JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting another handgun. Likely trading something I have for it but wanting something different. I have a few pistols and a few varieties of them but do not have any old smiths. The older Smith and Wesson 40 tactical looks cool to me but I have never shot one.

I like most of the old smiths. Never had one and always wanted one. Is there any reason to not get one?

Thinking likely a single stack 9 or 40.

Advice on a decent model would be great as well. I like the look and feel of them but of course want one that is reliable and fun to shoot.

I liked the 645s etc, they were so reliable they would feed an empty case. Down side is magazines are expensive and the bore axis is very high making quick followup shots difficult. Had a few in my lifetime but always went back to 1911.

I love the Sig 1911 I have. I do not see anything replacing that. I just want something shiny and pretty to play with....That works well.

I was going through armslist and saw a few of those smiths and they just look very cool to me. Only have a few older guns like my PPK and Browning BDA .380.

Browning is the best .380 one could want but I would like some other older metal framed guns. The ones I have are some of my favorites to shoot. Just no smiths in the collection....Yet.

The S&W 3rd generation auto loaders can't be beat. They were THE GO TO GUN for just about every law enforcement agency in the late '80s and '90s. Super reliable and always accurate, I've owned several in .40 and .45 that would feed spent casings without a hiccup!
There is a method to the model numbers; the first number(s) usually indicate the caliber (4006 is .40, 4506 is .45, 5906 is 9mm) models ending in "6" are all stainless steel, models ending in "3" have alloy frames and stainless steel slides and barrels. Do your homework and you'll find what suits you. Be aware : there is a chitlode of used law enforcement handguns out there, many being DAO (double action only) vs the traditional DA/SA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top