JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it legal to carry concealed (with a valid CHL) at Multnomah Falls and the trails nearby? The USDA Forest Service website says that the falls are part of the "Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area," but I'm not sure how that relates to concealed carry.

??? Does this include the buildings? I know the law recently changed to allow in National Parks. Unsure of how that applies to:
A) National Scenic Area
B) Buildings in National Parks
C) Buildings in National Scenic Area

??? Does this include the buildings? I know the law recently changed to allow in National Parks. Unsure of how that applies to:
A) National Scenic Area
B) Buildings in National Parks
C) Buildings in National Scenic Area

If federal employees work in the building, it's illegal. The Columbia Rivet Gorge National Scenic Area is under the forest service so their rules would apply. They will specifically ban shooting but I've never seen anything from them prohibiting possession of firearms.

Does this still apply or have laws changed since 2012?

Im looking at taking the dogs hiking around the larch mountain trail this weekend and am wondering if I can still conceal carry while there?

This text is from the Forest Service website....

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are "cased gun laws".
Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National
Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar "cased
gun laws". In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.
• It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized
general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant,
quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very
specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed
species and doesn't include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.
• Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
firearms deer season.
The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
while on National Forest.
This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
primitive weapons season or chase only season.
• People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as
they possess a concealed weapon permit.
Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within
the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to
handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of
intoxicants or narcotic drugs.

If you remove the "I'm carrying concealed" button off your lapel, put away the "colt made me equal" hat, don't preform any felonious, stupid, illegal, or unsocial acts, plus make sure your retention screw is snug, you shouldn't need to worry, albeit I've known a few in my life for whom that was just too much to ask.

If federal employees work in the building, it's illegal. The Columbia Rivet Gorge National Scenic Area is under the forest service so their rules would apply. They will specifically ban shooting but I've never seen anything from them prohibiting possession of firearms.
Carry on trails, no problem. Visitor center workers are mostly USFS Employees, no carry inside.

Is it legal to carry concealed (with a valid CHL) at Multnomah Falls and the trails nearby? The USDA Forest Service website says that the falls are part of the "Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area," but I'm not sure how that relates to concealed carry.
I can't imagine going there now it is so crowded. Not only do u have to buy tickets in advance, u have to buy advance tickets even if you ride a bicycle to there instead of driving! WAY to crowded for my tastes. I've been to famous places in Europe with fewer poeple.

Last Edited:
Is this accurate???

"• Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
firearms deer season."

Well if it's truly concealed and stays that way who's to know?
I hear this said a lot, but I just want to point out that IR cameras are a thing, so I wouldn't assume going forward that "concealed means concealed". A LOT of agencies and companies used the pandemic as an excuse to tool up on surveillance, and many thought IR cams would help them detect fevers (just for example). It's a slam dunk that they will be repurposed for all kinds of things, including weapon detection. And you can't tell by looking at a camera whether it has that capability.

YMMV, etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads