JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was planning on going to the show today and the thought through my head, " I wonder if they'll let me in with my ccw. I know when you enter at the front door they ask if you have any weapons but I easy thinking that's more for the person who is selling a firearm. So what's your guy's opinion should i just do it or leave it at home

I'd either leave it at home or maybe even locked in the car. If I wanted to keep it with me, I'd empty it out and leave the ammo in the car. Either way I'd declare it at the front counter and I'd make sure it was empty when I handed it over.

ALL firearms must be checked at the door and the actions zip tied. Simple as that. If your carrying you unload your pistol either in the car or at the check in table. least that is the way it has been at the couple hundred gun shows I have been to.

On duty LEO can carry loaded there.

The rest of us, vendors included, must be unloaded, and action zip tied.

You can carry it concealed if it's unloaded and zip tied.

while i support the right not to have to tell what they say is right
be warned that if you do not tell and you try and leave and some one see's it
you will have to prove it is yours as they also put color coded stickers on the guns they check

Well I geuss I have my answer, thanks guy's. Since we are taking the max today the pistol will stay at home unfortunately. It sounds like it would be alot more of a hassle than I really want to deal with.

Well I geuss I have my answer, thanks guy's. Since we are taking the max today the pistol will stay at home unfortunately. It sounds like it would be alot more of a hassle than I really want to deal with.

What hassle? Carry on the max. On the walk to the door unload your gun/mags. Declare the gun and let them put the zip tie on and the sticker.

On your way back to the max clip the zip tie and reload.

What hassle? Carry on the max. On the walk to the door unload your gun/mags. Declare the gun and let them put the zip tie on and the sticker.

Ya i decided that I was way over thinking about being "hassled" and that mine and my wifes safety are far more important than any kind of grief I may yet at the front door. I am now on the max and feel much more comfortable.

Also, leave the slide open when you hand it over so they can easily see it is unloaded. The person who put the zip-tie on should also cut it off for you when you leave.

Last time at the Portland show, the guy had a sign that read something like "I keep any ammo in any gun you hand me"; he had a small pile of ammo on the table. That gave me an idea of how may people handed him a loaded gun!

Every time I've gone to the show, I have checked my pistol or rifle in. I know of people who would carry a loaded mag (concealed) and would check their firearm in without ammo or mag inside the firearm. One of my friends had checked his firearm in and had an empty mag... once he was done with the show, he walked past security, he went into the bathroom and loaded his gun and holstered it. I guess there was a LEO in the bathroom or someone had heard him because police made contact with him and wanted to know if he had a loaded gun on him. He (my friend) said YES and he also let the LEO know that he had a valid CHL/CCW license. The officer checked his license and thanked him and let him go. SO in conclusion, you can conceal carry, have a loaded mag but if you get caught, I'm pretty sure you can kiss your CHL/CCW goodbye lol and probably get 86ed (trespassed) from the expo. The only loop hole I see is if you have an empty mag on you, you have your ammo in your pocket and if pooh hits the fan, you could load the mag or cylinder and protect yourself.

are you kidding me dosent concealed mean concealed so you carry everywhere else but not in a room full of guns and ammo . why would you even tell someone that you are carrying . the only time your carry gun should be out is when you need to use it . its not for showing your buddys or trying to sell it . its to save your life!!!!!! i dont even tell my buddys im carrying its just not there business . the only person that may know is my wife since she just knows me the best

+1

It is it NOT against the law to carry, it is against their rule. You break the rule they ask you to leave and you do so quietly and willingly not much they can do to you..............

The Expo Center is owned and managed by Metro, a local government agency.

The Rose City Gun people - Wes Knodel Gunshows - lease the space for their convention.

The CHL regs say you can't carry in "any private business or private facility where a condition of being on the premises or facility is that you not possess a firearm."

The Expo center isn't a private facility so far as I can tell so the rule is basically unenforceable. Seems like they wouldn't even have a leg to stand on if they asked you to leave.

Uhhh... I always concealed carry a loaded gun when I go to the expo center gun show. I never even considered it would be an issue. I don't think I'm gonna stop either unless someone notices and confronts me about it.

Seems like they wouldn't even have a leg to stand on if they asked you to leave.

Yes they would because if you have been asked to leave then you at minimum can end up with trespassing. If you have a gun and are trespassing I am sure they can find some other laws to though at you.

Since you say the OR regs say "you can't carry in "any private business or private facility where a condition of being on the premises or facility is that you not possess a firearm." what is the punishment for breaking that law?

Yes they would because if you have been asked to leave then you at minimum can end up with trespassing. If you have a gun and are trespassing I am sure they can find some other laws to though at you.

Since you say the OR regs say "you can't carry in "any private business or private facility where a condition of being on the premises or facility is that you not possess a firearm." what is the punishment for breaking that law?

Sorry, I should change how I phrased that. The Oregon statutes don't specifically regulate private businesses making rules.

It boils down to "carrying a concealed weapon" not being a protected class under Federal law. Just like restaurants are allowed to enforce "no shoes, no shirt, no service," private businesses have the right to basically discriminate against people carrying guns because the government has NOT made it a protected class yet.

Age, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, etc. - those are all protected classes so companies can't make rules excluding people based on those traits without a really, really good reason.

Soooo... if you are on private property where CCing is prohibited, the business owner or his agent asks you to leave, you don't, they call the police... you can be charged with criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm. Notice that there are no exceptions for CHL holders. I hope this makes sense.

§164.265
Criminal trespass while in possession of firearm
(1) A person commits the crime of criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm who, while in possession of a firearm, enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.
(2) Criminal trespass while in possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.603 §2]

The short answer to your question: the punishment for a Class A misdemeanor is up to one year in jail and/or up to $6250 in fines.

I had My Sig P238 in My pocket the whole time.. I didnt mean to I was just doing some running around before the show and forgot it was in there...

At the Albany show there was a vendor open carrying an unloaded Sig p238. It wasn't zip-tied, however I thought that it was required of EVERY gun...

Yea I noticed that as well

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads