I have a weapon with me - and I'm sure as hell not leaving it in my vehicle while I'm out floating.

Doing this for years, there was one time when Mrs. Teflon and I were kayaking on Columbia backwaters near a couple of the more meth infested cities in WA (or OR). As we paddled the final 400-500 yards to our launch site, we saw a beater Camaro stop momentarily to drop off a skinny dude by my truck. I got the holstered wep out of the dry bag and slipped it onto my belt.

Reaching the shore, we were "greeted" by a very friendly, jabbering tweaker (yes, I'm judgemental). I made no effort to conceal (or display) that I was armed and simply went about the business of putting up the boats and paddles. Guy even offered to help, which we declined.

I'm just glad he saw us coming and behaved like an actual human being. I really believe we'd have come back to a broken window if he and his fellow zombies had been there 5 minutes sooner. Sadly, the Camaro never came back while we were there, so there was no license plate to photograph.

Last Edited:
One cool neat thing about the old TV Series Magnum PI was that it showed him tucking his .45 Commander into his back waist band, (silly) then jumping into the ocean to swim ashore to take care of ALL the bad guys. Not enough gun, but then he was a former USN SEAL, (?) and every shot struck home?

Then the next scene in the TV Series, (sometimes) would show him in his borrowed bachelors pad at the Robin Masters Estate detail stripping down and cleaning the aforementioned Commander handgun on the kitchen table. Higgins would arrive to talk, look at the gun cleaning procedure and then just nod.

We tried about three (3) pair of very tight uncomfy jockey shorts under wear with a quick and hasty sewing machine done outline through all three of the handgun we were trying to conceal under beach wear. Usually a Walter PPK stainless. Chamber empty. Then the swim wear went over top of the jockey shorts.

Did not work. The cotton tight uncomfortable jockey shorts underwear did not support the gun enough. Then when we tried to add two, (2) spare mags alongside the pistol the weight was too much. Did I mentioned jock itch? Too heavy. Too swingy. Camouflaged under beach wear long shorts only worked sometimes.

But ... can I say this? Dunno. Sometimes did draw smiles from the bikini girls. Yep. There may be a market for an easy and quick way to clean your piece from salt water but I do not know of any. If your choose to carry and engage in water sports, you will need to consider detail stripping afterwards. No way around it. Yikes! :)

Last Edited:
One cool neat thing about the old TV Series Magnum PI was that it showed him tucking his .45 Commander into his back waist band, (silly) then jumping into the ocean to swim ashore to take care of ALL the bad guys. Not enough gun, but then he was a former USN SEAL, (?) and every shot struck home?

Then the next scene in the TV Series, (sometimes) would show him in his borrowed bachelors pad at the Robin Masters Estate detail stripping down and cleaning the aforementioned Commander handgun on the kitchen table. Higgins would arrive to talk, look at the gun cleaning procedure and then just nod.

We tried about three (3) pair of very tight uncomfy jockey shorts under wear with a quick and hasty sewing machine done outline through all three of the handgun we were trying to conceal under beach wear. Usually a Walter PPK stainless. Chamber empty. Then the swim wear went over top of the jockey shorts.

Did not work. The cotton tight uncomfortable jockey shorts underwear did not support the gun enough. Then when we tried to add two, (2) spare mags alongside the pistol the weight was too much. Did I mentioned jock itch? Too heavy. Too swingy. Camouflaged under beach wear long shorts only worked sometimes.

But ... can I say this? Dunno. Sometimes did draw smiles from the bikini girls. Yep. There may be a market for an easy and quick way to clean your piece from salt water but I do not know of any. If your choose to carry and engage in water sports, you will need to consider detail stripping afterwards. No way around it. Yikes! :)

That, sir, is why God invented Glocks. Treat 'em like last night's dirty dishes. Field strip, rinse in fresh water. Throw it in the dish washer if you want (I wouldnt, but that's because of the chemicals in the lubes and the lead residue) - in a saltwater environment I'd hose it out with some light spray oil, then hit with compressed air to get it all out of the crannies. In fresh water, when I get home I unload the magazines and swab them out and just let the gun dry out. Never had rust issues. Biggest concern for me when engaging in water sports and toting a Glock - cycling the ammo out if it's been submerged under water. The mags would get unloaded and the ammo thrown into the practice bin - and new carry ammo loaded up. When I was younger and thinner, I would often fish out of a float tube. Open carrying a Glock 21 or 17. The barrel would ride in the water. Grip &and thus magazine and chamber) were out of the water most of the time. Never had any issues, and FWIW, never had a round that got wet never fire.

I still do a lot of wade fishing and usually carry openly, so the gun still occasionally gets wet. On guns like my M&P's I would field strip and dry them out, relube, and make sure to wipe the whole thing down with a silicone impregnated cloth.

A nice blued gun would never be considered for field work. Too pretty, and rusts too easily. Closest I've come to that have been old pre-nitron Sig Sauers. They'd rust up pretty quick with surface rust if carried out on the water.

My wife and I have Delta Kayaks. There are sealed bulkheads and also a small sealed storage port right in front of the seating position. It's large enough for a Glock and some other small items like keys and cell phone. We also have waterproof bags purchased at Andy&Bax for an extra measure of protection.

Delta 12.10 – Delta Kayaks

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 8.13.39 AM.png
IMG_0254.jpg

My wife and I have Delta Kayaks. There are sealed bulkheads and also a small sealed storage port right in front of the seating position. It's large enough for a Glock and some other small items like keys and cell phone. We also have waterproof bags purchased at Andy&Bax for an extra measure of protection.

Delta 12.10 – Delta Kayaks

View attachment 356258
View attachment 356259
That looks like so much fun!
Have you ever considered a tandem kayak?
What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?
There's a reason the industry calls them divorce boats...

Down on the Tualatin, at Cook's Park, you can rent kayaks.

The wife and I had fun in singles, but couldn't get the teamwork to run a double.

Like riding 2 up on a bike, or snow machine. You can do it, but why?

Short answer to find air/water tight container, 4 words....
....WalMart food storage aisle.:)

We're boycotting Walmart for ID'ing people, remember? LoL

Love this post, makes think a shoulder rig is the way to go. Since I fish and kayak most of the available time in the summer. Thx for the post and responses!

Ps: My GF and I have tried tandem kayaking, she loves it and I still catch fish while I run the kayak... she usually sun bathes and maybe fishes (but only her way). LoL a happy wife is a happy life!

Down on the Tualatin, at Cook's Park, you can rent kayaks.

The wife and I had fun in singles, but couldn't get the teamwork to run a double.

Like riding 2 up on a bike, or snow machine. You can do it, but why?
You can rent them at Portland Kayak on McCadam? Avenue. We did that first and settled on the Delta brand because they have soft chines and are not prone to tipping over. I would highly recommend renting first, or just taking one for a test drive first.

What are your thoughts?
Tandem rentals if you have a small kid would not be a bad idea, but having a kayak is a means of exploration on the water and I'm pretty sure my wife and I would be smacking each other with our paddles in short order if we were in the same boat...lol Canoes are the worst for two in my experience

Tandem rentals if you have a small kid would not be a bad idea, but having a kayak is a means of exploration on the water and I'm pretty sure my wife and I would be smacking each other with our paddles in short order if we were in the same boat...lol Canoes are the worst for two in my experience

I am fortunate enough to have a wife who enjoys paddling - when we had a canoe, I could actually get her to do all the paddlingfor long stretches, whilest I fished. She was actually so good and strong at it, I could troll spinners or small plugs for trout :D But god help us when we tried paddling as a team - my arms are way longer than hers, and we just cannot get and maintain a rhythm, and it makes the forward progress far more difficult than just letting one person paddle and take turns at it. Hanging an electric off the back of a square stern is a good solution...:D

I like the tacti-cool milk crate. Was that an expensive option?

Well the tacti-cool model was $100 mine was around $4 maybe. It's only a knockoff of a real one , that I do have, but weighs much less. Nice for small coolers and a flag mount, and rod holders ECT. :)

One with a rod holder mounted.

IMG_2950.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads