JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So talked to my father in law and he's not able to make it. My partner and I will be coming for sure though.
Seeing as I have a pretty bad back does anyone know where I can buy a grabber or one of those poles with a spike on them you see work crews using ? Other than that would it be helpful if we brought along a couple rakes for ourselves (not sure how many my father in law is willing to let us walk off with but I figure I'll ask anyways) ?

I apologize if these are dumb questions but prior to this all my range cleanup experience was just picking up a couple extra bags of trash any time we went shooting out near the Pawnee Grasslands back in Colorado so for all I know I've been doing this wrong the whole time.

So talked to my father in law and he's not able to make it. My partner and I will be coming for sure though.
Seeing as I have a pretty bad back does anyone know where I can buy a grabber or one of those poles with a spike on them you see work crews using ? Other than that would it be helpful if we brought along a couple rakes for ourselves (not sure how many my father in law is willing to let us walk off with but I figure I'll ask anyways) ?

I apologize if these are dumb questions but prior to this all my range cleanup experience was just picking up a couple extra bags of trash any time we went shooting out near the Pawnee Grasslands back in Colorado so for all I know I've been doing this wrong the whole time.

Check out this at Harbor Freight. I use that to pick up steel cases and shotgun hulls. They probably have other pickers too.

I would get one of those dog crap claws and still a few small holes in the bucket so you can shake any dirt out.

We have some tools that you can use as well, including a wheeled magnet. There is plenty of variety of things to do and many hands to help out so no one needs to do anything that would cause a strain or be unsafe.

Not dumb question at all. I always take a couple of leaf rakes, a square point shovel. If you've got some buckets with handles, cat litter, detergent type buckets. It's easier to put small stuff in a bucket and then dump in a bag than to drag a bag all over. Some kind of gloves. I always use the mesh type with the nitrile palms. If you've got the bad back, go around with a leaf rake at move shot shells into piles and let the "Good Backs" pick 'em up.

Sorry I can't make this one too.

Road closure on hwy 224 a little ways past the exit from Hwy 212. Stay on hwy 212 through Damascus, turn right on 232nd to hwy 224. Then left through Estacada.

I just wanted to apologize profusely for having to leave about 2 hours in and having to take a few breaks while there. I have Scheuermann's kyphosis which puts a ton of strain on my back and legs when standing or walking. In the past I have been able to tolerate the pain and weakness for a couple hours and figured I would be able to do much more than I was able to. Not sure if this is due to aging or the fact I've been able to avoid yard work for a couple years (the one perk of Apartment living I guess) .

Normally I can take pain medication (prescribed by a real doctor of course, none of that hippie "medication" ) but as I was hoping to do some target shooting I didn't even bring any with me. While the stuff I take doesn't get me too loopy I just refuse to handle firearms with it in my system.

I know that the more I get out and do stuff like this the stronger my back muscles will get and I'll be able to pitch in more and be helpful in the future. Thankfully my partner was able to pick up a little slack for me. Between now and the next event we make it to I plan on doing a lot more walking and physical therapy so I can more help next time.

It was nice meeting everyone even if I didn't talk much, I'm pretty quiet at first but eventually you have to hit me with something to shut me up. Thanks a bunch to all the folks who organized this and the folks from the forest service, dump stoppers and the sheriffs office for coming. And of course thanks to everyone else who came out and kicked arse on getting that place picked up, even by the time we went home it looked a LOT better!

Thanks again for everything and next time I'll try to bring my father in law along as well as my partner and God willing I'll be in a little better shape to pitch in.

Sorry I had to bail a bit early. Here's some of the before/during pics I took with my drone. I'll try to get the video work done tonight. I'm still learning the new software though I may go and get a different/software I'm used to to get this done.

MAX_0014.JPG MAX_0015.JPG MAX_0017.JPG MAX_0019.JPG MAX_0020.JPG MAX_0021.JPG MAX_0023.JPG MAX_0025.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to apologize profusely for having to leave about 2 hours in and having to take a few breaks while there. I have Scheuermann's kyphosis which puts a ton of strain on my back and legs when standing or walking. In the past I have been able to tolerate the pain and weakness for a couple hours and figured I would be able to do much more than I was able to. Not sure if this is due to aging or the fact I've been able to avoid yard work for a couple years (the one perk of Apartment living I guess) .

Normally I can take pain medication (prescribed by a real doctor of course, none of that hippie "medication" ) but as I was hoping to do some target shooting I didn't even bring any with me. While the stuff I take doesn't get me too loopy I just refuse to handle firearms with it in my system.

I know that the more I get out and do stuff like this the stronger my back muscles will get and I'll be able to pitch in more and be helpful in the future. Thankfully my partner was able to pick up a little slack for me. Between now and the next event we make it to I plan on doing a lot more walking and physical therapy so I can more help next time.

It was nice meeting everyone even if I didn't talk much, I'm pretty quiet at first but eventually you have to hit me with something to shut me up. Thanks a bunch to all the folks who organized this and the folks from the forest service, dump stoppers and the sheriffs office for coming. And of course thanks to everyone else who came out and kicked arse on getting that place picked up, even by the time we went home it looked a LOT better!

Thanks again for everything and next time I'll try to bring my father in law along as well as my partner and God willing I'll be in a little better shape to pitch in.

Nobody is worried about you leaving early. Every body does a little, some do more, and the job gets done! :D

Looking forward to seeing some before and after pics.

That right there, folks, is a real trouper! For feeling the way she did, yet still came out in the rain to do what she could for the benefit of other shooters!

Thank you, @MooThulhu ! Glad to have met you and your partner!

Bill

So darn wet and cold, no one wanted to stay and shoot! I'm still trying to dry off and warm up.

Wow, did we clean that place up or what?!!! A thousand percent better! There's still more to go but by noon we were all so wet and cold we gave it up. Not an official count but I think there was over 15 and close to 20 people. Will figure that out when the paperwork and I dry off.

Thanks all! It really needed it! Did I say really? Yes, REALLY!

Bill

So darn wet and cold, no one wanted to stay and shoot! I'm still trying to dry off and warm up.

Wow, did we clean that place up or what?!!! A thousand percent better! There's still more to go but by noon we were all so wet and cold we gave it up. Not an official count but I think there was over 15 and close to 20 people. Will figure that out when the paperwork and I dry off.

Thanks all! It really needed it! Did I say really? Yes, REALLY!

Bill
That was my first cleanup, and I am impressed at how well you organized it, and amazed at what 15-20 people with a common goal can accomplish. In only three hours, no less!
It sure was wet all right. The minute I got home I stripped naked and wrung out my wet clothing, and jumped in a hot shower for half an hour then jumped in my bed with the electric warmer on full blast!
Looking forward to the next one. Hopefully we'll have some sunshine :)

The minute I got home I stripped naked and wrung out my wet clothing, and jumped in a hot shower for half an hour then jumped in my bed with the electric warmer on full blast!

TMI man, TMI! :eek:

Glad ya' made it boy.:D I told you those get togethers were pretty danged neat. Also, I'd have figured with your gung-ho outdoor nature you would have had proper clothing?

Thank you for coming out to help. You have no reason to apologize.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top