JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Smells like pine needles, fresh rain and mountain air. Ahhhhhhh...

The western deer rifle season opener is in just 2 months and the recurring dream of tagging a monster blacktail is driving me up the wall. I cannot wait to be running around in the woods again. I do pretty well at supressing the buck fever the rest of the year, but a couple months before it starts I get this urge to clean the rifles and start to organize and collect my gear.

Anyone pumped up?

I am looking forward to finding a nice tree on a slightly slanted hill on a nice sunny afternoon - leaning back against it and taking a nice autumn snooze. To me this is relaxation.

James Ruby

I am looking forward to finding a nice tree on a slightly slanted hill on a nice sunny afternoon - leaning back against it and taking a nice autumn snooze. To me this is relaxation.

My father in law has done that while hunting, who knows how many deer passed by him.

sleepinghunter.jpg

I'll be heading over to the ranch to do a little coyote hunting and scout for deer in a week or two. Need to mount a new scope on my son's .30-30. Got to visit the range and get everything sighted in. Three new scopes on three rifles. I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. Smells like....venison!

I've gotten 2 huge muley bucks in the last 2 years out of this canyon on the edge of the ranch.

WapinitaCanyon-bottomnortheastsm.jpg

i will be hunting out east for the first time ever pretty excited to see more than 20' and not be soaking wet allday getting shot at with 10/22's now just gotta watch out for rattlesnakes and heatstroke

Anyone pumped up?

No. No I am not pumped up, and I'll tell you why.

I am not pumped because I know of no good place to hunt in Western Oregon where I have even a remote chance of bagging a deer. I know of lots of places where dozens if not hundreds of people tramp into the woods to do what I call, "Camping With Guns". There are so many people around at these times that there probably isn't a deer within twenty miles of anyone. If anyone does manage to bag a deer, it was likely through sheer dumb luck rather than actual hunting.

A long time ago I used to have a place to hunt right in the Valley on private land. Nowadays there is nothing, and you can sure as hell bet people aren't talking if they DO have a good place to hunt.

So no, deer season makes me sad.

Hey Zig, that is some awesome country to hunt. Lucky you to have access to that.

I know what you mean Ironbar; last year was dissapointing when we entered our hunting area early and it looked like a parking lot with trucks parked everywhere. Luckily we have some access to private property that we could turn to. There are spots that give access to hunters but not to motor vehicles, you just have to hike in and that keeps out most of the crouds. What happened to the private land you hand access to?

I've been watching hunting shows on tv and getting ready. Got my buck and doe tag and grouse stamp, been seeing a lot of those little bugger when I go up shooting. Been thinkin about a bear and general season elk tag as well.
I'm ready....

I'll be heading over to the ranch to do a little coyote hunting and scout for deer in a week or two. Need to mount a new scope on my son's .30-30. Got to visit the range and get everything sighted in. Three new scopes on three rifles. I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. Smells like....venison!

I've gotten 2 huge muley bucks in the last 2 years out of this canyon on the edge of the ranch.

WapinitaCanyon-bottomnortheastsm.jpg

looks like rattlesnake country, i am jealous would almost like bagging a few nice rattlesnakes over a deer "almost"

looks like rattlesnake country, i am jealous would almost like bagging a few nice rattlesnakes over a deer "almost"

A lot of the canyon is BLM, but you have to cross one of two private ranches to get to it. Luckily, I get the LOP tags for the ranch on this side of the picture. Two years ago just about where that picture was taken I hit a huge buck and he jumped/fell over the edge and died at the bottom of a 50 foot sheer drop. Took a 4WD truck, an ATV, 200' of rope, and 9 hours to quarter him and get him back out of there.

Going to get my tags tomorrow. Scouting last week and put up 3 game cams, going back to check this weekend. A coworker may have some private land that I can access, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This will be my first Oregon hunt this year.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top