JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The last few years I have hunted elk I have been in an area where a 100 yd shot is a LONG shot. I plan to remain hunting in this area for a while. I still hunt elk with my 300 win mag, but I would like to get something that isn't really for long range yet has a heavy bullet, say starting at 250 grain (just to give an idea). Don't really care about bullet drop after 150 yards.

What caliber should I look into?

.35 Whelen or the even older .45-70 come to mind of the top of my head.
For me , I use :
My as issued 03A3 ( .30-06 ) 180 grain bullets
A also as issued 1873 Springfield "Trapdoor" Rifle ( .45-70 ) 405 bullets
Or my Hawken Rifle copy in .54 .530 round ball ( weighs around 220 /230 grain or so )

Of these rifles I have gotten elk with the Trapdoor and my Hawken.
I have gotten elk with a .30-06 rifle ... Just not my 03A3 ... yet.
Andy

So for a 250 grainer you're probably looking at something with "375" in its name.
Maybe a 375 Ruger turnbolt ?

Also and if'n you're not averse to Black Rifle, then maybe something in .458 SOCOM would fit the bill ?

Ive got a marlin 1895 SBL 45/70 and i have some 350 grain hornady interlock bullets pushing 2100 fps. 1.25 MOA (off a rest at a 100 yards) the drop is perfectly managable on elk to 150 yards. After that it drops pretty significantly. Hit anything with it and its not even going to know what hit it lol. Not to mention ive got some 405 grain lead loads at like 1250 fps that make awesome soft plinkers.

I'm going 30-06 for the exact same situation.

Easy and cheap to find ammo.

Very cheap older well built guns available all the time (I'm on a budget so used is my price range - or I may borrow my hunting partners if I can't come up with the funds).

Short range Elk caliber? Short like inside 100 yards? Do not laugh but consider yet another, (?) top end for your trusty already available, (?) AR15 rifle chambered in the handy .458 Socum. (sp?). Might be just right. Also might work for that rare wild big hog.

www.undergroundtactical.com

Might also work on Polseen but not sure. :) Just kidding.

Last Edited:
I do so love the old buffalo calibers: 45/70;45/90; 45/110; 45/120; 50/70 and a host of others. All large hole thumpers and quite suitable for cast lead and the Holy Black. You will have decades of discovery if you are a hand loader/hunter.

If you haven't explored the joys of 45/70, consider this an introduction. Start with a book called "40 years with the 45/70"; written so long ago the 2nd edition has been out of print for nearly 40 years. A real 45/70 enthusiast lists his 'one-caliber' hunting experiences on everything from rabbits on up.

i use gold tip arrows with g5 montecs for my close range elk hunting. that setup weighs in at 378gr......:rolleyes::D

all bow hunting aside, i used to elk hunt with my 300winmag but since you have one of those, i would go 45-70:D

I'm going 30-06 for the exact same situation.

Easy and cheap to find ammo.

Very cheap older well built guns available all the time (I'm on a budget so used is my price range - or I may borrow my hunting partners if I can't come up with the funds).
a sporterized 03-a3 can be found for like $300. i inherited one. i love it but it sits in the safe. i dont want to ruin my grandpas rifle.

Im assuming short range means timber? I'd buy a lightweight bolt action and put a low power scope with a bold reticle. Something like a Remington Model Seven, Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, Kimber 84 Montana, Tikka T3, even a Ruger American. Something light enough to not need to sling it all the time. Get it in 308 or 30-06. I'd load a heavy for caliber bullet that will penetrate so you can reach vitals from whatever angle you get.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews