JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hell, you could carry around half the residents of North Portland in the trunk of an LTD!
...And not even have to chop them all up to make them fit!

:rolleyes: Reminds me... People often forget to carry empty bags in their vehicles. :confused:

Edit to Add: It was a 429, think it had a big 2-bbl carb, dual exhaust, 115mph for days...as long as there were no corners.

Just standard EDC 360+/- days of the year. The "tactical" long gun comes along when tensions are very high, such as when looting was a nightly thing a few months back. The IFAK is ok my person during hunting season. That's about as wild as it gets. No plate carrier because that'd only apply if I truly expected big trouble and I'm pretty good at avoiding expected big trouble. Never lost any sleep

Yep, that's it, same green too.
I remember asking him once, "what was your favorite car you've owned?" and of course he said the LTD. He had it til his eyes gave out. When they came out to the farm we kids would marvel at all the stuff in dat fat as trunk.
After my Dad was dead and gone I was talking to an older cousin. He said my dad would show up at the house in his LTD and open the trunk and had a full martini bar back there. Never had a clue about his wilder days. :s0005:

I won't begrudge anyone for doing what makes them feel better and this thread isn't meant to do that. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

For me, I think I've found a point where the burden of a load-out, both physically and mentally, becomes a hindrance on my quality of life.

I see the EDC, go-bag, and preparedness threads and it makes me wonder if the burden and considerations that come with carrying that much stuff results in feeling more or less free to enjoy the day, events, friends, and your family? Does this result in a lower quality of life? Is the juice worth the squeeze, based on the odds?

Like many have said, I think it all depends on what you are carrying, how you carry it, and the specific environment in which you are planning to go.

I myself used to experience the same feeling of anxiety/burden (typically resulting in my carrying too much), so I just decided to make one universal setup that goes with me in whatever vehicle I take. The setup consists of a dedicated backpack with some MREs, water purification kit, fire starting materials, a cheap survival knife, and a compact firearm with spare ammunition.

In one single package I have food, water, and protection, which in the scenarios I would envision myself needing any of those things, is beyond sufficient (based off of my "Everyday" environment). So far I have never needed to use the contents other than for testing purposes, and there is no sense of dread knowing I have it; on the contrary it is a great peace of mind!

I won't begrudge anyone for doing what makes them feel better and this thread isn't meant to do that. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

For me, I think I've found a point where the burden of a load-out, both physically and mentally, becomes a hindrance on my quality of life.

I see the EDC, go-bag, and preparedness threads and it makes me wonder if the burden and considerations that come with carrying that much stuff results in feeling more or less free to enjoy the day, events, friends, and your family? Does this result in a lower quality of life? Is the juice worth the squeeze, based on the odds?

I don't see the point, if the worlds already that bad off what's worth saving?

Not to mention what's the occurrence rate needing all your kit and BO bag ready to roll plus edc and stash in one trip that you'll likely not be able to get all of together at one time since i've learned nothing ever goes to plan when bad thing hits.

Great to be prepared but honestly you cannot prepare for everything or nothing that ever doesn't happen. The only people i'd take a legit argument from are folks who were in any of the riots this last year/LA riots back in the 90's or the folks who had literally minutes to grab what they could an evac from the fires we had recently.
Bonus points if you've actually escaped from a 3rd world incident or lived thru the bosnia war. Did anyone expect or forsee the CV19 incident as it pertains to same mindset, not so much the virus but the restrictions that have come with it.

Also before anyone replies, no do not misconstrue this for simply defeatist attitude either this is simply my take from my encounters both foreign and domestic coupled with actually having to go to work every day.

Last Edited:
My mom's dad always had a LTD for his car up until he was retired. Not sure what he drove when I was a toddler. Huge trunk and oh so spacious interior.

I guess I'm the odd man out here but I carry heavy 24/7.

My daily bag has

Ar pistol (folded and fits in regular backpack)
Hailey strategic dcrm with 3 30rnd mags, IFAK dangler, 2 pistol mags, and some administrator stuff in the pouch(flashlight/multitool/matches)
Good binoculars
Powerbars and a full hydration bladder.
Compass
Knife x 2
Paracord/survival kit with emergency blanket

Whole thing weighs just under 25lbs but when deployed it's spread out nice and I can move fast. I took the backseat out of my truck and built a locking platform that holds this gear on one side and more tools(construction) on the other. It would take some serious work to get in without the key.......

Working on a keyless entry remote for the box currently......also my dogs love the platform. I covered it in outdoor carpet and they are way more comfortable that the seat was

That's stuff people would have a high likelihood of using. I'm talking stuff like rifles, plate carriers, multiple magazines, sexual altoid boxes, etc.

What is a sexual altoid box?

I thought that Altoids were mints.

My late husband liked those mints and saved Kennedy half dollars in them. He kept them in the den.

When I think of a plate carrier - I think of a dinner tray not a bullet proof vest.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
What is a sexual altoid box?

I thought that Altoid were mints.

My late husband liked those mints and saved Kennedy half dollars in them. He kept them in the den.

When I think of a plate carrier - I think of a dinner tray not a bullet proof vest.

Old Lady Cate

A semi legendary thread was made in which a forum member stated that he carried very personal PPE for some romantic social encounters , that take place , at less than social distance recommendations.
He carried said items in a Altoid tin.....:D
Andy

Since you asked....

I asked my MT husband what you guys were talking about with the mint boxes and he had no clue until you EXPLAINED it. Thank you.

So ignore my question on the bottom of this thread.

He is sitting next to me and he said that he never heard of that before and he is OLD too. LOL

Old Lady Cate

I don't see the point, if the worlds already that bad off what's worth saving?

Not to mention what's the occurrence rate needing all your kit and BO bag ready to roll plus edc and stash in one trip that you'll likely not be able to get all of together at one time since i've learned nothing ever goes to plan when bad thing hits.

Great to be prepared but honestly you cannot prepare for everything or nothing that ever doesn't happen. The only people i'd take a legit argument from are folks who were in any of the riots this last year/LA riots back in the 90's or the folks who had literally minutes to grab what they could an evac from the fires we had recently.
Bonus points if you've actually escaped from a 3rd world incident or lived thru the bosnia war. Did anyone expect or forsee the CV19 incident as it pertains to same mindset, not so much the virus but the restrictions that have come with it.

Also before anyone replies, no do not misconstrue this for simply defeatist attitude either this is simply my take from my encounters both foreign and domestic coupled with actually having to go to work every day.

Well, first off I'm kinda partial to me so I'm saving me first and the rest of you second. Sorry, that's how it's gotta be.

Bug out bag requires you to get to it. I prefer to have enough wig me to get me home or get me someplace safe even if I cannot make it to my preferred location.

Yes, I saw the writing on the wall with the PLANdemic. Once the media and politics got ahold of SARS-COV2 it was all over. I knew there would be "restrictions" and blame games and violence. Just got to look at history to get an idea of what will happen in the future.

Thankfully I've never been to Bosnia or LA but I have spent some time in Oakland and saw my fair share of bodies dumped in the streets before I was 10 years old. BTW, there was a really good BBQ restaurant basically across the road from the prison. The yard my dad worked at was set up like a prison down to the razor wire to keep people out and discourage the outsiders from violence in the yard and discourage theft.

Like you I actually have to go to work every day. I drive from out of town, past the crack heads, through town and back out the other side and down the highway a bit to work. I have not missed a day of work or school due to illness or unapproved time off since I moved to Oregon. I was 2 minutes late to work once due to waking up an hour after my alarm and after I generally leave for work.

As far as EDC, I've gone a little heavier lately. I have partitioned my EDC to be suitable for where I am most likely to need it and what will most likely be the items required. In my house I have "soft" items in a "bugout bag". The comfortable stuff. Blankets, food, hand warmers, little stove, shampoo and a basic first aid kit. Stuff like that. I also have loaded mags around for the most likely firearms I will grab along with organizing the safe so the best choice to grab is on the top.

I always have a flashlight, knife and a few bandages on me. I'm prone to injuring myself so I need a way to stop a leak. my EDC light works great to remove ice buildup off the wheels of my car in the winter too. Crazy how fast a little ice will throw everything out of balance.

Outside places that restrict firearms I always have a carry pistol, 2 spare mags, ear protection and another flashlight.

In the vehicle with me I carry a full-size AK that is sighted in and regularly shot out to 300 yards, couple mags with different ammo for different purposes, another flashlight, spare batteries for all my lights, food, TP (gotta poop in comfort), more basic first aid plus chest compresses and turniqutes and a small "survival" kit with stuff like fire starters, plastic bags to keep my feet dry, and paracord and a compass.

Each vehicle also has a basic first aid kit for things like scrapes and bumps or a car crash with lacerations. I'm pretty likely to cause a a leak. I keep super glue on my desk at work to repair leaks. Its used almost daily.

Everyone's EDC will be different. I prefer it in layer like clothing. Not everything requires all of my "bugout" gear.
I'm more likely to break down a ways out of town and have to survive or shoot something for food than fight off a mob. In the light of antifa scum I swapped out the AR pistol for an AK that should hit a little harder at close range and is my preferred platform. Should work well on deer or anything else tasty too.

Last Edited:
A semi legendary thread was made in which a forum member stated that he carried very personal PPE for some romantic social encounters , that take place , at less than social distance recommendations.
He carried said items in a Altoid tin.....:D
Andy

Thanks and I was slow reading this thread. LOL

My husband BAKED old fashioned cornbread for me and it is good with my morning coffee!

Cate

Well, first off I'm kinda partial to me so I'm saving me first and the rest of you second. Sorry, that's how it's gotta be.

Bug out bag requires you to get to it. I prefer to have enough wig me to get me home or get me someplace safe even if I cannot make it to my preferred location.

Yes, I saw the writing on the wall with the PLANdemic. Once the media and politics got ahold of SARS-COV2 it was all over. I knew there would be "restrictions" and blame games and violence. Just got to look at history to get an idea of what will happen in the future.

Thankfully I've never been to Bosnia or LA but I have spent some time in Oakland and saw my fair share of bodies dumped in the streets before I was 10 years old. BTW, there was a really good BBQ restaurant basically across the road from the prison. The yard my dad worked at was set up like a prison down to the razor wire to keep people out and discourage the outsiders from violence in the yard and discourage theft.

Like you I actually have to go to work every day. I drive from out of town, past the crack heads, through town and back out the other side and down the highway a bit to work. I have not missed a day of work or school due to illness or unapproved time off since I moved to Oregon. I was 2 minutes late to work once due to waking up an hour after my alarm and after I generally leave for work.

As far as EDC, I've gone a little heavier lately. I have partitioned my EDC to be suitable for where I am most likely to need it and what will most likely be the items required. In my house I have "soft" items in a "bugout bag". The comfortable stuff. Blankets, food, hand warmers, little stove, shampoo and a basic first aid kit. Stuff like that. I also have loaded mags around for the most likely firearms I will grab along with organizing the safe so the best choice to grab is on the top.

I always have a flashlight, knife and a few bandages on me. I'm prone to injuring myself so I need a way to stop a leak. my EDC light works great to remove ice buildup off the wheels of my car in the winter too. Crazy how fast a little ice will throw everything out of balance.

Outside places that restrict firearms I always have a carry pistol, 2 spare mags, ear protection and another flashlight.

In the vehicle with me I carry a full-size AK that is sighted in and regularly shot out to 300 yards, couple mags with different ammo for different purposes, another flashlight, spare batteries for all my lights, food, TP (gotta poop in comfort), more basic first aid plus chest compresses and turniqutes and a small "survival" kit with stuff like fire starters, plastic bags to keep my feet dry, and paracord and a compass.

Each vehicle also has a basic first aid kit for things like scrapes and bumps or a car crash with lacerations. I'm pretty likely to cause a a leak. I keep super glue on my desk at work to repair leaks. Its used almost daily.

Everyone's EDC will be different. I prefer it in layer like clothing. Not everything requires all of my "bugout" gear.
I'm more likely to break down a ways out of town and have to survive or shoot something for food than fight off a mob. In the light of antifa scum I swapped out the AR pistol for an AK that should hit a little harder at close range and is my preferred platform. Should work well on deer or anything else tasty too.
I've toyed with the idea of a .300 bo build just for this reason....the close range knockdown of a 5.56 just isn't spectacular.......also considering .458 just because it could be a very good vehicle stopper along with being able to drop a grizzly

I've toyed with the idea of a .300 bo build just for this reason....the close range knockdown of a 5.56 just isn't spectacular.......also considering .458 just because it could be a very good vehicle stopper along with being able to drop a grizzly
I'd say go for it! Nice thing with 300blk is you can also roll effective subs. I've been considering 9x39 for heavy subs for a trunk gun but bullet variety isn't there. Still want one for suppressed giggles.

I'd take a good 12 gauge with slugs over some boutique rig any day.

My late husband and I used to carry emergency bags in our trucks, cars, one van and in one suv. We only owned one suv and one van. We lived VERY RURAL and had long drives to our jobs. My job was closer when I became self employed. I used to TRAVEL a lot alone or with my German Shepherd female dog/dogs too. This was from the Great Lakes region, very rural, to the East Coast. Up and down the coast. Later on in life, I flew more often. I quit flying many years ago too.

I do KNOW what it is like to be stranded on rural blizzard aka DRIFTS - icy roads - blinding snow storms for hours on end and even in one place for 5 to 7 days due to a famous blizzard - ice storm that SHUT DOWN parts of the Great Lakes region and made national history. I dropped off a friend after working late and my late husband called them long distance and told her husband to KEEP ME there since they were shutting down the expressways and rural roads in our county and township. So I could not leave HER HOUSE and was STUCK THERE in another rural home in another township, etc. I WOKE UP AFTER A FEW HOURS WITH NO POWER at her house. My former big brick house had NO power for days on end and NO telephone service long after my friend's house had power which was 5 or 6 days for sure.

Anyway... I no longer drive but my husband keeps an emergency bag in his pick up truck and we move one to the car too.

When I first moved out west, I always kept an emergency bag in my former vehicle too. I lived super remote off of a winding mountain road with a creek on one side butt up to wilderness. And I mean wilderness! Private ranch - I camped on the creek side and stayed in a tiny log cabin on the other side of the mountain road. I rented my camp site and the cabin. The tiny log cabin had a tiny kitchen and a TINY bathroom with a shower. Indoor heating. When I camped before I moved to the cabin - I could use a shower house/bathroom since I did not have a shower in my former Coleman pop up camper. They had a couple of washing machines there too. I did have running water and a septic tank on my camp site so it was NOT like my usual OFF THE BEATEN PATH CAMP SITES. And when it snowed - they stopped PLOWING a few miles from my 'home' close to Grizzly Creek. I was there for one year. I wish that I could have afforded to buy property up there but it was BEYOND my budget.

We do not own bullet proof vests. I an not knocking people who do own them.

We do not pack our vehicles for WW3 and never did. I never planned on bugging out even back east since I already lived VERY RURAL! I never planned on bugging out here in MT in or out of this college town either. The ONLY way that I would LEAVE MY HOME would be due to a fire, flood or an earthquake but I would come BACK to my land once I was able to even if I had to camp out.

Montana: I did carry a handgun on me when I owned and shot handguns. Open and/or conceal carry depending on WHERE I was and the law.

Conceal Carry was NOT legal in my former conservative state. That state in SPECIFIC AREAS and IN my county/township were and still are actually FAR MORE conservative than MT - even now. Uh huh. NO CCW but open carry was allowed there. That state changed it's CCW laws several years after I moved out west.

I did NOT move and retire to this state after my late husband died for the GUN LAWS. It was going to be Maine or Montana - those were our plans which never happened for us as a couple. I would NOT move to a state just for the gun laws.

And if a state kept on getting MORE commie oriented with crazy leaders - I would MOVE because you can only fight so much for so long and get taxed to death while you feed the bottom feeders and leeches in SOCIETY.

My MT husband carries a handgun on him where it is legal since the LAWS were passed for this. Twenty PLUS years now? City and rural and other SPECIFIC places for open and/or conceal carry differ compared to my former state which has CHANGED it's gun laws and compared to other states across this nation.

When I used to camp a lot with him using a former van or two of them out here... my MT husband and I ALWAYS CARRIED a few rifles. BEAR protection. We slept in the GMC new work van that we bought specifically for traveling and camping in VERY REMOTE AREAS. We are INTO off the beaten path places. NO camper and NO tent in grizzly country. We carried a couple of handguns too. We were CLOSE to the van or IN the van so the rifles were NOT left without being in our sight. I had a full size mattress in the back/floor of the van and we had 2 small rifles (Savage Rascals.) by the head - pillows sometimes. Those were donated to our range for shooting/training gun safety education. We had a 30-30, a 45-70 and/or another 30-30 or a pistol caliber CF rifle or a 22 RF of some type. So one CF rifle for each of us and sometimes a third rifle. TWO RIFLES (His and hers.) AND 2 HANDGUNS (His and hers.). Sometimes he had a back up handgun or a back up rifle. Same for me too. NOT always though.

The first time that I went hunting with him close to THE BOB (Bob Marshall Wilderness.) - I was PACKED TO THE GILLS on my BODY. LOL IT was a HIKE and NOT a camping trip. He parked his old pick up truck and we hiked in. I had my Uncle Mike's shoulder holster holding my Model 29 (Gift to me.) OR my Model 686 - CRS now - AND a fanny pack holding my KNIFE and my Model 60. Plus I had a back pack on me but I did not pack that heavy but I did have WATER in it. On other trips - hikes - I went to my Triple K set up (RUGER BLACKHAWK in 45Long Colt or a 357Magnum and/or a 22lr/22wmr.) but I still had my water, knife and fanny pack on me sometimes.

After a time frame, I dropped the back pack. Later on, when I got my FIRST CF RIFLE out here in MT - it was a rifle and a handgun on some hikes in the back country. I think that I shrunk from 5' 3" tall carrying that on my body even though my legs have always been strong due to swimming on a daily basis and dancing. OMG! Talk about prepared and my MT husband kind of laughed at me in his own way. But he was prepared in his own way too.

I ALWAYS had a gun on me in the woods/wilderness especially when I was ALL ALONE and hiking/traveling. Knife or 2 knives too. Emergency pack/bag. Axe or 'hawk or both.

PAST TENSE: I ALWAYS had a one gun on me even when I was with my 6' 1" tall MT husband.

Traveling, camping or going back and forth around town. I have seen more TRANSIENTS, so called homeless, crazy acting, nasty pan handlers, doped up and drunk people out here in MT compared to where I used to live and that goes for my former very RURAL living and for MY travels to the city and suburbs in my former state and even to the East Coast. They LET people BEG and transient BUMS be pushy, nasty and harass private citizens AND business owners in MT where it was NOT legal for them to do this SALAMI back east. NO kidding. Like I said before, the BUMS, dope fiends and drunks have more RIGHTS and get catered to than TAXPAYING retired and working people. And it is in RURAL AREAS and in small towns too. NOT only in the cities or college towns. Uh huh. BUT most people don't pay attention to the real news or follow what the FAR LEFT lets go on. The far left and stupid conservatives THINK that they are helping some people and they refuse to accept some issues. So when the CRIME GOES UP all around this state and in other states... they think that if they THROW MORE MONEY into MORE salami programs and don't make some people accountable for their actions and criminal or stupid behavior - the rocket scientists think that BANNING GUNS/KNIVES will solve these issues caused by a VERY specific group of people on TRAILS, IN and OUT of small towns and larger cities, in remote areas-forests, on public and private land and sidewalks.

I do not own, shoot or carry a handgun any longer due to my hand issues. I DO carry a knife on my body, in a pocket, in a fanny pack - easy to get to and KEPT APART and/or another one in my purse. I am GOOD with a knife even though people SCOFF at knives and even with my hand issues I can HANDLE a fixed blade knife VERY WELL. That goes for an axe in a couple of sizes and a 'hawk too.

We don't carry TONS of stuff on us for trips around town or to our range which is less than 10 miles away in the mountains. Eight miles - I think? Canyon area. We do carry extra gear meaning emergency gear for TRIPS up north right below BC, Canada - hours away and due to EXTREME WEATHER CONDITIONS due to our climate.

My former state had far WORSE and extreme weather conditions YEAR round but OUT here - you have FIRE DANGER which I did not have to deal with as I do out here. BUT back there - they managed PRIVATE and some state/county land in a more SENSIBLE manner than they do out west. NO offense but it is true and that goes for large forests too. OUT here you have huge amounts of FEDERAL LAND which is an entirely different situation to deal with when it comes to FIRES caused by natural or manmade issues or deliberately SET fires by arsonists which even happened in rural areas and in small towns in the NW MT region and in other parts of MT this past year (2020) and in other years.

So IF you have fires on TOP of all other emergencies and not just the whack-a-doodle criminals and gangs which have been allowed to do their criminal deeds for so long in the PNW - you should be prepared close to home but if you are more miles AWAY from home - you don't need your kitchen sink with you but you should have a small emergency bag and EXTRA WATER or a knife or gun on your body.

I would NOT LEAVE a rifle left alone in a truck or car unless my EYES AND BODY WERE ON or IN THE VEHICLE and the DOORS WERE LOCKED.

There are some mighty dumb bunnies out there who still do NOT lock their vehicle doors when they get INSIDE of their vehicle. They are usually WOMEN - no offense but there are many females who are very careless! Men too! They do not PRACTICE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS close to their homes, business, shopping areas and even when they TRAVEL OR GET FUEL!

They were dense before but NOW they are even dumber since they are GLUED to their cellular telephones. Yet they do NOT carry a KNIFE (Folding or fixed blade.) or a tool set to CUT through or away a seat belt if they get TRAPPED in their vehicle or a flashlight or water with them but they have their TELLIE and/or MAKEUP CRAPOLA jammed into their pants and big old handbags. How dumb is that?!

We do NOT own cellular telephones and only use a landline home telephone. So I guess that MANY people think that WE are DUMB for not owning or carrying them.
If we traveled more again, we have considered a pay as you go cellular telephone BUT the problem is that where WE CHOOSE TO GO most of the time - we would NOT have reception anyway! LOL

ADDED more above. Disclaimer: I do not hunt but I have gone on many hunts with him - mainly for grouse but for elk and deer too. MOST OF THE TIME for grouse. I like to fish and I used to fish a LOT back east.

I will ALWAYS have a fixed blade knife on me unless it is not legal. I watch the blade length for conceal and open carry. MT knife laws are different too.

My late husband gave me a small pocket knife when I became his bride - Nam era. HE INSISTED that I have it on me or in my purse.

My late Dad gave me a kitchen knife to carry with me when I traveled once I got my license as a young bride - USN - Nam and around the world time for my late husband. He sharpened it and I kept a spoon and a fork and a MUG with that knife since I was on the road. So I would not get into trouble carrying a KNIFE in my 1970 Karmann Ghia convertible or in a late 60's Malibu Super Sport of my late husband's. BOTH vehicles got some attention. They were BEAUTIFUL. I put the kitchen stuff and knife by the stick shift - on the FLOOR between the bucket seats. I could REACH THEM ALONG WITH MY BLACK COFFEE THERMOS and water. Plus if my GS dog went with me... she sat in one bucket seat more than in the back seat. NO one messed with me or the cars or trucks when I had my GS dogs with me.

I used to carry a MUCH bigger kitchen knife that my late Dad gave me and put it UNDER one bucket seat but my deputy friends and one right below the sheriff - CHIEF DEPUTY - super close friend (Former state.) said that IF I did that - it could be considered CONCEALED which was not legal so I STOPPED doing it that way so I would not get into trouble while traveling.

I had to KEEP my handguns and 3 RF rifles UNLOADED and the ammo apart and in another AREA when I bought my own guns too. Late 90's and on. NOT legal at all in my former state and in some places where I traveled too.

ADDED more here too.

Cate

Last Edited:
How have we gotten this far along without anybody voicing praise (nor condemnation) of the benefits of a tactical wheelbarrow?

Bonus points if you maintain a vicious attack chihuahua as your pointman.

:s0019::s0020::s0038:

Oh my goodness!

What was that goofy man's name from some old forums?!

Geeze Louise - that makes me laugh now. I read his stuff on many forums that I did not join too.

Kid something?

CRS now. LOL

Cate

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads