JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i hunt with my 308 because not only do i reload it, its available just about everywhere if i need to buy some by chance.

i practice a LOT out at medium distance (500). ive shot 6.5 creed at this distance a few times, the amount of drop between my 308 and my buddies 6.5 isnt all that much. its a 2MOA(10") difference (200yrd zero at 500 in 6.5 creed is about 9MOA. my 308 is 11MOA)

idk ive just always used .308 cal for hunting large game. it works for me, i just dont see a need for something flatter when i have not only a DOPE chart on my scopes flip cap but also the reticle i use has holdovers marked inside of it.

i always attempt to get as close as i can to make a clean kill(idealy inside of 200yrd) but, if i saw a once in a lifetime animal id dial up the turret if i had no other option.

There is a weird trend these days with archery hunters and their willingness to fling arrows at animals 60 yards away. The worst is when the "hunter" shrugs it off.

Then there is the guy who buys a Dick's rifle/scope package and uses it without zeroing it first.

Idiots come in all seasons.
my last archery kill was a doe at 62yrd. heart shot. deer ran 15yrd and died. i practice out to 120(id NEVER shoot at an animal that far) because it makes the shorter shots seem a lot easier.

i hunt with my 308 because not only do i reload it, its available just about everywhere if i need to buy some by chance.

i practice a LOT out at medium distance (500). ive shot 6.5 creed at this distance a few times, the amount of drop between my 308 and my buddies 6.5 isnt all that much. its a 2MOA(10") difference (200yrd zero at 500 in 6.5 creed is about 9MOA. my 308 is 11MOA)

idk ive just always used .308 cal for hunting large game. it works for me, i just dont see a need for something flatter when i have not only a DOPE chart on my scopes flip cap but also the reticle i use has holdovers marked inside of it.

i always attempt to get as close as i can to make a clean kill(idealy inside of 200yrd) but, if i saw a once in a lifetime animal id dial up the turret if i had no other option.

Ill get you behind a 257 weatherby someday. 1000 fps faster, 2/3 the recoil, dont even worry about drop out to 400 if you zero at 300, which is totally doable with that cartridge.

Ill get you behind a 257 weatherby someday. 1000 fps faster, 2/3 the recoil, dont even worry about drop out to 400 if you zero at 300, which is totally doable with that cartridge.
im always down for trying new cartriges! used to shoot my grandpas old 264 win mag, that cartridge was awesome at long range too IMO.

my last archery kill was a doe at 62yrd. heart shot. deer ran 15yrd and died. i practice out to 120(id NEVER shoot at an animal that far) because it makes the shorter shots seem a lot easier.
I guess my original comment had less to do with archery, but rather having the skills and patience to get closer than 400 yards...as in having archery type skills and giving the animal more of a chance. I can understand "needing" the meat, but typically that is not the case today for the average hunter, so why not take it to the next level and get a whole lot closer and hone those skilz?

Edited:
Nice 62 yard skills. We practice at 30-50 consistantly, but my wife's bow is really only good to 40 with her draw weight.

I guess my original comment had less to do with archery, but rather having the skills and patience to get closer than 400 yards...as in having archery type skills and giving the animal more of a chance. I can understand "needing" the meat, but typically that is not the case today for the average hunter, so why not take it to the next level and get a whole lot closer and hone those skilz?

I hunt on public land, gotta take any reasonable shot! That might be 200 for one guy, 600 for another.

I dont like busy reticles and I dont have time to screw with knobs or remember to put them back to zero. I don't even like screwing with magnification knobs. With a reasonably flat shooting cartridge and a fixed 6, I can do 400 on deer. Thats not a special number or anything.

elk are a very majestic animal. what i love most about archery hunting is getting SO close that you can hear him breathing and see the steam coming out if his nose.. when that elk is that close and bugles right in your face, there is nothing else like it. to me, this is the thrill of the hunt. killing it is just a bonus.

Can you believe this motherbubblegummer had the nerve to laugh at my Ruger American loaded with .308 150gr CoreLokt? So I shot him and ripped his heart out for it... who's laughin' now Bambi, huh? :D

View attachment 499922
View attachment 499923

Think Rolling Stones here.....
Heart buster with your .308, shot a deer in the heart right in the park. You Bambi killer you. :p

im always down for trying new cartriges! used to shoot my grandpas old 264 win mag, that cartridge was awesome at long range too IMO.

When not hampered by a 22 inch barrel like Winchester originally released it in, its fantastic. Same case size as a 257 Wby, just a bit bigger bullet. In a 26 inch barreled rifle, its a heck of a hunting cartridge.

I hunt on public land, gotta take any reasonable shot! That might be 200 for one guy, 600 for another.

I dont like busy reticles and I dont have time to screw with knobs or remember to put them back to zero. I don't even like screwing with magnification knobs. With a reasonably flat shooting cartridge and a fixed 6, I can do 400 on deer. Thats not a special number or anything.
I hear you. I was surprised to find I could consistantly hit a paper plate at 600yards at DRRC with my Rem PSS .308 and Fed GM Match rounds.

elk are a very majestic animal. what i love most about archery hunting is getting SO close that you can hear him breathing and see the steam coming out if his nose.. when that elk is that close and bugles right in your face, there is nothing else like it. to me, this is the thrill of the hunt. killing it is just a bonus.

See, that makes my IBS flare up. I prefer the WHACK sound a bullet makes when it hits the ribs. :D

Do people really care about military catridges for hunting?

I have 5.56 for defense and SHTF but I keep a fuddy06 for hunting. I killed my first deer with 5.56, but only because it was all I had, and a dog sized CA coastal deer anyway.

Only hunting I would consider using military ammo for would be hosing down pigs from a helicopter.

Do people really care about military catridges for hunting?

I have 5.56 for defense and SHTF but I keep a fuddy06 for hunting. I killed my first deer with 5.56, but only because it was all I had, and a dog sized CA coastal deer anyway.

Only hunting I would consider using military ammo for would be hosing down pigs from a helicopter.

I see lots of it these days. Everything has to be AR10/15 magazine compatible or some other nonsense. Notice how many cheap bolt actions are now available in 7.62x39?

I see lots of it these days. Everything has to be AR10/15 magazine compatible or some other nonsense. Notice how many cheap bolt actions are now available in 7.62x39?
Are you sure those are not people looking for target guns?

Although I can see the appeal of a .308 that can do both for cost savings and "all purpose use for SHTF, it is a pain re-zeroing between target and hunting ammo.

A 150gr nosler accubond launched at 2750 fps from a 308 would have a maximum point blank range of 270 yds if sighted in dead on at 230 yds. This is assuming a 6" vital zone. With this zero, holding on a deers back at 330 yds. would put you perfectly in the vitals. I have only needed to take one shot beyond 330 yds. in 38 years of big game hunting.

Last Edited:
Are you sure those are not people looking for target guns?

Although I can see the appeal of a .308 that can do both for cost savings and "all purpose use for SHTF, it is a pain re-zeroing between target and hunting ammo.

I'll admit, I keep magazines of hunting ammo for my SHTF gun. BUT, the purpose of that gun is to be a good defensive tool that I can hunt with in a pinch.

But as long as I have to money to hunt recreationally, I'm using a cartridge made for hunting. Hunting ammo/bullet design is far and away better than any defensive/military stuff.

A 150gr nosler accubond launched at 2750 fps from a 308 would have a maximum point blank range of 270 yds if sighted in dead on at 230 yds. This is assuming a 6" vital zone. With this zero, holding on a deers back at 330 yds. would put you perfectly in the vitals. I have only needed to take a shot beyond 330 yds. in 38 years of big game hunting.

A 7mm Rem Mag, even using 160gr bullets, gets you another 80 yards :D

As far as military cartridges go, Yes and No! Most traditional rifles built in the last 124 years have been built in a "Standard" military cartridge and then sold to the civilian market. The only difference is usually the stock being cut or replaced with a sporter config, but they are still "Mil Spec"
Then there is the ammo, a hunter should be responsable enough to use modern bullets to harvest game! Time has provided much in technology improvements, why not take advantage! I'm with Andy, practice often and get very good with your rifle and ammo, and in realistic conditions, you owe it to the animal to be a good hunter.
If I were ever forced to be a One Rifle Hunter, That rifle would be my TIKKA SuperVarmint .30/06 or my Rhinemettal M-70 in 6.5X55 Swede! Those two are full on military calibers, and they are damn near impossible to beat with any other chambering that has come along since those two came out!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top