JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me, its a reasonable maximum range because most hunting cartridges with a 200 yard zero will get to 400 with 16 to 20 inches of drop. A deer is roughly 12-14 inches from brisket to backline. If your cartridge drops 16 inches, you're only a few inches over the back and youre good.

I personally would not try it any more but, I have certainly seen many who can hit what they shoot at, at that range so why not? I don't like hunters taking "pot shots" at game animals but if someone can hit what they shoot at several hundred yards away I have zero problem with them doing so.

Yep I remeber those days when I thought I needed those big boomers to make longer shots. Ah the folly of youth. Thank god with age came some wisdom as well. I probably would still be curled up in the fetal position crying for mama if I hadn't got rid of that cursed 338 rum.

Yep I remeber those days when I thought I needed those big boomers to make longer shots. Ah the folly of youth. Thank god with age came some wisdom as well. I probably would still be curled up in the fetal position crying for mama if I hadn't got rid of that cursed 338 rum.

I definitely don't think its wise yo fear your rifle, but I will generally give myself the most margin of error that I can.

It was a love hate affair for sure. It was a model 700 rem and one of the most accurate production rifles I have ever shot. It would print 200 yd groups most guys would be proud of at 100. However, I finally realized I was starting to develop a flinch from the damn thing. Not being a fan of brakes it had to go.

Do some states have minimum energy requirements for deer hunting? Can I use a .30 Carbine SP round for the deer in Oregon? Can I hunt with a can in Oregon? Of course I would have to buy that can first. $$$ :(

Do some states have minimum energy requirements for deer hunting? Can I use a .30 Carbine SP round for the deer in Oregon? Can I hunt with a can in Oregon? Of course I would have to buy that can first. $$$ :(

WA is a 6mm bullet from a barrel longer then 4" and has to be sufficient for the game you are shooting - as a summery as far as I can remember.

I guess that leaves it up to the game wardens discression to some extent.

Shhhh..... stop talking, you'll ruin it. I'm almost there. :s0108:

CCEE16A6-2045-426A-A402-E19705F942DB.gif

I was given a well used ruger 7 mm rem mag when I was 12. It has served me well for the past 23 years. I did finally through a limb saver but pad on it a few years back as by shot number 9 I was starting to flinch a bit later in life. It has gone after bear, deer, and elk with zero issues. In the heat of the moment I would rather have more than less and when you have that animal in your sights I trust that with my 7 mag. it will go down. While a case can be made for the smaller caliber guns for me when it comes to hunting anything larger than deer I just don't see the point. Now if you only have the money for 1 gun and it needs to cover both defense and something you can hunt with well then I can see 308 or 30-06.

The biggest problem I have e on public land is if I see a shoot-able deer at say 200+ yards there is at least 3 hunters that might also see it. And one is behind you and he shoots at 300 yards. Public land can be scary at 200+ yards a lot of people dont check the surrounding area or what's behind the animal.

A good example right there. Why shoot a 308 when you can add 12mm more case length and get another 100 to 200 fps by going with a 30-06? In the same model of rifle, this difference in weight between guns might be 2 or 3 oz. probably less.
It is not just the round your 30-06 is likely to have a 26" barrel compared to the 22" more common to 308's. A person could use different powder too and get closer to the performance with a 308. The big thing here really is long actions compared to short actions. As a Kid I was taught to use a 30-30, the only acceptable deer rifle unless you were lucky enough for a 32 Winchester Special, of borrowed a Savage 99 in 303 Savage. 30-06 were ELK rifles, where is your sense of decorum?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top