JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Marlin 336 .30-30 with the factory buckhorn sights for brush and close shots on anything. I like 170 grns. over a moderate load of powder.
Savage 110 .30-'06 for anything at distance. Various bullet weights. I don't need a magnum rifle of any kind.
Small game like Coyote, AR15 scoped or with the Eotech on it. Mostly 55 grn. bullets.
Bear and other wild lands animal defense; Ruger Alaskan in .454 or XDM 5.25" 10mm or Ruger SBH in .44 mag.. All in a Kenai holster. All in varying bullet weights and velocities.
I love guns!

It all depends on where I'm hunting.
My all around go to is a .308.
I mainly use my Rem 700VTR
But I've also used my Aero AR10 in .308, and my Savage 10 in .308.
I built a new Savage with a Shilen barrel I would like to take, but I may cut the barrel down first.

If I go on some private property for deer which i have the last couple years, I take my Mossberg 590A1 with some 12ga slugs.
More of a man stopper than hunter, but it's my only shotgun and does the job.

I also have a custom 7mm on a savage action I built last year that is a sweet shooter, but it's a heavy B.
So that will only be for stationary shooting.

High hunt starts next weekend in wa for firearm. I'll be carrying savage lrh in 6.5x284. Usually the deer are 300 yes plus. If we don't get a miley back to the west side for blackmail. Savage lwh in 6.5 creed.

High hunt starts next weekend in wa for firearm. I'll be carrying savage lrh in 6.5x284. Usually the deer are 300 yes plus. If we don't get a miley back to the west side for blackmail. Savage lwh in 6.5 creed.

That keyboard/touch screen is kicking your azz! I generally have to retype everything twice because of my fat fingers.

Favorite caliber for big game is 7mm, either 7mmx57 or 7mm-08. I personally don't like big magnums, though. I have a healthy selection that I have used sucessfully over the last decade or so: .243, .25-06, 7mmx57, 7mm-08, 7.62x39, .308, 7.5x55, 8mmx57.

I have a .17WSM for pests, but its not what I mean by Magnum.

When I was a kid, my dad taught me the real value of a lever action rifle in the thick brush which dominates this side of the state.
So my favourite is .30-30. I sold my Winchester a few years ago, so if I ever get out there again, I'll have to use my dad's, but what I'd really like is a 336 so I could mount a 1-4X on it. Perfect for brush or open country.
For birds, my passion is reliving my youth telling boring old stories on internet gun forums...er, I mean UPLAND. For me, its hard to beat the 20 ga. in a light, agile gun.
The ammo's lighter than 12 or 16 ga. and the guns tend to be a little lighter, too.
My dad's 1100 lightweight is about perfect.
I also like my H&R single, although a little more barrel would be nice.
Both guns are 20 ga. and both chokes are modified.

Nosler 168gr ABLR out of my 7mm-08 has been my favorite round for elk/deer to date, but I've probably taken more animals with a 30-06 than anything else.

Favorite cartridges:
.30-06 - Winchester XP 150 gr - best grouping for my rifle (Deer, Cougar)
.223 - Cheapest cost round (Coyote)
12 ga - Rifled Slugs (Cougar, Bear)
12 ga - #6 Steel Shot (anything that flies)

Bunnies: .22LR
Lil' critters: .223 Rem or .220 Swift depending on range
Deer: .257 Roberts or .270 Win depending on range
Elk and bigger: .338 WM

Pretty classic list. I've got others I could use but in reality for the last decade and a half it's been a bow.

Always wanted one … especially during the .22LR famine of a few years ago. You could load one cheaper than buying rimfire, assuming you could even find rimfire rounds.

.30 Nosler Elk and up
.270WSM deer/ antelope
.243 Antelope and coyotes

.300WM is my backup

Soon to be .27 Nosler as soon as they release.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top