JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All this discussion just made me remember I forgot the last step the other day... swab with oil. I just completed that and found yet another use for the venerable hemostat's. Attached to the end of a swab wetted with oil, they serve as a perfect tool for running it down the length of short barrels :D.

I enjoy cleaning my firearms and had always been pretty consistent, but sometimes a little lazy. Then came that magical day when my son, he's eleven, asked if he could help. Now I help him. My guns have never been so consistently clean.
The same principle is at work with the riding lawnmower we got this summer.

with cleaner powders (smokeless) i clean when i get home by using a bore snake a couple of times.

every so often i do a deeper cleaning.

On a hunting or precision rifle, I don't clean after sight in or practice until after hunting season or the match. I get it where I want it then don't touch it.

Everything else probably every other time I shoot.

Bore snakes are a poor substitute for a good cleaning with a one piece rod and a good bore guide. I clean my guns every time I get back from the range, which usually is about 25 rounds per gun. I typically use 10-12 dry and wet patches total and run a bronze brush back and forth 15-25 times, depending on barrel.

Sage rat hunting I like to clean every 50-100 rounds...depends on how lazy I am that trip.

I can let it go for a few days, but it bugs me the entire time.

My dad was a B-26 pilot in Europe and taught us in the '60's to clean the guns after shooting, which is what they did on the airplane, so that's stuck with me every since.

I also clean the .22 suppressor about every 100 rounds too. Found out the hard way that if you wait too long on the .22 RF suppressor it makes things much more difficult.

I do because, its what I do. I feel its a relaxing part of after range time. It also gives me time to inspect a firearm after use. I would hate to have a firearm issue that resulted after use to be grabbed and found it was no longer functioning and had I done my inspection I would have see a bolt crack, or gas port issue etc. Things you can see if you get in and clean up. I actually caught that on my 10/22 for what ever reason the barrel got a little loose. Now being 22 the chances of injury because there was more head space is probably nil but if that was on another firearm it could have resulted in injury to me or the firearm. Cleaning is only one part, inspect and clean I don't do one without the other.

Cleaning at 50 rounds ?!

If I haven't shot 500 rounds I wouldn't even think about running a patch.

I enjoy the time at the bench, but at the range, that time is too valuable to not be shooting.

Now of course I am not tying to bullseye some target at 50m or 1800m.

I also tend to clean my .22lr every time I get home.

For the AR's it's spray brake cleaner to eliminate carbon, then a swab down with Hoppe's #9 and lube with Type A trans. fluid.:eek:
Hoppe's #9 and a few drops of type A for hand guns. They don't get that dirty.:rolleyes:

Everything that gets used on a range day gets cleaned. No exceptions. Everything in the collection gets cleaned/lubed/safety inspected twice a year. No exceptions.

Not cleaning a device after use simply because "it doesn't need it yet" is a lazy approach. Its how laziness is spread too.

Except for a couple of firearms that need to be cleaned often to stay reliable I generally will clean if I'm not going to take a firearm to the range for more than a week or so or if there's about 500 rounds since the last cleaning.

Even then it is just a field strip/clean with a detail strip/clean at about 5,000 rounds (along with spring changes).

While at the range some guns (a couple of my 1911's) will get some additional oil on the rails/barrel hood/barrel every 200-300 rounds or so.

I don't do it every time, sometimes it is a day later other times it is weeks later,once in a great while it is months later,but my home defense/self defense guns I clean right away because I'm not going to risk my life on a weapon that could however unlikely malfunction because I didn't clean it. Basically I only clean the ones I might need right away,the others I'm much less concerned about when they are cleaned.

I have one rifle Its in a glass case. I never shoot it. I clean it each time after looking at it.

really unless it rains I don't clean them unless they are dirty. Oil yes. When carbon mixes with CLP works like a detergent to keep it running clean

:s0105: Its true cause I said it on the internet

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads