JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have hunted Rocky mountain Elk for about 18 years with my family. But I know live in Washington and I am choosing to try Roosevelt elk for the 2end time. I understand more how Rocky mountain elk act/live and most of the YouTube videos are Rockys.

So my questions to those that have hunted both or have observed them at least what are there differences? What are there similarities?

I am definitely putting in time in The field this summer so I already hope to learn more but, I know there are more seasoned rosy hunters out there and I'd like to hear what yall got to say

Muzzleloader. Westside. I know it's a different season but my season is the first week of October so I believe they should still be in rut or just out of it. Any advice on Roosevelt's would be great

Roosevelt Elk have big toothy grins and sport a burly mustache...
Rocky Mountain Elk favor playing a Les Paul and singing about ladies not cryin' 'cause the story is sad..... :D

Last Elk I got was west side...
I scouted during the summer...spotted some sign and game trails....
Got up earlier one season morning...and waited along the trail.
One shot from my 1800 - 1820 dated Flintlock...and the Elk was down....after running about 50 yards.
Andy

What area of the State are you going to concentrate your efforts?

Study the Game Management Unit(s), maps, property ownership, roads (and road condition), forage and water sources.

I often, due to time constraints, found it easiest to scout by driving (slowly but courteously) the open roads within the GMU. I would pay close attention to the road shoulder...it was fairly easy to see if elk had made a crossing (and if others had driven over the tracks). If I had found enough of a trail to track, I would park my vehicle (safely and courteously). After tossing a sammich in my shirt pocket and noting my location, I would chase the trail. I would always allow myself enough time to get back within an hour after sunset (subtract time for cloudy conditions). If I got onto a herd, I would try to stay with them until the were bedded...if they were feeding in the moonlight (or moving because I coughed :() , I would try to mark their position and direction of travel on my map.

The next afternoon, I would try to pickup the herd without trying to disrupt their natural behavior....I didn't want to push them out of the GMU that I was working. You don't have to do all the work in the brush, read the roads before jumping into the salmonberry and salal. Over the years there were a few times I was able to bed the herd the night before opening morning, and then find a safe and ethical position to select a legal animal.

Note: There are others using the same methods, and others using alternate methods. Some of those "others" might not appreciate that you are on "their" herd. Also, hunters come to know other hunter's vehicles...when they "hear" or realize that you are onto a herd (or that you make successful harvests every year), they may follow you.

2nd Note: Wind and Rain are your friend...

3rd Note: Scouting was my favorite part of hunting.

Enjoy your time in the Wilds.

I originally thought I was going to hunt out of unit 550 even got a Weyerhaeuser permit but only for walk on and honestly didn't like what "access" I was allowed. I hike trapper creek all summer long there for the last 2 years (GMU 572). This is all NATL forest land with roads I can drive all over. How close to logging workers will elk get?

I originally thought I was going to hunt out of unit 550 even got a Weyerhaeuser permit but only for walk on and honestly didn't like what "access" I was allowed. I hike trapper creek all summer long there for the last 2 years (GMU 572). This is all NATL forest land with roads I can drive all over.

How close to logging workers will elk get?

I originally thought I was going to hunt out of unit 550 even got a Weyerhaeuser permit but only for walk on and honestly didn't like what "access" I was allowed. I hike trapper creek all summer long there for the last 2 years (GMU 572). This is all NATL forest land with roads I can drive all over.

How close to logging workers will elk get?
Working in the woods the last 17 years I've seen elk in fresh clear cuts as soon as the loggers go home for the day. Definitely out picking in still being harvested stands on the weekends

Hunted both. The Roosevelts live in the thickest, nastiest and steepest areas you can find.... Always hear my logging buddies talk about seeing many elk in the coast range, standing out in the open, but that has not been my experience during hunting season. Recommend spending as much time out scouting as possible prior to the season.

Good Luck!!

Roosevelt Elk have big toothy grins and sport a burly mustache...
Rocky Mountain Elk favor playing a Les Paul and singing about ladies not cryin' 'cause the story is sad..... :D

Last Elk I got was west side...
I scouted during the summer...spotted some sign and game trails....
Got up earlier one season morning...and waited along the trail.
One shot from my 1800 - 1820 dated Flintlock...and the Elk was down....after running about 50 yards.
Andy
If you'd have used an 1821-1845 dated caplock that elk would've only run 45 yards…..

;) :D

If you'd have used an 1821-1845 dated caplock that elk would've only run 45 yards…..

;) :D
Sooooo.....
There I was , field dressing that there elk.
Along comes one of our Game Wardens.....
We get to talkin'....he asks to see my licence and tags....all is good.
He then asks to see my rifle...being it was muzzle loading season and all...he wanted to check on it.

So I get the rifle , pull it out of it's wool rifle case....
The Game Warden's "What the Hell....? I was not expecting that ! " was priceless.....:D
Below is the rifle....
Andy

Last Edited:
Sooooo.....
There I was , field dressing that there elk.
Along comes one of our Game Wardens.....
We get to talkin'....he asks to see my licence and tags....all is good.
He then asks to see my rifle...being it was muzzle loading season and all...he wanted to check on it.

So I get the rifle , pull it out of it's wool rifle case....
The Game Warden's "What the Hell....? I was not expecting that ! " was priceless.....:D
Below is the rifle....
Andy
Did you scalp him right then and there, or did you just cut the buttons off his shirt-front?

:D

If you can walk into it without a machete then your probably not going to find a Roosevelt.
This is generally true. But, temperature has a lot to do with where you should be looking. Warmer days, you want to be up high. Cold and windy, you're looking in copses of thicket or bramble that'll rip your clothes to shreds. I followed a fresh elk track (judging by the scat) right up to an entire hillside of blackberry that stood taller than me. It walked right up and through it, no friggin' way I was going to try that.

I often, due to time constraints, found it easiest to scout by driving (slowly but courteously) the open roads within the GMU. I would pay close attention to the road shoulder...it was fairly easy to see if elk had made a crossing (and if others had driven over the tracks). If I had found enough of a trail to track, I would park my vehicle (safely and courteously).
This is one of the best ways to easily see if there are elk in an area. IMO, they range a lot in a day, so often cross roads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top