JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will take a stab at this.
1st do they know that you carry?
If not no big deal, go ahead.

2nd ..if so LIE if asked if you are carrying.
LOL

I suppose it depends on the nature of your visit.
If I were going for a quick visit , say dropping off the babysitter or returning a borrowed item etc ... then no. I would not mention it.

If I were visiting a fellow gun collector , I may or may not depending on :
Is it my first time meeting him.
Just what are we going to be doing.
How does his wife or family feel about guns or the carrying of them.

Use some common sense.
How would you feel if the situation was reversed?
How well do you know the person you are visiting?
Would he care or even notice if you are carrying?

If it was to be an extended stay , like for a holiday visit then yes. I would ask beforehand.

My house and my rules. I expect my visitors to respect that , so I should give them the same courtesy when visiting their house.
Andy
Edit for spelling

Last Edited:
Depends. If they are truly my friends and knew they would be against it, I wouldn't do it. My wife wasn't anti gun but due to some family issues on her side, didn't like being around them. I didn't get guns for years. If someone else brought some here and start flashing them around I'd probably be a bad host pretty quick.

I would not say anything, no matter what their stance on guns is.
Concealed is concealed, and no one else's business but my own.
Andy also had some very good points to consider, though.
For me it "all depends". :D If I make the decision to carry into someone's home, I wouldn't tell them, with one type of exception. We used to hunt elk on private property. The landowner's close friends (husband and wife) are sheriff deputies and carry. When we enter the home, everyone unholsters and sets the guns on the bookshelf. Often times just that act turns the conversation to guns and shooting, at least for a while.

There was a thread on this subject probably 4 or 5 years ago that I tried to dig up and add here, but I couldn't find it. Would have been interesting to see what the general consensus would have been.

I would not go into someones home unless they were a friend. If they are a friend they will have an enlightened view of the 2nd amendment and will either expect me to be carrying and/or carrying themselves. It will go without saying.

The only time I would enter the home of a non enlightened person is to liberate them of their goods after an apocalyptic event.

Well I don't go to other people's houses that I don't know well. And the ones I do know I carry or wouldn't be offended if I did.
If I'm going to someone else's house that wouldn't know as well, then heck I don't know if they won't hurt me so I better carry!

If someone is offended I will respectfully leave and let them know if they are open to conversation about it I would love to talk to them about, why, etc.

But if they are just miffed and be jerks. Then it's not somewhere I want to be anyway.

I will never let someone else dictate my right to safety.

This is a good question, had a family come over for dinner recently. I had not met the husband but we got along great. Talked about guns much of the evening and the conversation led to holsters, at which point in time he lifted his shirt and showed my how he carried his Glock. Didn't think twice about it and appreciated his input on holsters. Didn't bother me at all.

Very few people I know know that I carry, and I prefer to keep it that way. As I've stated here before, I carry everywhere it's not expressly forbidden by law. I have family that aren't keen on the idea of guns or carrying, but I don't see the need to give up my right to self defense because I'm in their, or anyone else's home. Fact remains that you NEVER know when or where you may need your gun for self defense, so until someone can warn me ahead of time, it is just a simply fact of life that I carry, everywhere, every time (again, unless specifically forbidden by law).

Some might consider that disrespectful, but I find those that would choose to disarm me equally disrespectful. I do respect private property rights, and do expect my rules to be followed in my home. I don't think I have to tell people, for example, not to take illegal drugs in my home, and so far, no one has. I figure so long as my gun doesn't come out for defensive use, they'll never know - and since I'm no threat to them just carrying concealed, I don't see it as a problem. That said, if someone stood at their door and expressly forbid me from coming in while carrying (not sure how they'd know), then I'd turn around and leave. The people's homes I go to are people that should already know and trust me, so they should have no reason to fear me or my gun.

I'm sure lots of people have lots of things, issues, habits, diseases, indiscretions that are not announced at the door. Unless there is a no gun sign you are willing to respect or you intend to remove your coat and open carry, you should keep private things private. What if you were at a party and things went horribly south. The A hole now knows you are wired.
When is the last time you heard one of your guest say, excuse me, I just thought you should know I have herpes.
One shouldn't have to feel put upon, guilty, or embarrassed living a law abiding constitutional life. Otherwise, what's the point of freedom?

I'm sure lots of people have lots of things, issues, habits, diseases, indiscretions that are not announced at the door. Unless there is a no gun sign you are willing to respect or you intend to remove your coat and open carry, you should keep private things private. What if you were at a party and things went horribly south. The A hole now knows you are wired.
When is the last time you heard one of your guest say, excuse me, I just thought you should know I have herpes.
One shouldn't have to feel put upon, guilty, or embarrassed living a law abiding constitutional life. Otherwise, what's the point of freedom?

It's a fine line between respecting someone else's property/home and doing something on their property that could potentially be harmful. If I know I'm sick, for example, I don't go into other people's homes, because I don't want to get them sick too. I consider that respectful. I also wouldn't go into someone's home and start going through their things, get drunk and wild or go swearing in front of their kids. There are lots of ways to respect someone's home without necessarily sacrificing your right/ability to protect yourself, should it become necessary.

i stay strapped everywhere i go.

lol just wanted to say it.

nah for reals it depends on the situatuin i guess. i choose to surround myself with people of similar views as mine. all of my friends know i carry. they do too. i dont let anyone in my house i dont know/trust and i typically dont go to unknown peoples houses.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top