JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have already made the commit that a man's home is his castle and I still feel that way. My house my rules or you are not welcome.

Now a business is different in my opinion in the fact that you should not be able to discriminate. You opened your doors to the public and that means all the public even if it means doing something different than your beliefs. I do not like it but understand it.

But here is the question: How well do you know this person whose house you're going into.

The reason I say this is one or more persons in this home could be a felon and you now brought a gun into their home putting them and yourself into a legal situation. Sometimes folks do not want guns in their home for other reasons than they do not like guns it's for legal reasons. A restraining order on a family member staying at their home because of a divorce is easy to get and that means no guns depending on the state and it could be a felony charge if they are within so many feet of one.
In the open public is one thing but a gun in the home is a different story.

Just food for thought.

The reason I say this is one or more persons in this home could be a felon and you now brought a gun into their home putting them and yourself into a legal situation. Sometimes folks do not want guns in their home for other reasons than they do not like guns it's for legal reasons. A restraining order on a family member staying at their home because of a divorce is easy to get and that means no guns depending on the state and it could be a felony charge if they are within so many feet of one.

There is no legal situation for legally carrying anywhere even if you open carried around someone who is prohibited. I've never heard of a prohibited person being charged for just being around a gun, I thought it was only if they were caught in possession of one?

Last Edited:
I made the mistake of advising a friend of many years that I was armed in her house.

She reacted violently, as in, "In my house? In MY HOUSE???"
I was never invited back, and it did change the course of history, so to speak.

IMO, nobody needs to know you carry -until you save their lives with your weapon, Then you can say, "You're welcome. Now you understand."

There is no legal situation for legally carrying anywhere even if you open carried around someone who is prohibited. I've never heard of a prohibited person being charged for just being around a gun, I thought it was only if they were caught in possession of one?

In public there is no reason the fear from what I understand as you do not know the folks around you but in one's home you do not know the situation around the felony or the court reason or rules around the restraining order and they differ from case to case. I guess what it comes down to is situational awareness just be aware of who you are dealing because say something bad goes down and a firearm has to be used you do not know for a fact how the justice system will look at it or deal with it.

In public there is no reason the fear from what I understand as you do not know the folks around you but in one's home you do not know the situation around the felony or the court reason or rules around the restraining order and they differ from case to case. I guess what it comes down to is situational awareness just be aware of who you are dealing because say something bad goes down and a firearm has to be used you do not know for a fact how the justice system will look at it or deal with it.

Actually we do know how the justice system will look at it, if you end up needing your gun and survive your going to be judged by what a reasonable person would do with what you knew at that time. It would be impossible to know if there is a prohibited person in the room... and likewise it would be impossible for a prohibited person to know your carrying concealed. I don't know of any legal requirement for either persons to have to know about another persons record even if your in their home. I cant think of any situation that puts either yourself or the person with a felony in any kind of legal jeopardy if you had to use your gun in self defense. The prohibited person would have no legal requirement to do anything except maybe leave the scene, after the fact, he discovers a gun is around... is all I can think of.

I don't announce to anyone that I'm carrying, and have only been asked once. I just grinned and said "That's a mighty personal question. Are you wearing clean underwear?"

As others here have said, the gun is only a tool - like a pocket knife or a flashlight. It'll remain out of sight until it's needed.

In the open public is one thing but a gun in the home is a different story.

Just food for thought.
Some states have laws about storing or possessing firearms if you live with a prohibited person or something along those lines. I'm not aware of any state that prohibits you from carrying while visiting a prohibited person. I'm not aware of any court actions prohibiting all persons from possessing a firearm around a particular individual. I've heard of judges ordering individuals not to be around guns, but my understanding is that such orders are inherently difficult to enforce beyond preventing them from possessing one. So while I understand your concern (no telling what a judge will order or how they might rule), I don't think you have much to worry about (pretty tough to hold you accountable for a court order that you had no reason to know about). On the other hand, I am neither qualified nor inclined to offer legal advice. And the above is not legal advice.

I'm a married man.... I do what I WANT!

Yeah.... I know. :s0140:

Stomper,

Your comment made me think of this:

IMG_0046.jpg

I don't announce to anyone that I'm carrying, and have only been asked once. I just grinned and said "That's a mighty personal question. Are you wearing clean underwear?"

As others here have said, the gun is only a tool - like a pocket knife or a flashlight. It'll remain out of sight until it's needed.
LOL.
"OK, I do have a gun. Are you still wearing clean underwear?" :D

there are a few states that have a law that requires you to disclose to the home owner that you are carrying. Alaska is one of them, I dont know of any others. I know Oregon does not....

After taking a number of classes on concealed carry for the state of Idaho I have yet to have someone define to me what a reasonable person is because there is none as it changes with each jury selection and case. This was even stated by both instructors that were authorized by Idaho to teach Idaho black letter carry laws.

We as gun owners feel we have the right to carry and own guns and there are laws that say we can but many laws are left up to interpretation of the court and a jury of your peers that may be pro gun, somewhat anti gun or completely anti gun it is the pick of the draw between your attorney and theirs then it is combined with how well you can articulate the series of events that will determine if it is a justifiable event to a reasonable person. If there attorney can use the fact that you where in the home of a know felon or a person with a restraining order for violent acts with a gun do you think that might not sway the opinion of a slightly anti gun reasonable person.

Would you go into marijuana store with a firearm knowing full well that marijuana is against federal law and having a firearm in a known drug house (state run or not) can get you an extra 5 years. The current administration is not pushing it but will the next? Just because there are not any know cases does not make it wise.

If you're stopping by someone's house to buy a car or something listed in the paper I do not feel it would be an issue as you do not know this person one on one but to go in and stay all night or several days is a different story so all I am saying is be aware because what starts out harmless can go bad and is that not why we carry.

I carry all the time but I avoid a lot of places because of it and I know my friends before I go into their home for any amount of time because do you really know the people you hang out with.

Last Edited:
there are a few states that have a law that requires you to disclose to the home owner that you are carrying. Alaska is one of them, I dont know of any others. I know Oregon does not....

From what I've seen of the Alaska programs on TV, most who are carrying carry open because if they encounter a dangerous animal time is often a requirement that is in short supply!
Those who do not apparently don't ask don't tell.
Gabby

After taking a number of classes on concealed carry for the state of Idaho I have yet to have someone define to me what a reasonable person is because there is none as it changes with each jury selection and case. This was even stated by both instructors that were authorized by Idaho to teach Idaho black letter carry laws.

We as gun owners feel we have the right to carry and own guns and there are laws that say we can but many laws are left up to interpretation of the court and a jury of your peers that may be pro gun, somewhat anti gun or completely anti gun it is the pick of the draw between your attorney and theirs then it is combined with how well you can articulate the series of events that will determine if it is a justifiable event to a reasonable person. If there attorney can use the fact that you where in the home of a know felon or a person with a restraining order for violent acts with a gun do you think that might not sway the opinion of a slightly anti gun reasonable person.

Would you go into marijuana store with a firearm knowing full well that marijuana is against federal law and having a firearm in a known drug house (state run or not) can get you an extra 5 years. The current administration is not pushing it but will the next? Just because there are not any know cases does not make it wise.

If you're stopping by someone's house to buy a car or something listed in the paper I do not feel it would be an issue as you do not know this person one on one but to go in and stay all night or several days is a different story so all I am saying is be aware because what starts out harmless can go bad and is that not why we carry.

I carry all the time but I avoid a lot of places because of it and I know my friends before I go into their home for any amount of time because do you really know the people you hang out with.
I think a lot of that is covered by the Three Stupids Rule: "Don't go to stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things." ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top