JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coincidentally, I recently passed up an inexpensive old S&W M&P revolver dating from the early teens.

What caught my eye were the early large medallion grips and the $250 price tag. Though I've swore off any more guns, I was tempted for a minute. The closer I looked, the less interested I was. It had been refinished, had some odd timing issues, and there were shallow holes in the frame and crane hinge area, like someone had removed the numbers usually seen there or some such. I think I may have dodged a headache.

Letter C serial number prefix started in 1948 on .38 M&P. S serial prefix was used 1945-48.

Half moon front sight phased out between 1952-56. This gun has the later ramped front sight.

Five screw frame up to 1955.

Blue finish on barrel appears newer than frame.

The serial number given, if correct, dates to M&P Model 1905, 3rd Change, made between 1909 and 1915. It doesn't "look" old enough for that. It doesn't have the right hammer or ejector rod to be a 1905 / 3rd chg. Grips are post-WW2. I'm not expert enough to ID the frame from this remove.

Summing up, if the serial number given is correct to the gun, it isn't a post WW2 pre-Model 10. The barrel appears to have been replaced with a later part. Possibly some small parts have been replaced with later ones. Or has the serial number been altered or changed? That happens. Decades ago, I had a J frame that someone had carefully milled a bit of material off the bottom of the frame and grips, then gave the gun a completely new serial number. It looked very professional.

I'm happy with the designation as a pre model 10, circa 52-55.
Agreed, it seems the barrel and cylinder have been replaced. That's good, because I buy guns to shoot.
The trigger is very smooth, and underscores how bad the trigger on my GP100 is and how truly awful the trigger is on the Armscor M200 revolver.
Range report next.

The trigger is very smooth, and underscores how bad the trigger on my GP100 is and how truly awful the trigger is on the Armscor M200 revolver.
S&W sure knows how to do triggers, especially back then. Ruger makes a good gun, but they just can't compete with S&W triggers.

I have a 10-7 with a 6" barrel that I probably paid a little too much for. I bought it because of the trigger. It has the target hammer and trigger, and someone professional worked it over to give it the lightest and smoothest double action pull I've ever felt in a revolver, with never a single misfire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top