JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Try to follow me on my "logic" here......it's a bit long, but it will get to why I carry a concealed gun at a gunshow. I grew up in the school of muzzle awareness and the basic rules of gun safety, ie. don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy, all guns are always loaded, keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target, we could go on about what order to put what in and all kinds of symantics.........but I think we all can agree it's almost like the rules of gun safety are suspended at gunshows. Couple this with the some of the unsavory types you get at a gunshow and I don't get this warm and fuzzy feeling like all the people in the room are on the same page as the nice folks behind the check-in desk. So the fact that I get a little freaked going to gunshows as it is, muzzles waiving everywhere, etc.

I take it as common sense that I am carrying my concealed handgun to protect me and my family.

Personally, I think less of anyone who would go into a gunshow that doesn't allow legal concealed carry. How is this so different from Seattle banning guns in the city park? Just imagine the political repercussions of gun rights advocates willingly giving up their legally concealed firearms to gain access to a trade show! "You disarmed for the gunshow so now you have to disarm to go into the grocery store/bank/mall/hardware store."

I say to boycott all gun shows failing to recognize your Constitutional Rights.

Empty the bullets into your pocket, put the mag in your pocket and have them zip up your gun, I went yesterday and my ccw has a 24lb spring in it and the poor guy couldn't rack my slide back for the life of him, he just gave it back to me with a zip tie around the trigger and grip safety, good enough fit right back into my shoulder holster, and that was that.

Try to follow me on my "logic" here......it's a bit long, but it will get to why I carry a concealed gun at a gunshow. I grew up in the school of muzzle awareness and the basic rules of gun safety, ie. don't point a gun at anything you don't want to destroy, all guns are always loaded, keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target, we could go on about what order to put what in and all kinds of symantics.........but I think we all can agree it's almost like the rules of gun safety are suspended at gunshows. Couple this with the some of the unsavory types you get at a gunshow and I don't get this warm and fuzzy feeling like all the people in the room are on the same page as the nice folks behind the check-in desk. So the fact that I get a little freaked going to gunshows as it is, muzzles waiving everywhere, etc.

I take it as common sense that I am carrying my concealed handgun to protect me and my family.

I believe your "logic" is the very reason they want everyone on an even playing field,with a unloaded weapon.

Then nobody gets freaked out because there IS muzzles pointing everywhere and everybody shooting everyone else.

If you have a wheel gun,have a speed loader,a semi auto hide a mag.
Leaving the show,load the gun.
Kinda simple.
But if you are skeered to go to a gun show unarmed and can't follow a simple policy,don't go to the gun show.

BTW,what,exactly ,does an "unsavory" character look like?
Tattoos? Beard? Or the ones with the Hitler mustache?

Well I decided that it wasn't really any if their concern that I had my ccw on me. As I walked through the door an officer asked if I had any guns on me, I gave him a quick no and we were on our merry way. Next time I go to a show this will be my same behavior.

I believe your "logic" is the very reason they want everyone on an even playing field,with a unloaded weapon.

Then nobody gets freaked out because there IS muzzles pointing everywhere and everybody shooting everyone else.

If you have a wheel gun,have a speed loader,a semi auto hide a mag.
Leaving the show,load the gun.
Kinda simple.
But if you are skeered to go to a gun show unarmed and can't follow a simple policy,don't go to the gun show.

BTW,what,exactly ,does an "unsavory" character look like?
Tattoos? Beard? Or the ones with the Hitler mustache?

mjbskwim,
1. With all do respect, I agree with the theory that everyone should be on the same playing field, but do you honestly believe badguys are going to follow your same logic? If we follow this logic gun control works great.
2. As for muzzles pointing everywhere, that's a complete safety violation.
3. Not scared, guarded.
4. As for unsavory types for me, it has no real defined look or type of dress, it is purely situational, but one of the last times I was at a gunshow I must say it was a bit freaky to see a kid about 10yrs. old in full Nazi dress, but then again, maybe it was some history exercize......

mjbskwim,
4. As for unsavory types for me, it has no real defined look or type of dress, it is purely situational, but one of the last times I was at a gunshow I must say it was a bit freaky to see a kid about 10yrs. old in full Nazi dress, but then again, maybe it was some history exercize......

Don't go to the Great Western Gun show in CA We saw a complete SS color Gaurd and Vikings parading around that place.

+1
Metro doesn't have the legal authority to restrict carry, only the Legislature does. Rose City/Wes Knodel, in acting as Metro's agent by renting/leasing the space cannot restrict rights that Metro cannot restrict.

are you kidding me dosent concealed mean concealed so you carry everywhere else but not in a room full of guns and ammo . why would you even tell someone that you are carrying . the only time your carry gun should be out is when you need to use it . its not for showing your buddys or trying to sell it . its to save your life!!!!!! i dont even tell my buddys im carrying its just not there business . the only person that may know is my wife since she just knows me the best

There are restrictions to CC, if the building etc. has signage, comply with it, or risk the consequences.

Although, it is illegal to carry on Max.

I think it's only a violation of Tri-Met's rules. They don't have the legal authority to regulate firearm possession, that resides only with the Oregon Legislature.

ORS 166.170:
166.170 State preemption. (1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void.

There are restrictions to CC, if the building etc. has signage, comply with it, or risk the consequences.

If the signage is unlawful, what do you do? Private property owners can restrict firearms on their property, public propery carry falls under ORS 166.

Bolded for clarity, ORS 166.173:

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.

(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

Precisely the reasons mentioned here that I don't even go to the gun shows anymore.
Having a gun show in a facility with those rules is about as hypocritical as it gets.

Numbnuts,

You are required to tell the truth about having a gun to the police if they ask. You are not required to tell them until they ask.

In Oregon.

You are NOT required to tell the truth. You are not required to respond at all. You know, your right against self-incrimination (aka "right to remain silent"). However, it is a crime to tell a lie to the police. Maybe that is what you meant?

This is really an insurance problem, if this was not observed I seriously doubt we would have any gunshows as no one would insure the prompters. You have to fight the battles you can win and this is not a battle that you can win without risking every last thing you've worked for so we shouldn't blame the prompters. Take that sense of right and wrong and direct it at the real enemies of gun control, the gunshow promoters are not the enemy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top