JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I have a few guns that were bought by and are registered to my ex-husband (I live in Seattle, WA). He moved to a different state and is planning to stay there for good.
Is it possible for me to sell his guns?
What other options to I have for what to do with it? I have a shotgun and a small revolver, and possibly another revolver that I know he had, but I can't locate anymore.

Thanks!

There's no gun registration. Those guns were not "registered" to your husband.
Speaking of which, "ex-husband" connotes all properties are settled and that they are now yours to do with as you please. To sell them though I think you have to go through essentially a broker/dealer/intermediary that holds an FFL.
anyway, good luck

Here are a couple of thoughts...
Guns aren't registered, and to the best of my knowledge, it is illegal to sell firearms or any other property that does not belong to you.
So, if your ex husband bought the firearms, they belong to him unless he gifted or sold them to you.

Take 'em down and put them on consignment at a local gun shop. They will take a percentage of the sale - but you still get the bulk of the cash, and the guns will all be legally transferred to their new owners.

She lives in Seattle, which is in Washington. If the revolver was bought at a dealer then it is registered, as Washington -does- have a handgun registry. That said, there's no requirement to keep the registry up to date.

The real question is who legally owns the firearms according to the divorce decree? If the decree says they're yours then you're free to do what you like with them.

She lives in Seattle, which is in Washington. If the revolver was bought at a dealer then it is registered, as Washington -does- have a handgun registry. That said, there's no requirement to keep the registry up to date.

The real question is who legally owns the firearms according to the divorce decree? If the decree says they're yours then you're free to do what you like with them.
What if he bought them from a dealer in Okefenokee in 1962?! lol
Golly.. and Seattle is in Warshington?

Keep them. Store them someplace safe and get some firearms training.
You might need then someday.
How could we all have failed so miserably in such a simple query?
Yes, the correct answer is the above.. they can come in mighty handy once in awhile.. and shooting is actually fun!

Thanks guys!
Here is the deal: Our divorce decree doesn't list the guns separately for who owns them. He left the state and isn't planning to come back. Since I had to pay off some of his unsettled bills (the collection agency went after me and actually took me to court, since we were married at the time the debt was made), he asked me to sell some of his stuff to recover the damage, since he now legally owes me the money I had to pay to the collection agency.
He bought the guns a few years ago from a local gun shop. Not sure what exactly the registration is like, but I know that he had to wait for over a week for each gun before he could take it home.
The small revolver is actually mine, but he had to buy it as I'm not a citizen and would have to apply for a conceal carry permit to be able to buy that gun.
The reason why I don't want to keep them is that those are not my choices of firearm. I'm starting my shooting training with archery, and planning to slowly progress to handguns. I might end up keeping the revolver, but the shotgun needs to go.

That's respectable.

Sorry for your divorce and having to go through all that.

I would say they are your property abd you can do what you please with them.
It isn't a bad idea to call the sheriff's office or local ATF office and double check as none of us are lawyers.

With the new BCG laws it's not worth taking the chance.

Good luck and let us know whats happens.

"The small revolver is actually mine, but he had to buy it as I'm not a citizen and would have to apply for a conceal carry permit to be able to buy that gun."

What country are you a citizen of? Can you legally possess them?

What country are you a citizen of? Can you legally possess them?
I'm Canadian, and I'm also now have a Green Card here in the US. Not sure what I'm allowed, but the guns are in my house.

Tell him he owes you some dang money!.. then ship them to him via an FFL or have him come get them.
best I got
He knows he owes me money, but he's declaring bankruptcy, so even if I take him to court, I won't get anything out of it. We had a very amicable divorce, so he understands that I want to cover the losses, and I also understand that he doesn't have cash to pay me back. If I can't legally sell his shotgun here, than I'll do exactly what you suggest - find a way to send it to him.

I might try going to a nearest gun shop and talking to people there about what I can legally do.

Here in lies the $64,000 question, if you are not a citizen of the United States then you, by law, are not able to possess any guns unless you have a green card.... I may be wrong but that is what I have heard over the years.
Best idea for you is to ask LE or an attorney... Good luck and let us know the outcome of this.

Jim Sr.

[EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION]

Last Edited:
Just to weight in here and potentially save you from a nasty fight you dont need or deserve. Do you have any family living here in the U.S. that ARE Citizens? If so, I would recommend having them "hold" these for you out side your home so that you can look into the legal options you have with out being made to surrender these to law enforcement! I also like the idea of consigning them at a reputable gun dealer! That may in fact be the best action! I would still visit with your local Sheriff and ask these questions! Just an opinion. Best of luck.

Interesting Problem the OP has. A Problem that could happen to any of us with the stupid new Laws.

Divorced in possession of "Marital Assets" that she is possibly not legal to own because of Ex husband was purchaser and her being not a Citizen.

Hope she tells us how it all works out in the end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top