JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand Keto (and other low carb diets) are popular among members here. If you follow this type of diet what inexpensive commercially packaged food would you recommend for survival food storage? This would be a rotated storage and food would need to be shelf stable for at least a few months.

Perhaps food isn't as important as other preps, like water.

https://thoughtcatalog.com/dr-chet-...a-year-and-he-lost-more-than-half-his-weight/

However, in search and rescue (I did a little before the kids came along) it was the mental and emotional response to something warm and comforting when someone was finally found. Not typically because they needed food, but because a warm bowl of ramen or a warm hot chocolate was reassuring and improved their mental state.

Most of us can stand to not eat FAR longer than we could last without water.

in a real survival situation, why on earth would you want keto foods?

When it comes to survival you want as many calories as you can get, and carbs are a friend instead of an enemy.

Keto is a diet you do when society is functioning properly...

in a real survival situation, why on earth would you want keto foods?

When it comes to survival you want as many calories as you can get, and carbs are a friend instead of an enemy.

Keto is a diet you do when society is functioning properly...
I have always felt that way but if you are diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant a low carb diet might be necessary. A Keto diet can have plenty of calories. It will probably cost more and be harder to find a variety of storable foods. That is why I am asking the questions. I could just eat spam but that would get boring pretty quickly.

I have always felt that way but if you are diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant a low carb diet might be necessary. A Keto diet can have plenty of calories. It will probably cost more and be harder to find a variety of storable foods. That is why I am asking the questions. I could just eat spam but that would get boring pretty quickly.
I didnt think about diabetics, thats definitely a case where low carb survival food could be important... that said, if youre a diabetic in an apocalyptic situation, youre gonna have a very hard time regardless of the carb content of your food supply

How could that be?
1666266748826.png

"Keto is a diet you do when society is functioning properly..."
^^^^^This^^^^^^
Once the defecatory matter has struck the rotary atmospheric mobilizer folks ain't gonna be too concerned 'bout where the calories come from, just that they're getting some.

I agree as a big KETO guy that if I am in a survival SHTF situation that food would not have to be KETO friendly, but of course I'd prefer that - not to keep thin or any of that nonsense which wouldn't matter at the time.

The tremendous advantage as a fat burner vs a sugar/glucose burner is the ability to go long durations without food at all.
Right now I am at about 15% BMI and could go 2-3 weeks pretty easy without any food and remain strong and clear minded.

The average person has about 1000x more usable fat energy than glucose stored in the body or what can be created by the liver. Like having a giant storage tank of gas vs a glass full. Fasting is burning fat and rebuilding the body through autophagy. Starvation is when all fats stored and consumable foods are gone for an extended time and the body starts using muscles for food.

My stored food is primarily canned meats, fish. In that situation I'd probably be considered more carnivore than Keto. The last thing I'd want in a SHTF situation is to have to worry about getting 3-6 meals a day, constantly hungry. One meal a day is a much better and easier way.

I agree as a big KETO guy that if I am in a survival SHTF situation that food would not have to be KETO friendly, but of course I'd prefer that - not to keep thin or any of that nonsense which wouldn't matter at the time.

The tremendous advantage as a fat burner vs a sugar/glucose burner is the ability to go long durations without food at all.
Right now I am at about 15% BMI and could go 2-3 weeks pretty easy without any food and remain strong and clear minded.

The average person has about 1000x more usable fat energy than glucose stored in the body or what can be created by the liver. Like having a giant storage tank of gas vs a glass full. Fasting is burning fat and rebuilding the body through autophagy. Starvation is when all fats stored and consumable foods are gone for an extended time and the body starts using muscles for food.

My stored food is primarily canned meats, fish. In that situation I'd probably be considered more carnivore than Keto. The last thing I'd want in a SHTF situation is to have to worry about getting 3-6 meals a day, constantly hungry. One meal a day is a much better and easier way.

You forgot the gravy!!

In a SHTF situation, survival is more important than staying in ketosis. Plus you'll want carbs for energy to GTFO of wherever you're trying to GTFO of.

My waist size will be the LAST thing I'm worried about if I am trying to survive.

I think there is a misconception about KETO being only for weight loss. A KETO diet adapts your body to use mainly ketones for fuel vs mainly glucose. If you take in an amount of calories equal to your TDEE you will survive just fine even in a SHTF situation. Using ketones for fuel doesn't work well for everybody including me. My energy levels plummet on KETO. My body prefers to use glucose as fuel. Running your body on glucose will be cheaper than running it on ketones unless you have some cheap sources of fat to eat.

If you plan on having to pull off a bunch of Carl Lewis type runs to get away from zombies than you might want to use glucose for fuel. If you are hunkering down at home and shooting the zombies from upstairs windows, then ketones should serve you will.

I think there is a misconception about KETO being only for weight loss. A KETO diet adapts your body to use mainly ketones for fuel vs mainly glucose. If you take in an amount of calories equal to your TDEE you will survive just fine even in a SHTF situation. Using ketones for fuel doesn't work well for everybody including me. My energy levels plummet on KETO. My body prefers to use glucose as fuel. Running your body on glucose will be cheaper than running it on ketones unless you have some cheap sources of fat to eat.

If you plan on having to pull off a bunch of Carl Lewis type runs to get away from zombies than you might want to use glucose for fuel. If you are hunkering down at home and shooting the zombies from upstairs windows, then ketones should serve you will.
Good post. Ketosis does indeed zap some people's energy. I know, I did it for a while. I lost the weight I was going for but after that I switched to a 75/25 protien/carb diet. I keep my weight right around 210 pounds for my 6'1" frame. I'm also a "gym rat" and lift and do cardio daily so it's a fairly decent 210. 34" waist, 17 1/2" arms measured at the bicep.

The keto diet was originally thought up and used to treat children with epilepsy. And it DOES work for losing weight, but I would never recommend it for long term to anyone regardless of their health status.

Oh well. When asked what I'd eat in super bad times I always refer to my original plan from the first Terminator movie. Clubbing a rat for dinner. Keto I believe haha.

RE : Post #19
What's for dinner? Rats

Recently, I re-watched a classic movie. King Rat. Oh yeah.......a sustainable meat/protein supply.

BTW, is anyone up for some, "Roof Rabbit"?

Aloha, Mark

PS..... according to the Urban Dictionary......"Roof Rabbit" = Cat Meat.
BUT, But, but......whatever, because.....
1666298412583.png

Rrrrright....just another Food Myth?
+++DO NOT click on the link if you are squeamish.+++

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany