JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can a non U.S. Citizen purchase a firearm?

A family friend asked me this question the other day and I could not remember what the answer is. He came to the US from Canada as a college student, got married, and is now a dentist here in Oregon. He would like to have a gun in the house for target, protection, and what not. If he can't buy it, I will have to tell him that his wife will have to get it for him and be the true owner :s0114:

Can a non U.S. Citizen purchase a firearm?

A family friend asked me this question the other day and I could not remember what the answer is. He came to the US from Canada as a college student, got married, and is now a dentist here in Oregon. He would like to have a gun in the house for target, protection, and what not. If he can't buy it, I will have to tell him that his wife will have to get it for him and be the true owner :s0114:

Yes they can!!!

I just sold a gun to a Guatamalan Citizen!!!

Thanks for the quick response, second question

I have read the requirements for a CHL, but I don't remember any requirement that you had to be citizen?

I'm a British citizen and have my OR CHL.
The only stipulation is you have to declare your intent to become a US citizen on USCIS form N-300.

I can buy firearms, including Class III items.

Typically the background checks canot be done immediately though, and I have had to come back and pick up the items a few hours after it's called in.

The US does not recognize dual citizenship for adults.

If he can't buy it, I will have to tell him that his wife will have to get it for him and be the true owner :s0114:

Remember, never purchase a firearm for anybody else, especially if they aren't qualified - but even if it's as simple as a gift.

The ATF really does take anything remotely like this situation very seriously. I know of people hauled away for even the simplest infractions.

<broken link removed>

Seems like you already know, but I hope the warning can be seen by others.

Thanks for the warning, I should have been a little more clear. His wife does not seem to be the gun type and I thought it would be funny to see him ask her if he could borrow her gun to go shoot etc and she holding it with one finger by the trigger guard like it was going to bite her. And telling him only if he did his chores could he go and play with the guys. :s0155:

A non-US citizen cannot purchase a firearm in Washington State unless they have a valid Alien Firearms License. The AFL law is currently being challenged by Second Amendment Foundation in US District Court. We (as in gun owners in general) expect to win this battle due to the Kentucky CCDW court case as precedent even before Heller. It was Say v. Kentucky State Police

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top