JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To me, its a reasonable maximum range because most hunting cartridges with a 200 yard zero will get to 400 with 16 to 20 inches of drop. A deer is roughly 12-14 inches from brisket to backline. If your cartridge drops 16 inches, you're only a few inches over the back and youre good.

I personally would not try it any more but, I have certainly seen many who can hit what they shoot at, at that range so why not? I don't like hunters taking "pot shots" at game animals but if someone can hit what they shoot at several hundred yards away I have zero problem with them doing so.

Yep I remeber those days when I thought I needed those big boomers to make longer shots. Ah the folly of youth. Thank god with age came some wisdom as well. I probably would still be curled up in the fetal position crying for mama if I hadn't got rid of that cursed 338 rum.

Yep I remeber those days when I thought I needed those big boomers to make longer shots. Ah the folly of youth. Thank god with age came some wisdom as well. I probably would still be curled up in the fetal position crying for mama if I hadn't got rid of that cursed 338 rum.

I definitely don't think its wise yo fear your rifle, but I will generally give myself the most margin of error that I can.

It was a love hate affair for sure. It was a model 700 rem and one of the most accurate production rifles I have ever shot. It would print 200 yd groups most guys would be proud of at 100. However, I finally realized I was starting to develop a flinch from the damn thing. Not being a fan of brakes it had to go.

Do some states have minimum energy requirements for deer hunting? Can I use a .30 Carbine SP round for the deer in Oregon? Can I hunt with a can in Oregon? Of course I would have to buy that can first. $$$ :(

Do some states have minimum energy requirements for deer hunting? Can I use a .30 Carbine SP round for the deer in Oregon? Can I hunt with a can in Oregon? Of course I would have to buy that can first. $$$ :(

WA is a 6mm bullet from a barrel longer then 4" and has to be sufficient for the game you are shooting - as a summery as far as I can remember.

I guess that leaves it up to the game wardens discression to some extent.

Shhhh..... stop talking, you'll ruin it. I'm almost there. :s0108:

CCEE16A6-2045-426A-A402-E19705F942DB.gif

I was given a well used ruger 7 mm rem mag when I was 12. It has served me well for the past 23 years. I did finally through a limb saver but pad on it a few years back as by shot number 9 I was starting to flinch a bit later in life. It has gone after bear, deer, and elk with zero issues. In the heat of the moment I would rather have more than less and when you have that animal in your sights I trust that with my 7 mag. it will go down. While a case can be made for the smaller caliber guns for me when it comes to hunting anything larger than deer I just don't see the point. Now if you only have the money for 1 gun and it needs to cover both defense and something you can hunt with well then I can see 308 or 30-06.

The biggest problem I have e on public land is if I see a shoot-able deer at say 200+ yards there is at least 3 hunters that might also see it. And one is behind you and he shoots at 300 yards. Public land can be scary at 200+ yards a lot of people dont check the surrounding area or what's behind the animal.

A good example right there. Why shoot a 308 when you can add 12mm more case length and get another 100 to 200 fps by going with a 30-06? In the same model of rifle, this difference in weight between guns might be 2 or 3 oz. probably less.
It is not just the round your 30-06 is likely to have a 26" barrel compared to the 22" more common to 308's. A person could use different powder too and get closer to the performance with a 308. The big thing here really is long actions compared to short actions. As a Kid I was taught to use a 30-30, the only acceptable deer rifle unless you were lucky enough for a 32 Winchester Special, of borrowed a Savage 99 in 303 Savage. 30-06 were ELK rifles, where is your sense of decorum?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top