JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this discussion is regarding copies of various firearm models made by multiple manufacturers.

For example the HK G3, 33, and MP-5. These firearms are of course manufactured by HK in Germany, but are also licensed for manufacture in other countries such as Turkey, Greece, Pakistan, and Portugal. They are built on HK machinery using HK blueprints and under the supervision of HK engineers. Parts from any of these manufacturers are almost universally interchangeable with guns from other countries, including German built guns.

However, even with that level of quality, the licensed manufactured guns get lumped together with guns made by Omega, Century, PTR, etc as "clones". Unless it has the magical Teutonic fairy dust sprinkled on it, it's just a clone.

Now, contrast that with the FAL. Built of course by FN in Belgium (who ironically wouldn't let the Germans build them in Germany, which is how we got the G3) but also licensed to multiple countries for military production.

The difference with FAL guru's is that they do not lump all of the licensed made guns together as "clones". They have a third category where they refer to the licensed guns as "contract" guns.

An example of this would be the pre-ban Springfield Armory imported SAR-48. It was built by Imbel in Brazil under license from FN. Imbel manufacturing was so good that at one point FN contracted with Imbel to produce spare parts. The SAR-48 was 100% Imbel built and FAL users refer to it as a "contract" firearm.

Where FAL users do use the "clone" moniker is with the parts kit built guns and with commercial producers such as DSA. Many parts kits are built using Imbel upper receivers, but even if they are paired up with a Imbel parts kit, it's still considered a clone.

I would think there are examples of this in AK circles as well?

1911 guys? Is a war era Remington Rand a clone or do you call it something else?

-E-

Last Edited:
There is no secret most here, myself included, are interested in all things firearms. Some of us, most certainly yours-truly, love to read to. There have been plenty of of firearms and hunting books writing over the ages; some good, some crap, some legendary, others legendarily bad. We've been blessed that in recent years that more and more niches are being covered in print.

Which brings me to my question: what is the gun book that you would like to see written? On what topic, what breadth of coverage, and most importantly — why?

Thanks for sharing. :)

Well Germany did try and take over the world. :s0114:

As to the rest?
Doesn't matter if you call them ''Five dollar foot longs''. You still need to know everything about the MFG of a gun you want to buy.

They all have different qualities. And individual track records.
You know what I'm talking about.

Last Edited:
I would say those manufactured under contract are contract - especially if they are made on factory manufacturing machines sourced from the original manufacturer.

For "clones", those are the items made without licensing?

Well Germany did try and take over the world. :s0114:

As to the rest?
Doesn't matter if you call them ''Five dollar foot longs''. You still need to know everything about the MFG of a gun you want to buy.

They all have different qualities. And individual track records.
You know what I'm talking about.

The thread I was posted from is a completely different thread so ... :s0076:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top