JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all practicality, why does a hunter need to shoot 400 yds? I cannot see clearly at 400 yds...:p

If I need to shoot 400 yards I can just use .50 BMG. :D

Seriously, I don't hunt anymore because of my health, but there is nothing where I would hunt (mostly west of the Cascades) that .308 is not more than adequate to hunt with. I also have my father's elk hunting rifle - an '03A3 in .30-06 that he used to get an elk almost every year he went hunting, so that seems adequate too.

I used to have a 7mm Rem. Mag. but it was destructive on deer and I never saw a legal elk when I had it. I decided that it wasn't the cartridge that was at fault for me not seeing elk when I went elk hunting. So I sold it and now almost all of my firearms are standard cartridges, not wiz bang super magnums. Should SHTF I feel I will have better luck with my ammo supply and standard cartridges will do just fine for most purposes.

The 7mm mag is a wonderful cartridge but it will ruin some flesh when stoked with lighter bullets. The first deer I ever shot was using a 7 mag with 140 gr partitions going North of 3100 fps. Man what a mess. I found when loaded with 160-175 gr bonded or monolithic pills it really shines and meat loss is usually held to a minimum, unless big bone is hit. The bc and sd of those heavier bullets is superior to the lighter ones as well. No matter what the chambering I am usually a proponent of the heavy end of the spectrum for bullet selection. I also usually dial a rifle in with one load and leave it alone. Here are the 4 chamberings that I have taken the most game with and the bullet weights I use in them. 270 win - 140 gr., 280ai - 160gr., 7mm mag -160-175gr., 300wsm - 180gr. They all kill like the hammer of thor and meat damage is held to a minimum.

Lol, I love reading through threads like these.

Lots of "Ya, but."(s)

Hunt with what you hunt with. Just be glad you can hunt.

Hunting is no longer a necessary part of life, it is a passion, a tradition, a hobby, etc etc.

If all you have is an AR in 223/556 and you know how to use it. Awesome.

If you have a $8000 custom whatever in today's latest hot sauce and know how to humanly take a shot at 5000 yards. Awesome.

The fact is, you are a hunter, so is the other guy or gal.

You are also both gun owners.

I try to look at it that way.

As far as owning and hunting with guns in military cartridges, I think there is nothing wrong with having familiarity with the mil stuff. It's kind of the oldest game in town, manufacturers of the old focused on military contracts with military cartridges and guns. Only as of recently have we been conditioned by the manufacturers to buy the latest hot sauce of the week.

The 7mm mag is a wonderful cartridge but it will ruin some flesh when stoked with lighter bullets. The first deer I ever shot was using a 7 mag with 140 gr partitions going North of 3100 fps. Man what a mess. I found when loaded with 160-175 gr bonded or monolithic pills it really shines and meat loss is usually held to a minimum, unless big bone is hit. The bc and sd of those heavier bullets is superior to the lighter ones as well. No matter what the chambering I am usually a proponent of the heavy end of the spectrum for bullet selection. I also usually dial a rifle in with one load and leave it alone. Here are the 4 chamberings that I have taken the most game with and the bullet weights I use in them. 270 win - 140 gr., 280ai - 160gr., 7mm mag -160-175gr., 300wsm - 180gr. They all kill like the hammer of thor and meat damage is held to a minimum.

I prefer bullet weights on the heavier end of the spectrum. I'll be loading up some 160gr bullets today for the new 28 Rem Mag.

Old dawg chiming in here. Let us not overlook the venerable 30-30 Winchester for harvesting game. I have hunted with mine for years for both deer and the occasional antelope. I most enjoy the up close stalking of the quarry.

I'm still a huge fan of the .243 and 6.5X55 Swede for deer, it's almost like they were made just for deer! They also work on much larger animals should the need arise! One is a very old military cartridge, one is a later upstart based on a military cartridge! With good bullets, both punch far above their weight class!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top