JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a brand new unfired stainless steel Ruger American rifle in .308 back in 2016. It was going to be new hunting rifle and I slapped a new Nikon Prostaff 5 scope on it. However I got a bad back injury shortly after which has removed hunting from my hobby list for the foreseeable future. That said its sat unfired in my safe since 2016 and I am finally ready to part ways with it. I looked on Gun Broker to find some pricing info but I can find a comparable rifle anywhere. From what I was told the Stainless Steel version was a very short run and not a lot of them exist. I am not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. That being said I have no idea how to price this and sell it as I cant find anything similar for sale. Does this have more value that the blued version or about the same? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'd say whatever the current similar models sell for it is about what it will likely get from it.

You might get to add inflation to the price as I'm betting the cost of a new blued version is likely more now than what you spent on this one when you bought it. IE a new similar model in blue costs $600 and you paid $350 back then. Start at $600 is almost double what you paid.

You might be able to ask a premium due to it being discontinued, I'd personally be happy with coming out over what I paid if the above inflation aspect is accurate-ish.

Stainless will definitely have more value than blued. Can't really give a figure on how much more though, all I can say is check GB and forum posts, see if a similar one is listed. GLWS.
Pick what number feels right and list it. Unless you are trying to squeeze every penny out of it, the longer it sits without an ad is the longer it sits in your possession. I always list higher than I should. I've sold instantly listing at higher prices than what I've thought things would sell for. I've also had items sit on here for months for less than I'd be willing to sell for wondering WTF. Don't be worried if it sits though, if it's getting views it is likely being looked at by someone with interest, they might just be waiting to see the price drop a bit and they will bite.

Pick what number feels right and list it. Unless you are trying to squeeze every penny out of it, the longer it sits without an ad is the longer it sits in your possession. I always list higher than I should. I've sold instantly listing at higher prices than what I've thought things would sell for. I've also had items sit on here for months for less than I'd be willing to sell for wondering WTF. Don't be worried if it sits though, if it's getting views it is likely being looked at by someone with interest, they might just be waiting to see the price drop a bit and they will bite.
I usually try to price things to move, that said, I've had stuff listed for 30% lower than market and it still sits.

Lots and lots (and LOTS) of budget-friendly rifle and scope combos out there. Cabelas/Bass pro, Sportsmans warehouse, etc. Most feature a "factory-installed Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm riflescope with the Dead-Hold BDC reticle" (i.e. made in China, rings too, I'm sure). Mostly Ruger Americans, various Savages, Mossbergs, Winchester XPRs, and Remington 783s. Prices are $419 up to about $800 for the package. That's what you're competing against, I would imagine, and you would need to price accordingly. Meaning: you'll have to give them an incentive to buy yours instead of just waltzing into Sportsmans or Cabelas and putting their money down for a new one. Personally I would rather have your Philippines-built Nikon than 3 Chinese-built Vortex Crossfire IIs, but I'm not sure how many other people feel that way.

Last Edited:
The market is super static right now. Well priced firearms move faster than ones people try to get all their money back from.

If you are willing to separate the optic from the rifle to decrease price you may be able to sell the optic or rifle on its own.

Prepare to take a little bit of a loss. Whatever the cheapest in stock price is online, try to beat that price and it may tempt a future buyer.

Found this rifle on True Gun Value

308 Win. American All-Weather Ruger / Sturm, & Co. Rifle 308 All Weather Stainless Magpul Vortex NR! Penny! I-23-143 DM 22 inch " barrel

PRICE: $710.00MANUFACTURER: Ruger / Sturm, Ruger & Co.
CONDITION: NewMODEL: American All-Weather
SOLD: 6 months agoUPC:
CALIBER: .308 Win.MANF. PART #:
CAPACITY:BARREL LENGTH: 22 inch

1692652508117.jpeg

Or in this case - anything. :s0092:
Don't get me wrong I have no love for FJB, but if one believes FJB is the cause of a failure of the economy, then Clinton was responsible for the dotcom economy.

That said, there are Americans that are struggling in the FJB economy, but there are also those that are still doing very well.

Don't get me wrong I have no love for FJB, but if one believes FJB is the cause of a failure of the economy, then Clinton was responsible for the dotcom economy.

That said, there are Americans that are struggling in the FJB economy, but there are also those that are still doing very well.
Yeah, it's not just FJB. It's the whole progressive movement working toward what some call "The great reset." Inexorable march made of many, many layers - universal health care, uniform basic income, reparations, tax the rich, etc., etc., etc. Basically equality of outcome instead of equality of opportunity.

Ugh. Enough politics for me for one day. I detest politics.

As for the OP's question, I would guess in the $600 - $650 range, just based on a couple of sales I made on similar guns.

If you really want to see what its worth put it up for auction with a reserve price at the lowest you would accept. make the auction long enough to gather all interested buyers. [ 15 days is probably a good number]. and run it out. The rifle is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I would sell the scope separately. A scope on the rifle just becomes an add on, where a scope by itself sells for exactly what its worth.
And if you have the boxes they came in this is when saving them pays off. Good Luck DR

I usually try to price things to move, that said, I've had stuff listed for 30% lower than market and it still sits.
Yep, I listed a like new Henry here for $150 off list and Crickets. I chuckle at the majority of classified pricing, what are they pulling these prices out of anyways?

I gave up trying to sell my P-89. I started at 5 bills then dropped the price to 4 and then 350, lot of looks but no offers in 4 weeks. I figure it must supposed to be mine so I'll keep shooting it. It makes a good shop gun anyways.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews