JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
King Rat, waay underrated. One of those see it before you croak movies.

Owing my weight loss and better eating habits to going keto years ago I'm torn. Bert is right on the money - carbs have a direct effect on appetite and therefore mood, attention, etc. If you're starving but don't feel like you're starving I'd wager you're better able to handle pretty much anything than to be starving and feel it.

But... starving is starving. The best option of course is to take in enough calories not to starve. So our preps include carbs - cheap, filling, easy to store long term.

One thing to look into is glycemic index. IIRC spaghetti and rice are "better" than potatoes and wheat, ie have a lower index. Legumes are better than both, so if you're going to do carbs in beans & rice go heavy on the beans, lighter on the rice. The higher the index the more your blood sugar is affected, and the hungrier you feel when you haven't eaten for a while.

You can also bulk up the calories with edible oil, fat. Typical serving of rice and beans is 300 calories. Add 2 tbsp of veg oil to that and you almost double the calories without more carbs.

Anyway, I'm w/ most here. SHTF will mean calories are king, what those calories are way down the list.

'Went walkabout over in Nepal once. Hired some porters for a buck a day. They'd only carry 80Kg of baggage on their back (MAX!). Most of our crap weighed less. 80kg is a lot of weight, multiply by 2.2 to get lbs (176 lbs or so). These guys pretty much only ate rice...just rice with an occasional Dal Baht bowl (lentils), and they carried well over 100lbs at high altitude daily. None of them were overweight, none had diabetes.

Consider that. Then go stock up on rice for when the SHTF. That's what I did.

I understand Keto (and other low carb diets) are popular among members here. If you follow this type of diet what inexpensive commercially packaged food would you recommend for survival food storage? This would be a rotated storage and food would need to be shelf stable for at least a few months.
Canned tuna in oil would probably be about the cheapest keto friendly option for storage. Canned ham. Spam. Sardines. Check out the Dollar stores for some off branded canned meats and try to find one that you actually like. The #10 cans of shelf stable dehydrated meats are great, but they are crazy expensive. The powdered eggs run about twice what real eggs cost. Possibly some of the body builder canned powered protein products would be good. To me, they taste horrible.

Keto is about the only way a diabetic will survive in a crisis situation. An EMP would eliminate the insulin supply as there would be no refrigeration for storage of liquid insulin. The supply chain for oral meds would be gone.

Good luck in your search. HTH

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR