JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On all the entrances to Kaiser facilities I have been to I have seen signs barring weapons, guns included.

Most likely because I believe Kieser has thier mental health unit in the same building as everything else which makes it not just a gun free zone by them but also illegal in WA by law.

At least the one in Vancouver did 20 years ago. My wife had a short bout with depression after our daughter was born.

Glad I haven't had them for insurance for the last 15, though I heard things got a little better after we left.

No one is surprised by the fact that they are going to the doctor or what they are having done or what might be involved.

I would keep it with me, until time to put the gown on. Once you get undressed, fold it neatly into your clothes and set them nicely down in a place out of the way where no one will be handling them. Even if I had to leave the room, I wouldn't worry too much; your wallet and car keys are in their too. ;)

The 5.11 case is a nice touch, because everyone will assume it is a tablet case and unless they know who 5.11 is, will just pass on through their day not caring what it is.

I especially carry if I have to go anywhere they put the "No Berettas allowed" signs or verbiage on the door telling people that weapons aren't allowed. My doctor's office would be no different.

On all the entrances to Kaiser facilities I have been to I have seen signs barring weapons, guns included.
That's news to me. They didn't have any at Sunnyside Hospital or Sunnybrook Clinic when she worked there and I don't recall ever seeing any at the Beaverton Clinic or Sunset Hospital but I'll look closer next time, not that it would matter. The 2 times my weapon became partially exposed no one said anything. Unless it's a Courthouse or such I never pay any attention to those signs. Gun Free Zones are where people get shot.

On topic but needs clarification.

In WA we are not allowed by law to be in a courthouse, public school, bar area of a business or any mental health facilities.

If they have mental health services available in the same building as the rest of the doctors then in WA at least, those no gun signs are not a suggestion.

Is that the same in OR or are y'all allowed in mental health care buildings with your CC?

In WA we are not allowed by law to be in a courthouse, public school, bar area of a business or any mental health facilities.

If they have mental health services available in the same building as the rest of the doctors then in WA at least, those no gun signs are not a suggestion.

Is that the same in OR or are y'all allowed in mental health care buildings with your CC?

"166.370 Possession of Firearm or Dangerous Weapon in Public Building or Court Facility; Exceptions; Discharging Firearm at School.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(C) A firearm in a local court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony if, prior to the offense, the presiding judge of the local court facility entered an order prohibiting firearms in the area in which the court conducts business and during the hours in which the court operates.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.
(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.
(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(g) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle."

CHL holders are exempt from the public building provision, but are bound by the Court Facility provision. In addition, I recall it's per Federal Law that places like banks, post offices and other federal buildings are prohibited.

No mention is made of hospitals, bars/taverns or mental health facilities - at least that I've ever been able to find.

That's news to me. They didn't have any at Sunnyside Hospital or Sunnybrook Clinic when she worked there and I don't recall ever seeing any at the Beaverton Clinic or Sunset Hospital but I'll look closer next time, not that it would matter. The 2 times my weapon became partially exposed no one said anything. Unless it's a Courthouse or such I never pay any attention to those signs. Gun Free Zones are where people get shot.

The signs are there, but they are small. Most people just ignore them as all they can do is ask you to leave and if you refuse they can trespass you.

"166.370 Possession of Firearm or Dangerous Weapon in Public Building or Court Facility; Exceptions; Discharging Firearm at School.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(C) A firearm in a local court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony if, prior to the offense, the presiding judge of the local court facility entered an order prohibiting firearms in the area in which the court conducts business and during the hours in which the court operates.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.
(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.
(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.
(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.
(f) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(g) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle."

CHL holders are exempt from the public building provision, but are bound by the Court Facility provision. In addition, I recall it's per Federal Law that places like banks, post offices and other federal buildings are prohibited.

No mention is made of hospitals, bars/******s or mental health facilities - at least that I've ever been able to find.

Thanks. I need to move across the border...

Only in the "restricted access areas".

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

in Oregon, if its a public building they cant ask you to leave...

Most hospitals are owned by a corporation meaning that they are not public buildings. All Kaiser facilities fit this as so Legacy, Providence, Salem Hospital and basically every hospital in the state. Also, most have signs that do not allow carry, which I routinely ignore and just make sure my gun is covered, but they can certainly ask you to leave.

i just went through this last week, put your gun in your jacket pocket and zip it up, hang your jacket in plain view.

no chance of them discovering it on you during the check up and whatever they maybe doing and no chance of printing and the rest due to whatever weird stuff people are doing to you having you do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top