JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Even Jack O'Conner, who hunted all over the world with a .270 allowed that when you get into Elk territory it was time to bring out bigger calibers.
What's the deal with so many hunters always wanting to use calibers where you need a magnifying glass to see the bullets?
I dont find them hard to tip over myself, I've taken them with my quarterbore pretty easy actually a 270 would be just fine.

AR's are not very good hunting rifles for brush or stalking. I did not realize that until my kid used one for their first deer. I had to tape the stock so it would not rattle. The bolt catch did just that, caught every branch or vine it could besides making noise at the wrong times.

AR's are not very good hunting rifles for brush or stalking. I did not realize that until my kid used one for their first deer. I had to tape the stock so it would not rattle. The bolt catch did just that, caught every branch or vine it could besides making noise at the wrong times.
What kind of loose fitted jankosaurus AR rattles like a maraca???

There is NO "new", "wonder", "monolithic", or "scientifically designed" bullet that delivers any benefit whatsoever to a well-placed double-lung shot (on Elk or anything else).

I have witnessed a fully-grown cow Elk instantly flattened by such a shot from a .222.

Caliber restrictions (arbitrary as they are) now serve a secondary purpose of insulating the game populations from idiots who believe a bullet designer will pull their sorry rectum out of the ditch they dug when they chose to take "the only shot I had".

There is NO "new", "wonder", "monolithic", or "scientifically designed" bullet that delivers any benefit whatsoever to a well-placed double-lung shot (on Elk or anything else).

I have witnessed a fully-grown cow Elk instantly flattened by such a shot from a .222.

Caliber restrictions (arbitrary as they are) now serve a secondary purpose of insulating the game populations from idiots who believe a bullet designer will pull their sorry rectum out of the ditch they dug when they chose to take "the only shot I had".
Not true, bullet technology and modern powders improve the ballistics of an old, archaic round. The ancient 9mm is almost as good as the newer 45acp.

Discuss.

If you look around long enough...
You can find an example that will prove your point..or give you the answer that you want.

So what...?
All that means is that it has been done...it does not mean that you can do the same....or should do the same.

Something to consider here is the difference between a range shot and hunting shot.
Range shots are made under controlled conditions....conditions rarely found , if found at all , out in the hunting fields.
One can be an excellent range shot...but a piss poor hunting shot.
Andy

What's the deal with so many hunters always wanting to use calibers where you need a magnifying glass to see the bullets?
It's all about kinetic energy. I mean, theoretically, with a large enough case and enough powder, you should be able to drive a phonograph needle at a speed high enough to create sufficient kinetic energy for a clean ethical kill on an elk.

Personally, I'll stick to my .300 Weatherby Magnum.

Not true, bullet technology and modern powders improve the ballistics of an old, archaic round. The ancient 9mm is almost as good as the newer 45acp.

Discuss.
Having explored a wide range of cartridges applied to big game, (Elk specifically, as is the subject matter), I would have to agree that the result of shooting an Elk with a 9mm OR a .45ACP would tend to be similar.

It's all about kinetic energy. I mean, theoretically, with a large enough case and enough powder, you should be able to drive a phonograph needle at a speed high enough to create sufficient kinetic energy for a clean ethical kill on an elk.

Personally, I'll stick to my .300 Weatherby Magnum.
It's NOT "all about energy". It's not even "mostly about energy".

1715700040297.jpeg
1715700661157.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top