JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, on and off, I have been doing research into larger scale greenhouse operations. I have some training with said and enjoy the hobby. Over the years I've built various low-tech greenhouses for various purposes. But now I am studying about the technology circa 2020 and, wowzer, things have come along way. When we have more acreage that is even ground, I would like to put in large greenhouse; primarily for our own use, but later production for side business.

Anyone have experience with the state of the art greenhouses? What type of training did you undergo? Any recommended resources I should study?

Thanks. :)

This guy's stuff is pretty intriguing:

Last year after talking to @Dyjital I planted my first garden with limited success. This year I'm moving it to get better sun, once I get better I'd like to try some of the more advanced stuff these guys are talking about.

Definitely hit up @Dyjital

Him and I have PMd in the past on a few things, he is very knowledgeable of agriculture.

This guy's stuff is pretty intriguing:

Last year after talking to @Dyjital I planted my first garden with limited success. This year I'm moving it to get better sun, once I get better I'd like to try some of the more advanced stuff these guys are talking about.
Congrats!
Time to step up the automation game... if you haven't already, now is a good time add amendments to your future soil patch.

What type of information are you seeking? My brother in law has run a very successful nursery and then a very successful mj operation. The mj operation was absolutely state of the art. It was almost 100% automated even to the point of having huge automated covers to make it dark inside to help promote flowering. He was able to get two successful harvests in a year instead of the typical one. I by no means am an expert but have seen a successful nursery and marijuana operation with a degree of sophistication I never thought possible.

As he grew up on a nursery and his dad was a horticulturist the training came from experience. As for vendors he suggests full bloom greenhouses.

@CountryGent
I think a good place for you to start, is to dig into site selection.
While us flat landers have plenty of flat and easily positional places, I'm not sure with your overall layout, slope facings and the terrain you live in aside from "Southern Oregon" and a few specifics dropped here and there about what you are between etc.

Your site selection will play a lot into the size and design of your overall greenhouse. While the automation part is cool, you may end up with a massive cold frame on the side of a hill and have no need for automated cooling as your greenhouse may never go above 75*.. Nobody is going to put a Quonset on the side of a north facing hill or a ridge and furrow under a patch trees.

The good thing is that I know I don't need to hold your hand and giving you some ideas to springboard from is going to do you good.

With that said, the repeat is:
  • Site selection
  • Access to said site
  • Water availability
  • Greenhouse design
    • The rest are just details to make the management easier.
I'll have to dig through but I may have all class notes from my previous greenhouse management class. I know I have everything in my notebook printed but digital copies may be elusive. I have almost all papers and documents handed out in many of the hort/farming classes that are all based on sustainable methods....

Also curious if you are looking at an extensive plan or an intensive (micromanaged) plan.

When it comes to building hoop houses (not greenhouses), you can look at some simple designs (bootstrap farmer) that they sell pole bending jigs etc to help people get started with low costs where you get your hands dirty.

When it comes as well to hoop house management and greenhouse management, there will be a lot of things from crop rotations that will help manage pests, fertility tests, blah blah blah.

I'm down for a road trip for spring break to survey site if you are interested.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top