JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has there been any discussion with the forest department about making designated shooting areas with a backstops? Dirt lane bulldozed with a large dirt backstop, gravel pit, etc. If there were enough places available it would help reduce shooting from unsafe locations?

Has there been any discussion with the forest department about making designated shooting areas with a backstops? Dirt lane bulldozed with a large dirt backstop, gravel pit, etc. If there were enough places available it would help reduce shooting from unsafe locations?
Yes there has been and still are conversations about that. USFS did one in the Wild Cat area and ODF did some improvements in the Wolf Creek area. Talks continue and I'm sure we'll see more.

We're not calling them 'designated' shooting sites. Improved site is preferred. Reason being, we want to keep the privilege of shooting anywhere the rules allow and don't want it restricted to certain designated sites. There are general areas, however, that could receive improvements to make them more desirable areas to shoot in.

It all takes time.

@Cogs I've taken out some pretty good sized patches of black berries. Two guys, one guy would do though, with bow rakes reach over/into the bramble and pull. At the same time someone with a chainsaw, or hedge trimmers, reaches in and cuts stem close to the ground. The rakers pull toward them and "Roll" as the cutter keep cutting. Once you have the big pile cut from the ground step on it to flatten the pile. Than use a pitch fork to fold, and step again. After its in a smaller package, stick a fork in the middle, pull back and jamb the fork handle in the ground, crouch, and hoist the pile above your head. Now just stand up with the cut and folded bramble over your head and take it where you need to.

Obviously you need to only cut what you can lift over your head. And OBVIOUSLY I don't/can't do this anymore! And some good leather gloves and boots are needed. Also, I always preferred a chainsaw. A string trimmer with brush blade will work also, but maybe not so good if the ground is really rocky? Loppers/hedge shears?

This is a very logical approach and process. Obviously born from experience. I'll bring a string trimmer, rake and hedge clipper. Plus a machete cause those are fun and I never get to use it.

Cogs is there going to be a dropbox at the site or will we be moving the full bags to another location like we did a few weeks ago?
I woke up Dave, of Dump Stoppers, and he'll get dressed and meet us there with the big truck. He normally doesn't start until April, but, he couldn't resist showing up for this one!

He's a real trouper! Love Dave!

Cogs is there going to be a dropbox at the site or will we be moving the full bags to another location like we did a few weeks ago?

I woke up Dave, of Dump Stoppers, and he'll get dressed and meet us there with the big truck. He normally doesn't start until April, but, he couldn't resist showing up for this one!

@Cogs, just for @Timbertodd you should have Dave park the truck a ways off. Just for him. :p

"Woke him up" Whut? Does he hibernate or sumthin'? :s0112:

A few answers from the Forest Service to some questions:

First and always THANKS for helping out!

We will have the large dumpstoppers truck parked in the middle of the site and they will also provide bags.

Volunteers can also park in the U shaped turnout just past the 36 pit to make more room.

We can get the blackberries trimmed back but the Forest Service will have to do the work. Please don't bring power tools, herbicides, explosives, or whatever else should go on this list. I know - a lame party recipe! Sorry.

We can't do any logging :) - so we will not be moving any logs. They aren't really a problem.

Lastly and always THANKS for helping out!

We can get the blackberries trimmed back but the Forest Service will have to do the work. Please don't bring power tools, herbicides, explosives, or whatever else should go on this list. I know - a lame party recipe! Sorry.
I don't quite understand why not. If we were a trail group we would most likely be able to cut back bushes that overgrow the trail, so why can't we do the same thing here? Is it a special kind of safety concern?

And,,, What? No Tim Allen tools? So much for the explosives guys! :(

I don't quite understand why not. If we were a trail group we would most likely be able to cut back bushes that overgrow the trail, so why can't we do the same thing here? Is it a special kind of safety concern?

And,,, What? No Tim Allen tools? So much for the explosives guys! :(
Damn, I just bought a 5 gallon bucket to fill up with tannerite.. Oh well.

Now, if you really want to see a typical example of what's going on in our forests and what we are fighting for, take a look at this (From USFS)...
Trouble Shooting on the West side of Mt Hood NF
The trees and the sign being shot up really pissed me off. People who shoot signs and trees are a disgrace to shooting. I was on a trip with my dad a few years ago and we were in Southeastern Idaho and there were so many signs shot it wasn't funny. Did get to see my first live cow moose though (key word, live)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top