JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since you were married to the guy when he legally bought the guns, then transferring them to you is not a problem with the Washington States firearm transfer laws.

Legal Green card holders can own firearms as long as you aren't a felon or otherwise restricted from possession.
Here's an excerpt from Initiative Measure No. 594

Some transfers between non-licensed sellers and buyers are exempt from the background check requirement including:
Bona fide gift transfers between spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles.

Since you were married to the guy when he legally bought the guns, then transferring them to you is not a problem with the Washington States firearm transfer laws.

Legal Green card holders can own firearms as long as you aren't a felon or otherwise restricted from possession.
Here's an excerpt from Initiative Measure No. 594

Some transfers between non-licensed sellers and buyers are exempt from the background check requirement including:
Bona fide gift transfers between spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles.

True, I believe the term is Resident Alien and isn't that difficult to deal with! All you have to do is prove your resident status and show your card! I know there are other steps, but that's the bigger ones! That opens some options for you !

I might try going to a nearest gun shop and talking to people there about what I can legally do.

Do that but PLEASE dont just give the things away in terms of selling for dirt cheap. Take the appraisals of gun shops with a grain of salt.. They'll offer you less than what they're worth. Once you find out if you can legally sell them look up prices via the model of firearm using gunbroker to find a medium of the price, post an ad on here or Armslist and meet at a local FFL. Fast, legal and safe.

Hope you get all this settled.

Last Edited:
If you do find there is no issue of selling the guns, and if he approves the sale.....make sure to get that in writing. And keep it in a safe place for a long, long time.

Hello,
I have a few guns that were bought by and are registered to my ex-husband (I live in Seattle, WA). He moved to a different state and is planning to stay there for good.
Is it possible for me to sell his guns?
What other options to I have for what to do with it? I have a shotgun and a small revolver, and possibly another revolver that I know he had, but I can't locate anymore.

Thanks!

Talk to the lawyer who represented you in the divorce. There are multiple legal points here.

Another way is to get a signed letter from his stating she is authorized to sell any firearms registered to him that are currently in her possession, or that all firearms in her possessions were transferred to her when she was his spouse.

elsie

IANAL - but -

Non Citizens may possess and shoot firearms.

Those on work visa's go to ranges that rent guns all the time. Having the gun in hand is possession.

Also, at shooting competitions, non citizens come and compete all the time.

@Fuzzy Dust - why does the shot gun have to go?
Didn't you post a picture of yourself shooting it?

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/shooting-pictures.172/page-46#post-1382172

222256-0819c8aca06497d15a7ebde23294f52b.jpg

222256-0819c8aca06497d15a7ebde23294f52b.jpg

HOLLY COW BAT MAN
THERE IS STILL NO REGISTRY IN WASHINGTON.It is not a registry with a tittle to the gun.
The Sheriff or any LEO is the last person to ask any questions about firearms,especially in a county/city that is anti gun like King county and Seattle.
*IF*....If the guns were purchased before that transfer law came into effect, then you are as much a legal owner as he was. If it was after then you,well any way you sell them would have to be thru a FFL.
Again,do any of y'alls have a little paper that looks anything like the tittle to your car with any of your gun serial#s on it?
There is no gun registry in washington

The guns are yours. Take one to the local dealer and see if he asks you for any paper work other than maybe your drivers license
You guys make way too much out of this kind of stuff. Saying things that just aren't true
I am? show me the laws that prove I'm not saying the correct thing
Washington is run on English law...if it isn't said to be illegal then t is legal

Here in lies the $64,000 question, if you are not a citizen of the United States then you, by law, are not able to possess any guns.... I may be wrong but that is what I have heard over the years.
Best idea for you is to ask LE or an attorney... Good luck and let us know the outcome of this.

Jim Sr.
Wrong Anyone oresent here can possess the guns. One must be a RESIDENT (green card is good enough to prove that) to BUY, but she;s not trying to BUY. So she can lawfully possess them, I am assuming they've been in the house since before the BloomingIdiotBurg law can in, so there is no issue with possible "unlawful transfer" to her after that became law... though she'd have a simple exemption because transfers between spouses are exempt.

HOLLY COW BAT MAN
THERE IS STILL NO REGISTRY IN WASHINGTON.It is not a registry with a tittle to the gun.
The Sheriff or any LEO is the last person to ask any questions about firearms,especially in a county/city that is anti gun like King county and Seattle.
*IF*....If the guns were purchased before that transfer law came into effect, then you are as much a legal owner as he was. If it was after then you,well any way you sell them would have to be thru a FFL.
Again,do any of y'alls have a little paper that looks anything like the tittle to your car with any of your gun serial#s on it?
There is no gun registry in washington

The guns are yours. Take one to the local dealer and see if he asks you for any paper work other than maybe your drivers license
You guys make way too much out of this kind of stuff. Saying things that just aren't true
I am? show me the laws that prove I'm not saying the correct thing
Washington is run on English law...if it isn't said to be illegal then t is legal
and she'd have the "transfer between close family members" exemption from the BloomingIdiotBurg law. Correct, no registry, there is no one in the state who has a list of who has what guns, or what guns are owned by whom. SUre, there was that white sheet went to the local LE, and the Department of LIcensing... but that is not a registration of the GUN, its only a report of the SALE. There is no means of "updating" that record when the gun is disposed of, as wiht a car. No transfer record, no "this thing is HIS" record.

Are we really arguing over a couple hundred dollars worth of guns?

Oil the shotgun and stick it in a back closet somewhere. Use it for trade goods some day, or whatever. Don't get wrapped around the axle on this one. Don't ask the cops or any other functionaries; they won't do you any good and can cause you a lot of harm.

Interesting Problem the OP has. A Problem that could happen to any of us with the stupid new Laws.

Divorced in possession of "Marital Assets" that she is possibly not legal to own because of Ex husband was purchaser and her being not a Citizen.

Hope she tells us how it all works out in the end.
gun possession/pwnership is not conditional upon being a CITIZEN. Anyone here can possess/own,. Only residents can pruchase through FFL's. but she's got a green card, and can purchase/own/transport (unloaded in the vehicle, please, state law) any gun she wants.

American Citizenship...it Has its privileges....and rights.

Talk to an attorney who does gun trusts. Consider Dual or US citizenship.
I'd not talk to the local LEOs. You might be seen as a quota to fill for them. Know your rights and obligations and the law in respect to your situation before you do anything that might jeopardize your future.

Brutus Out

Just to weight in here and potentially save you from a nasty fight you dont need or deserve. Do you have any family living here in the U.S. that ARE Citizens? If so, I would recommend having them "hold" these for you out side your home so that you can look into the legal options you have with out being made to surrender these to law enforcement! I also like the idea of consigning them at a reputable gun dealer! That may in fact be the best action! I would still visit with your local Sheriff and ask these questions! Just an opinion. Best of luck.

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT OF CITIZENSHIP to own or possess guns. WHERE did that come from? Its not so. To buy from FFL (whch means all purchases these days, thanks Bloomburg) one must be a RESIDENT, which she is, cause she has a Green Card. Buy and sell at your pleaure. But through an FFL if you want to be legtal. And in King COunty, its quite likely you'd easily get cuaght and prosecuted for violating the Bloomburg Law. Most other coiunties, the sheriff has vowed he'll not enforce 594. King? Don't chance it.

Here in lies the $64,000 question, if you are not a citizen of the United States then you, by law, are not able to possess any guns.... I may be wrong but that is what I have heard over the years.
Best idea for you is to ask LE or an attorney... Good luck and let us know the outcome of this.

Jim Sr.
WRONG. There IS no citizenship requirement for gun possession or ownership. Residency is all that is required to buy through an FFL. No issue whatever, she is free to use, sell, fire, carry about (unloaded in the car per state law), anything else she wants.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top