JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best time to kill black berry bushes is in the fall. About September or early October you want to spray them with crossbow. The roots suck up the poison and kill them. If you do it in the spring they will grow back so if you want them out you will have to do your best to dig up the roots. :confused:
These look kind of dried up in the pics.
Maybe they already got hit with something ?

Best time to kill black berry bushes is in the fall. About September or early October you want to spray them with crossbow. The roots suck up the poison and kill them. If you do it in the spring they will grow back so if you want them out you will have to do your best to dig up the roots. :confused:
Well we set the clocks back here real soon. Can we set them back to fall? (No, wait, I don't want to go through that winter all over again!).

Okay then. Let's bring machete's, a brush cutter, axes, shovels, blow torches, bayonets, tannerite and napalm chasers! Throw in some Jack Daniels and we got 'er licked! We'll do a regular 'Tim Allen' on it with a side of Larry the Cable guy! We'll show that sucker who's boss! (manly grunts huh huh!)

Okay then. Let's bring machete's, a brush cutter, axes, shovels, blow torches, bayonets, tannerite and napalm chasers! Throw in some Jack Daniels and we got 'er licked! We'll do a regular 'Tim Allen' on it with a side of Larry the Cable guy! We'll show that sucker who's boss! (manly grunts huh huh!)

I got a couple of lbs of tannerite :). Do you think @rangerlars will let us blow it up?

Last Edited:
@Cogs I've taken out some pretty good sized patches of black berries. Two guys, one guy would do though, with bow rakes reach over/into the bramble and pull. At the same time someone with a chainsaw, or hedge trimmers, reaches in and cuts stem close to the ground. The rakers pull toward them and "Roll" as the cutter keep cutting. Once you have the big pile cut from the ground step on it to flatten the pile. Than use a pitch fork to fold, and step again. After its in a smaller package, stick a fork in the middle, pull back and jamb the fork handle in the ground, crouch, and hoist the pile above your head. Now just stand up with the cut and folded bramble over your head and take it where you need to.

Obviously you need to only cut what you can lift over your head. And OBVIOUSLY I don't/can't do this anymore! And some good leather gloves and boots are needed. Also, I always preferred a chainsaw. A string trimmer with brush blade will work also, but maybe not so good if the ground is really rocky? Loppers/hedge shears?

@Cogs I've taken out some pretty good sized patches of black berries. Two guys, one guy would do though, with bow rakes reach over/into the bramble and pull. At the same time someone with a chainsaw, or hedge trimmers, reaches in and cuts stem close to the ground. The rakers pull toward them and "Roll" as the cutter keep cutting. Once you have the big pile cut from the ground step on it to flatten the pile. Than use a pitch fork to fold, and step again. After its in a smaller package, stick a fork in the middle, pull back and jamb the fork handle in the ground, crouch, and hoist the pile above your head. Now just stand up with the cut and folded bramble over your head and take it where you need to.

Obviously you need to only cut what you can lift over your head. And OBVIOUSLY I don't/can't do this anymore! And some good leather gloves and boots are needed. Also, I always preferred a chainsaw. A string trimmer with brush blade will work also, but maybe not so good if the ground is really rocky? Loppers/hedge shears?
Sounds like maybe we need to create a temporary safe area for a couple of illegals ?

:)

We had planned on heading up the road across from Promontory Park, but were greeted with NO TARGET SHOOTING signs. A local referred us to the pit, and said it was a legit shooting place where events were occasionally held. I was just expecting a cleaner spot, I suppose. I'm new to the forum, and was attracted by the fact that many on here seem like responsible hobbyists who make respect for the shooting spots a priority. Been shooting for most of my life, and never would have thought to head out and leave a ton of trash behind me anywhere. I know it only takes a few irresponsible shooters to trash a place in a hurry. Glad I found a group that helps out.
Thanks for posting, Harlan! Yes, you found the right spot. Sometimes I think we are the only ones who care about responsible shooting and who care for the shooting spots on public land, however, I know many others out there feel the same way. It's just that we, the members of NWFA, have worked so hard at raising awareness about the situation and we continue to be dedicated to doing something about it.

Glad to have you aboard! Hope you join us at the cleanup! Will be looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you! Just signed up for Trash No Land. Looking forward to getting acquainted with the group. As I stated in my intro, I grew up carrying a rifle through the mountains of Washington and have recently returned to shooting as a hobby. After realizing range visits get expensive quickly, I set out to find a place to recreate my old shooting environment (and hopefully introduce my son to it) but have found that search to be disheartening due to limited access and littered spots. Looking forward to finding some great spots, great folks and helping make the good guys more visible than the bad ones.

Thank you! Just signed up for Trash No Land. Looking forward to getting acquainted with the group. As I stated in my intro, I grew up carrying a rifle through the mountains of Washington and have recently returned to shooting as a hobby. After realizing range visits get expensive quickly, I set out to find a place to recreate my old shooting environment (and hopefully introduce my son to it) but have found that search to be disheartening due to limited access and littered spots. Looking forward to finding some great spots, great folks and helping make the good guys more visible than the bad ones.
We have to be vigilant,and it seems to be an uphill battle.
My best suggestion is for everyone to keep lots of garbage bags in your vehicle,and try to spread the word-and as much as I hate snitching,I have NO problem reporting vandals or litterbugs.:mad:
Harlan,are you a George Jones fan,by chance?

Just for my information, how would one go about reporting vandalism/littering? Is this information usually posted at the big sites? Not that I'm itching to snitch, but I'm sure having this information readily available might be a good step...

Just for my information, how would one go about reporting vandalism/littering? Is this information usually posted at the big sites? Not that I'm itching to snitch, but I'm sure having this information readily available might be a good step...

On a weekend, it's Clackamas County Sheriff's Dept. for that sort of Non-Emergency stuff... 503-655-8218.

If it's regular business hours, call Mt. Hood National Forest Headquarters
16400 Champion Way
Sandy, Oregon 97055
Hours:
M - F 7:30am - 4:30pm
Closed 11:30 - 12:30
Telephone:
(503) 668 1700

Here's some other reference numbers that could be handy:
(From their website page: Mt. Hood National Forest - Other Permits

Fire Numbers
  • Fire Precaution Level (503) 668 1650 (Recording)

• Hoodland Rural Fire Department Business (503) 622 3256; Burn Day (503) 622 3463 (Recording)
Clackamas County
  • Sheriff Non-Emergency - Burglary, Theft, Law Enforcement Issues (503) 655 8218

• Dog Control (503) 655 8629
Fish & Wildlife
  • Poaching/Fishing Violations (800) 452 7888

• Information (503) 231 6828
And this page you will like... All about target shooting in Mt Hood National Forest. (Great videos, I must say!):)
Mt. Hood National Forest - Recreation

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads