JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I won't begrudge anyone for doing what makes them feel better and this thread isn't meant to do that. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

For me, I think I've found a point where the burden of a load-out, both physically and mentally, becomes a hindrance on my quality of life.

I see the EDC, go-bag, and preparedness threads and it makes me wonder if the burden and considerations that come with carrying that much stuff results in feeling more or less free to enjoy the day, events, friends, and your family? Does this result in a lower quality of life? Is the juice worth the squeeze, based on the odds?

I am completely comfortable taking a weekend trip with just my EDC and no other "gear". I don't see the reason to pack a rifle, body armor, BUG and other prepper items. I can function perfectly in this world without traveling everywhere with EOD type gear.

I've toned it down recently. Still have all the stuff.
Didn't cut it down because it was burdensome, however. Did it more because carrying a bag with 5 extra mags, IFAK, 36 hours worth of food and a trauma kit does no favors to a fella trying to stay nondescript. Now it's just whichever pistol I decide, a few mags or speedstrip in my pockets, knife and a very basic first aid kit in my laptop bag. Maybe some snacks.

Last Edited:
I tried to chill out on my last couple trips.

Went on a cruise to Alaska, packed a couple flashlights and a knife or 2 (okay more like 4).

Flew to Maui and took more or less the same in checked bags. Spent most of the trip in trunks and flip flops so I carried folder in waistband.

Oh , and a monkey fist -both trips.

I'm retired and rarely travel more than a few miles from home anyway. The wife's van has the usual road stuff [flares, jumpers, tire sealer, garbage bags, basic med kit, blankets, etc.] and water bottles in the doors. My truck also has shackles, tow straps, chain, jumpers, charger, multiple cans of tire inflator/sealer, etc. and water in the doors. If going further then the tools, food and clothes are predicated by the destination. On body EDC doesn't change.

I am completely comfortable taking a weekend trip with just my EDC........ I can function perfectly in this world without traveling everywhere with EOD type gear.

Pfffft... Lucky I had mine when I pulled off I-5 in North Portland.;)

file007047.jpg
file007573.jpg

For me, the mindset begins to change when more than basic edc comes into play. Even at work, long guns come out only when the threat warrants it. So, maybe that subconsciously puts me in a different spot when I think about taking one along on a fairly mundane trip. I also have a hard time leaving one in the vehicle when the chances of getting car prowled are a lot higher than the chance I'd need a rifle and would have the time to get to it.

There is a small but good quality backpack in each our vehicles. It probably wouldn't count even as a go bag. However, I can carry it, as can my wife and my adult children all have them too. we gave them as Christmas presents about five years ago and since then a number of us have had an occasion to use them and we are all fans. Even my very urban Seattle daughter and her husband who were able to "break in" to a cabin they rented and otherwise would have stuck outside in weather. My daughter in law was grateful for the toiletries and change of underwear when she got stuck across the river and had to stay in a hotel during a snowstorm. Everyone's used the first aid at one time or another.

So here's what we "carry." A light waterproof rain jacket. First aid kit, small but capable multI-tool, small but strong flashlight, folding knife, fresh socks, underwear, knitted beanie, leather gloves, light thermo blanket, mylar blanket, matches, energy bars, chap stick, toothbrush and toothpaste, alcohol wipes, extra batteries, iPhone charger, $20, and a pair of running shoes (not waterproof though). Each person usually adds something of their own and things get rotated when we remember to. I also carry a full IFak kit, and some of us carry and some don't. Packs are typically 15 lbs, or a little less or more depending, but are easy to carry. Pretty minor prep but if you pm me I can give you five or six times they came in handy.

There is a small but good quality backpack in each our vehicles. It probably wouldn't count even as a go bag. However, I can carry it, as can my wife and my adult children all have them too. we gave them as Christmas presents about five years ago and since then a number of us have had an occasion to use them and we are all fans. Even my very urban Seattle daughter and her husband who were able to "break in" to a cabin they rented and otherwise would have stuck outside in weather. My daughter in law was grateful for the toiletries and change of underwear when she got stuck across the river and had to stay in a hotel during a snowstorm. Everyone's used the first aid at one time or another.

So here's what we "carry." A light waterproof rain jacket. First aid kit, small but capable multI-tool, small but strong flashlight, folding knife, fresh socks, underwear, knitted beanie, leather gloves, light thermo blanket, mylar blanket, matches, energy bars, chap stick, toothbrush and toothpaste, alcohol wipes, extra batteries, iPhone charger, $20, and a pair of running shoes (not waterproof though). Each person usually adds something of their own and things get rotated when we remember to. I also carry a full IFak kit, and some of us carry and some don't. Packs are typically 15 lbs, or a little less or more depending, but are easy to carry. Pretty minor prep but if you pm me I can give you five or six times they came in handy.

That's stuff people would have a high likelihood of using. I'm talking stuff like rifles, plate carriers, multiple magazines, sexual altoid boxes, etc.

I see the EDC, go-bag, and preparedness threads and it makes me wonder if the burden and considerations that come with carrying that much stuff results in feeling more or less free to enjoy the day, events, friends, and your family? Does this result in a lower quality of life? Is the juice worth the squeeze, based on the odds?
less free, none of this lowers the quality of life I support what others want to do or prepare for, but to me... its not worth the squeeze based on the odds. When I carry all I need is a super compact 9mm.

No IFAK, no AR Pistol to get stolen or leave behind, no flotation devices to get across a river no get home bag when milling about town. etc.

Just my Glock 43x, maybe a couple extra mags in the truck, lighter, tourniquet. Flashlight and ifak in the vehicle. Not high speed but I am comfortable with it. Simple, light and comfortable. Your brain and sense of awareness is your biggest asset. But a lot of people here on this forum think they are ready/want to get in an altercation. I would rather avoid it completely.

Just my Glock 43x, maybe a couple extra mags in the truck, lighter, tourniquet. Flashlight and ifak in the vehicle. Not high speed but I am comfortable with it. Simple, light and comfortable. Your brain and sense of awareness is your biggest asset. But a lot of people here on this forum think they are ready/want to get in an altercation. I would rather avoid it completely.

Totally agree.

100% THIS.

I won't begrudge anyone for doing what makes them feel better and this thread isn't meant to do that. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

For me, I think I've found a point where the burden of a load-out, both physically and mentally, becomes a hindrance on my quality of life.

I am completely comfortable taking a weekend trip with just my EDC and no other "gear". I don't see the reason to pack a rifle, body armor, BUG and other prepper items. I can function perfectly in this world without traveling everywhere with EOD type gear.

Although I have all that "EOD" stuff, I've gone minimalist in my EDC. It'll get the job done without the need for a wheelbarrow to carry it around in.

Knife, phone, pen, wallet, watch, a few bottles of water in the trunk, pistol, spare mag (maybe two). It's enough to help get me out of a hostile area, not retake Nakatomi Tower from Hans Grüber and crew on X-mas eve.... :rolleyes:

I usually only have phone, money, key and ID. Most of the places, that I have business with, don't allow firearms or blades. The Rona sanctions and Aunty-Tifas removed any enjoyment of dining out in the city...so there is no need for me to be out in the evening.

I don't like to have anything in the vehicle that isn't stowed or strapped down. All that stuff turns into projectiles in an accident. Also the smash and grabs have become well coordinated. I watched an SUV, with out-of-state plates, get cleaned out a couple minutes after the driver and passenger entered a restaurant.

People rarely mess with me, and when they do they quickly become bored and wander off.

I am not trying to imply that I feel safe, or that others should "do as I do." I am just weighing the possibilities against the probabilities for my situation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top