JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have the Hornady 2L Sonic cleaner, and it's been great for suppressor parts. I wouldn't say it's a must have though. I think it depends on what your using it for. It's pretty helpful for that, but you have to use the right cleaner solution. Using a standard solution in it won't make the suppressor parts clean on its own. You'll still have to scrape carbon off. Find the right solutions, and it will will work the way we'd like to think a Sonic cleaner would with everything wiping clean off.

I bought a random one on Amazon. Works great for suppressor baffles. But be careful some metals like aluminum can be damaged by an ultrasonic cleaner.

I've used a HF one for years, cleaning out parts, tools and jewelry. It's not the most durable thing and shows it's been used hard.
But, it does do a great job on de-carbonizing all kinds of gun parts. The heater and timer functions both leave a lot to be desired.

Needed something bigger for a project, so picked this one up at Amazon for ~$130 where I can program the heater and have much longer sonic time. The cleaning stage hasn't happened yet, so haven't fired it up.
It is an impressive build, though.

I bought mine from a local machine shop who was upgrading. I got a commercial unit for less than what the crappy Amazon China imports cost. It also has a much larger volume. I can fit a few 28" barreled actions, if I wanted to.

It's worth looking around if you're serious.

I bought mine from a local machine shop who was upgrading. I got a commercial unit for less than what the crappy Amazon China imports cost. It also has a much larger volume. I can fit a few 28" barreled actions, if I wanted to.

It's worth looking around if you're serious.
f42273d34872df5c9f1e9eefd12bf85b.jpg

They are great labor saving devices. Like a dishwasher, you can get by without, but once you have one and use it regularly they make you lazy. They do not get everything, but they do get almost everything, and what they do not get is debatable if it worth the effort to get by hand (probably with scrapers, because if it comes off with a brush it will come off with ultrasonic).

As noted above they will destroy some things, so care is required for their use. In addition to embrittling some kinds of aluminum it will peal some coatings off and break apart some kinds of polymer. And this is with just water, before you go and start adding solvents and other stuff to make it more effective. Sticking to steal parts is the safest bet. It will do a lot more than that, but you have to make sure you know, or run tests on the substance before you can be sure. Just popping a random part in there can end badly.

And when you have one you are going to want a bigger one. Like big enough to just dunk a whole assembled rifle in, because cleaning things yourself is for smucks.

I already owned one when I started reloading, so that is the method I use for cleaning brass. I have never felt the need to place any of my firearms in the tank, but I am sure it would do a good job of cleaning.

A high power ultrasonic cleaner will eat through aluminum. So if you are cleaning aluminum parts I wouldn't leave them in the ultrasonic cleaner for very long. An ultrasonic cleaner does a magnificent job on plastic parts, especially plastic grips. By pulling the grease, oil and grime out of plastic grips it leaves a fantastic grip on the grips. Same holds for screw driver handles and golf club grips.

I picked up an 8' long ultrasonic blind cleaner for very cheap. It just needed a new fuse. I don't use it on my long arms very often. I did toss an old Turkish Mauser in it once after scraping the majority of cosmoline off of it. The hot solution of Dawn and TSP did great job of pulling the remaining cosmoline off including out of the wood. I refreshed the wood with BLO (boiled linseed oil) after it had dried.

If you are using an ultrasonic cleaner for fire arms I suggest using pretty hot water and blowing out all the nooks and crannies with compressed air. A hot solution will clean quicker. It will also warm up the metal which will evaporate off and remaining tiny water drops off quicker.

I have a bag full of WD-40. When done cleaning parts like slides I will throw parts in the bag and the bag in the ultrasonic cleaner to really drive out and last bits of remaining water.

Last Edited:
Anyone clean their firearms with ultrasonic cleaners and, if so, yea or nay? Any devices you recommend and/or avoid? Thanks.
Yea.

They absolutely have their place in firearm cleaning. Do your homework on proper cleaners for different parts.

Harbor Freight has a couple too...

I've used ultrasonic cleaners for carburetor work, but not for guns.
My question is what "detergent" are people using in one for gun parts?

I use mine extensively to clean my pistols and parts.
I do have a compressor to blow the parts dry after a good rinse.

I used to use Chemtool in a can, but it can melt some plastics.

I use a chinesium Amazon 3L (various capacities available) with simple green pro HD concentrate. Diluted to appropriate strength depending on the job. Water rinse and an air compressor.

It has user selectable heat temp and timer controls, which is highly convenient and does a beautiful job, for my needs.

I agree with others. It's hardly a "must have" tool, but it sure makes life a whole lot easier and get's into places that can be a real PITA. If mine gives up the ghost, It'll definitely be replaced.

Big "yea" from me. 👍

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top