JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just carry at the doctor's office same as I would anywhere else.
Last time at immediate care he lifted my shirt to stick a stethoscope on my back and froze for a split second then asked if I was on duty.
I was working a security job at the time so honestly answered "I was supposed to be but just called in sick and came here."
I'm sure he assumed I was active LE, but I didn't lie, he was happy, and nobody got hurt or cared after that.
Anyway, I'd still carry in most circumstances there. (Maybe not if having an operation or I'll be out for a while or getting loopy drugs administered...)

I carry at the dentist. No one should ever know. If I was being drugged or required to remove my clothes I would leave it in the car or at home.

I often open carry at my dentist's and doctor's offices & they don't care. I was carrying concealed at the doctor's and needed to remove my jacket so I told the nurse & her only comment was, "OK - thanks."

Last Edited:
I carry my CM-40 to all appointments. I've never seen any anti-gun signs and wouldn't obey them if I did, but would find another Doc after that appointment was over. I did have a chiropractor see it and look nervous, so I showed him my CHL and eased him into a conversation where he'd be wise to think about getting one. He relaxed after that. You may not be able to afford a new gun, but maybe you can spend $25.00 on a carry bag that looks like a standard small backpack. Nobody ever looks sideways at those. :)

I broke my hip in April 2014 & after 4 days in the hospital & 19 in the rehab center (which was posted "No Weapons! on the front door) I carried to my follow-up's at the surgeon's & my numerous physical therapy sessions at the Sunset Athletic Club on NW Cornell Rd. The PT had me moving around on the bench so I put my gun & holster on a little shelf by the door. She didn't even blink.

Doctor's connected with the Adventist Health System seem to be more pro-2A than others. I think part of it is their religious belief because they tend to be more Conservative than other doctors I've dealt with. My PCP retired and referred me to another Dr who's the youngest Medical Dr I've ever dealt with & he doesn't care if I'm packing. Again - Adventist HC System.

Looking for opinions on CC to these types of appointments.
I would like to avoid leaving my firearm in the car.
All I have is a G19 with a Hybrid IWB holster, so that's my only option.

Take the risk of them seeing it and possibly asking me to leave, or lock it up in the car?
Too bad you're not female. I keep mine in my purse, with a spare clip. I have never had a problem.

I broke my hip in April 2014 & after 4 days in the hospital & 19 in the rehab center (which was posted "No Weapons! on the front door) I carried to my follow-up's at the surgeon's & my numerous physical therapy sessions at the Sunset Athletic Club on NW Cornell Rd. The PT had me moving around on the bench so I put my gun & holster on a little shelf by the door. She didn't even blink.

Doctor's connected with the Adventist Health System seem to be more pro-2A than others. I think part of it is their religious belief because they tend to be more Conservative than other doctors I've dealt with. My PCP retired and referred me to another Dr who's the youngest Medical Dr I've ever dealt with & he doesn't care if I'm packing. Again - Adventist HC System.

Providers associated with a specific health system aren't necessarily members of the health system's religion. There aren't any nuns in the Providence ER's either!

In addition, I recall it's per Federal Law that places like banks, post offices and other federal buildings are prohibited.

I just got my CHL and in the class I took the instructor said specifically that banks aren't prohibited. As an illustration for why banks would NOT want to prohibit he said businesses dealing with large sums of money carry, and if the bank said it was prohibited they'd take their large sums of money elsewhere. It's possible the instructor was wrong of course but it was an interesting explanation so I thought I'd throw it out there.

I would leave it in the car. The last thing you want is your doctor knowing you own guns.

That's my thinking too, particularly with the current attempts in the Legislature to allow stuff like anonymous reporting of someone who might be dangerous to themselves or others. Just doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

Discussions like this are interesting to me being new to having a CHL - learning why people do/don't carry at different kinds of places.

Lucky to have a 2nd Amendment supporter for a dentist. I could probably open carry if I wanted without a problem. I don't, would prefer not to have a nervous liberal hygienist poking around my mouth with a sharp object. :eek:

Providers associated with a specific health system aren't necessarily members of the health system's religion. There aren't any nuns in the Providence ER's either!

I understand that not all Dr's in the Adventist system adhere to the religion but it turned out the one's I use are Adventists.

I spent five days at St Vincent's Hospital in Hartford, CT in 2011 & think the employees I dealt with leaned more towards the demonic. There were crucifixes, chapels & backwards collars but my stay was pure hell.

Lucky to have a 2nd Amendment supporter for a dentist. I could probably open carry if I wanted without a problem. I don't, would prefer not to have a nervous liberal hygienist poking around my mouth with a sharp object. :eek:

My Hygienist and the Dentist are both pro-2A. She's about 25 & will be a full-fledged Dentist by 30. He's a retired Air Force Dentist who got bored & decided to open a private practice. This is in Liberal Lake Oswego too.

Since I've had my permit I've carried my gun into the doctor's office. The other day I had an unexpected take your shirt off request. I let them know I had a gun, and asked if they would like it in the car or ???

The MA asked my doctor and not only did they allow it without issue, they had no problem with me removing it from my belt and laying it with my other items.

In addition, I recall it's per Federal Law that places like banks, post offices and other federal buildings are prohibited.
Banks are federally insured, but not federal property.
Post offices are off limits to CHL holders.
Banks are not.
Carry in banks, just don't scare the guard. :)
(edited typo)

Last Edited:
Banks are federally insured, but not federal property.
Post offices are off limits I CHL holders.
Banks are not.
Carry in banks, just don't scare the guard. :)

I open carry all the time at Key Bank in Tualatin & they could care less.

When I go to the P.O. I leave the gun in the console.

Best reply, if the dentist complains, look for another. My reply, wear it on your leg and be certain to wear slacks.

I wear a shoulder or hip holster. In nearly three years of OC only one guy asked me "why" in a parking lot at Fred Meyer in Wilsonville. He was a bit snotty for the first couple of minutes but I explained that I'd been confronted by four guys in a dark parking lot in Sacramento. I was carrying illegally because in 1990 you couldn't get a permit in CA. I told the ringleader to get out of my way three times & when he didn't I cocked the hammer on my snubby I'd covertly pulled from my belt. He hadn't noticed because he was in "my personal space" & when he heard the sound he looked down & saw the muzzle about an inch from his bellybutton. He apparently remembered he was late for an appointment with his Proctologist or something because all I could see were **sholes & elbows disappearing into the dark while hearing him scream, "He's got a gunnnnnn!"

After telling the guy at Freddy's about it he said, "Well, I guess that makes sense" & I hope he understands now why I carry.

Looking for opinions on CC to these types of appointments.
I would like to avoid leaving my firearm in the car.
All I have is a G19 with a Hybrid IWB holster, so that's my only option.

Take the risk of them seeing it and possibly asking me to leave, or lock it up in the car?
Buy a $25 lockbox with a cable and secure it in the car. What have you been doing when you go into a post office, VA or other federal building? Get a lockbox would be my suggestion.

I carry concealed to all doctor or dentist appointments unless I am being knocked out for some procedure. Then I lock it in the car or truck. Every doctor I go to knows I carry and why and most of them have discussed with me at one time or other. There are lots of medical people who carry too and most just want to tell you what their personal carry favorite is or they ask what you think might be good as a manstopper that they could handle. I am retired L.E. and F/A Instructor many know it, so maybe they are nicer about it..... None have ever actually seen the gun that I am aware of, but I do wear my 2nd Amendment opinions on my shirt sleeve...so to speak.
I use OWB carry most of the time, but if I know I am going to the doctor or dentist and not much else, I pocket carry. I always have an extra speed strip for pocket carry and an extra mag for belt carry...and I always have a small powerful flashlight on my belt.

When a doctor or nurse starts asking me those gun quiz questions like "is everything is alright ?" and "do I feel safe at home ?", I reply with "when did you stop beating your husband/wife..?" "would you like to tell me about it..?" That's as far as they ever asked......
wileyjackhammer

I've only been in a Federal building once in the last 3+ years and the pistol goes in the center console when I'm at the PO.

But - those cable lock boxes are cheap insurance.

I carry concealed to all doctor or dentist appointments unless I am being knocked out for some procedure. Then I lock it in the car or truck. Every doctor I go to knows I carry and why and most of them have discussed with me at one time or other. There are lots of medical people who carry too and most just want to tell you what their personal carry favorite is or they ask what you think might be good as a manstopper that they could handle. I am retired L.E. and F/A Instructor many know it, so maybe they are nicer about it..... None have ever actually seen the gun that I am aware of, but I do wear my 2nd Amendment opinions on my shirt sleeve...so to speak.
I use OWB carry most of the time, but if I know I am going to the doctor or dentist and not much else, I pocket carry. I always have an extra speed strip for pocket carry and an extra mag for belt carry...and I always have a small powerful flashlight on my belt.

When a doctor or nurse starts asking me those gun quiz questions like "is everything is alright ?" and "do I feel safe at home ?", I reply with "when did you stop beating your husband/wife..?" "would you like to tell me about it..?" That's as far as they ever asked......
wileyjackhammer

LOL! That's a great response. I've had people ask personal questions & I just look serious & say, "Oh - that's NOYB" & let them figure it out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top