JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to own a scrap metal business back in the early '90's. While I dealt with all metals my main thing was I had a melting pot that I would melt Aluminum down and make ingots. The pot would hold 6 transmissions at a time and would melt them in about 20 mins.

thats why I have a 12 ton MRI in my side yard
it was the same timeframe and the hospital I worked for was trying t o get rid of their old MRI
local scrape yard wouldn't take it, hospital paid $5K to get it out to my property, but they needed it out to put in the new one
it still rest in my south field today - you can see it from Google Earth

View attachment 1288408
Is the stair so you can get on it and ride it like Slim Pickens?

Home Depot supposedly takes CFL lights so next time I go I see if I can return them there. I am pretty sure back in the day I bought I lot of CFL lights there. Years ago I changed my porch lights to LED before I did my home light, We have post lamp in front of all the homes instead of street lights. I bought some Cree brand lights soft white lights from Home Depot since the LED lights last for years.
I went with a carton of tubes, boxed and wrapped ~ 1 year ago. They said they don't take them any more. YMMV

thats why I have a 12 ton MRI in my side yard
it was the same timeframe and the hospital I worked for was trying t o get rid of their old MRI
local scrape yard wouldn't take it, hospital paid $5K to get it out to my property, but they needed it out to put in the new one
it still rest in my south field today - you can see it from Google Earth

View attachment 1288408
Did they release the 100 monkeys with bats that lived in there before they removed it? :oops::oops::oops:

Man, there is no way I wouldn't be out there trying to hook a generator up to that thing to see what I could do with it. Put a bunch of steel in it and energize it in reverse to see if I could turn it into a giant shotgun. Or feed the racoons feed with steel pellets in it then lure them into the tube and BAM!
It's a super cooled magnet, doesn't work until it's below zero deg
it's a dual gas system and I don't have the chillers or a nitrogen fill
just lawn art

try Pacific Coast Shredding - In the Port of Vancouver area - that's where we go - have made up to $52 for a pickup full of mixed metal
gave them all the old bicycles the kids had for 30 years, old lawn mowers, BBQs, bent t0poles and several metal bed frames, even cars
Been my customer for many years as well as Metro Metals. Really nice people and fair prices for metal. Highly recommend.

China quit taking any of our recycling period because we kept sending them too much crap vs scrap - especially plastic. They decided it wasn't worth dealing with the crap that they couldn't recycle vs. what they could.
That plastic was just crap we imported from them that lasted seven minutes before it broke and needed purchased again.

In the mid 70s I could haul a load of scrap kitchen tin and make enough for expenses plus my efforts as a self employed plus lunch & a little folding.. The Port was a bit out of the way yet entertaining. Rig was old farm truck with 2 1/2 cord sized bed. Old bomb hoist winch made loading more possible. Gas was still under 50 cents/gallon.

ETA: One trip waiting in long line of junk haulers, next to where a ship was being loaded from a field of rusty remnants of their useful years, walking 5 abreast, was what looked like prosperous Asian business men, in ultra high dollar suits {and highly polished shoes!!!} As they passed my front bumper, the eyeballs of all of them clicked towards my prized work horse, a vintage 1951 Ford 1 1/2 ton flat bed, now itself a candidate for the conveyor belt up to the shredder. Gave plenty of chuckles later over lunch pondering what might have been on their minds.

Last Edited:
I used to work at a place where the previous department manager had accumulated tons of trade publications and catalogs. All of it garbage. I had a few of the techs go through it and throw all the plastic coated paper catalogs , which are non recyclable, in the garbage. One of the other managers went nuts and complained to the plant manager that that I was throwing all that paper in the garbage. I had to mansplain to her how recycling works and make her look like the moron she was.
You just created an enemy for life. :s0093:

Execs at the top in board meeting "

"Hear me out , I've got an idea. Let's get them to pay for a second canister, and get this, we charge them to sort the stuff this time."

"Sort, why sort the garbage Carl? You are losing me Carl!"

"That's the thing, we market it as recyclable goods and get them to put them in another bin. This means they must have the bin, which we will obviously provide."

"Lost me Carl, why on earth would anyone willingly do this when they can just put it in the first bin. We aren't sorting this stuff or have any need to sort it!"

"Easy," Carl continues, "We run a social media campaign that says if you don't your a Nazi who hates the planet and is anti global warming!"

Owner who hasn't said a word since, "I hate to say this, but I like Carl's thinking. We can grow our business, I can see a whole fleet of Recycling Trucks, keep them clean so folks think it's working. Charge the idiots twice the amount, guarantee quarterly increases due to continuous climate changes. Then I'll get ahold of those a holes over at the EPA, they should love hearing this!"
You forgot about hiring the, "Garbage Natzis" who go around checking to make sure everything is in the right can. :s0123:

Home Depot supposedly takes CFL lights so next time I go I see if I can return them there. I am pretty sure back in the day I bought I lot of CFL lights there. Years ago I changed my porch lights to LED before I did my home light, We have post lamp in front of all the homes instead of street lights. I bought some Cree brand lights soft white lights from Home Depot since the LED lights last for years.
And you don't burn your fingers on them. :p

I used to work at a place where the previous department manager had accumulated tons of trade publications and catalogs. All of it garbage. I had a few of the techs go through it and throw all the plastic coated paper catalogs , which are non recyclable, in the garbage. One of the other managers went nuts and complained to the plant manager that that I was throwing all that paper in the garbage. I had to mansplain to her how recycling works and make her look like the moron she was.
You just created an enemy for life. :s0093:
and perhaps she *was* married to her cousin. They were all happier for the drama show created by the whiny employee asking for vacation. Fak-em.

I used to get free coffee grounds from Starbucks for my garden
also got free manure from the horse stables around here
no longer - the sell their coffee ground and manures to the compost places in Longview now
but I can get a truck load of finished compost for $38, so I guess it doesn't matter
I continue to get FREE used coffee grounds from my Starbucks.

Aloha, Mark

I have completed my chance over to LED lights. The last one was set of six, 100 watt halogen lights in our master bedroom bathroom. I never looked at the bulbs but the had individual glass covers to that was put over the halogen bulb.

Now with the conversion to LED lights it uses only 8 watts per bulbs which is 48 watts instead of 600 watts.

I have completed my chance over to LED lights. The last one was set of six, 100 watt halogen lights in our master bedroom bathroom. I never looked at the bulbs but the had individual glass covers to that was put over the halogen bulb.

Now with the conversion to LED lights it uses only 8 watts per bulbs which is 48 watts instead of 600 watts.
one point we've noted is that LED lights blink more due to power fluctuation
it doesn't affect our UPS system or our fluorescents, but we now have an annoying blink across the house when the voltage spikes down just 10 VAC
our AC is stabilized at 121, but regularly fluctuates down to 110

one point we've noted is that LED lights blink more due to power fluctuation
it doesn't affect our UPS system or our fluorescents, but we now have an annoying blink across the house when the voltage spikes down just 10 VAC
our AC is stabilized at 121, but regularly fluctuates down to 110
I have APC Backups UPS for my cable modem and router and I am assuming it shows the correct voltage in our home or at least in the den. The unit shows 116 or 117 volts AC. I have never seen it drop to 110 volts. We had the older APC units years ago for console computers but I don't recall what the volages were.

I have APC Backups UPS for my cable modem and router and I am assuming it shows the correct voltage in our home or at least in the den. The unit shows 116 or 117 volts AC. I have never seen it drop to 110 volts. We had the older APC units years ago for console computers but I don't recall what the volages were.
we live near the end of the power grid in the country, literally - we get our power from La Center, just 200 yrds away they get theirs from Woodland
we get fluctuations all the time

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads