JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this Smith & Wesson 38 Special revolver yesterday, and returned to buy it today.
Another gentleman in the store said it was likely a Model 10. There are no model markings on the gun.
I cannot find the S&W Serial number database that I read about, but the six digit S/N on the frame is 1834xx (last two digits deliberately x'd out by me.)
Lots of holster rash. The barrel is bright, the cylinder lockup is tight.
On examination, the cylinder has a different serial number, perhaps indicating it was serviced and replaced?
It's my first S&W.
Any info is greatly appreciated.

S&W_Prewar_Model_10.jpg

I saw this Smith & Wesson 38 Special revolver yesterday, and returned to buy it today.
Another gentleman in the store said it was likely a Model 10. There are no model markings on the gun.
I cannot find the S&W Serial number database that I read about, but the six digit S/N on the frame is 1834xx (last two digits deliberately x'd out by me.)
On examination, the cylinder has a different serial number, perhaps indicating it was serviced and replaced?
It's my first S&W.

View attachment 1826051
.38. Spec. M&P K-frame.
👍

Something seems off about that serial number. That number, with no letter prefix, would date to before WWI, if I remember right, but that one's definitely not that early at a glance.

Pre WWII would have had a larger end on the eject rod, so post WWII. no model number on the frame inside the crane has it made before 1959. So probably made between 48 and 59. the Pre model 10s were called M&P [ Military and Police].
With the odd serial it may have been made in South America, They were made briefly in Brazil.
It looks like it was carried but not shot alot. It might be worth getting a factory letter from S&W. Good Find DR

It's my first S&W.

View attachment 1826051
3 screw or 5 screw?

From the S/N looks like a Military and Police Model 1905 3rd change. No letter prefix to the S/N?
But the end of the ejection rod does not look right? 5 screw K frame? Is it marked 38 S & W Special Ctg.
on the barrel? Does the barrel have matching serial number under the ejector rod? The cylinder and frame should
have matching numbers. Maybe the cylinder and barrel have been changed? Here is a similar one.

Thanks to all for your input. Picked it up this morning.
My bad on the S/N. Way over on the left side of the bottom of the frame, there's the letter "C".

Here are more pics. Evidently it was an OSP pistol - whether prison guard or trooper, I don't know.

Model 10 Bottom.jpg Model 10 R Side.jpg

Nice! The K-38 is such a timeless classic. They started making them 125 years ago, and they still make them.

I'm not a collector but I've accumulated several over the years, mostly model 10's of one flavor or another, and a couple early M&P's. I don't have a WWII Victory model. I've decided I'm done buying any guns for the indefinite future, but if I came across a decent Victory model at the right price, I'd be tempted.

5-screw. 4 on the sideplate and one in front of the trigger guard to retain the bolt spring. Later Smiths eliminated the top sideplate screw, replacing it with a wedge, and also canned the screw which retained the bolt spring. These 5-screw models have the older lockwork with a longer D/A pull that should be very smooth. Not in bad shape at all, considering its age and duty use. Should last approxiamtely two forevers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top