JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The upper should not be a problem since its mail order. Some places are still selling AR parts to WA. Some are not willing to as they just don't trust the AG here to not come at them and force them to pay for lawyers. The law was so poorly written that its going to be very hit and miss. The parts that need an FFL are what are going to be absolutely no would be my best guess. Since few if any FFL's here are going to want to put their entire operation on the line against side show bob. :(
Right. It and the other law about vendors and public nuisance create an environment of arbitrary and capricious enforcement via TurdBob. I wonder if there are comparable cases from other industries where the courts forced clarification of law. Maybe pharma. But molecules are perhaps easier to define than the imaginary assault rifles of doom.

According to HB1240, a Glock 17 without a threaded barrel is not an assault weapon. A Glock 17 with a threaded barrel is an Assault Weapon. I bring this up because a 2A friendly FFL should be looking at the firearm in front of them, when deciding whether it's a legal configuration. They should not be contemplating whether the purchaser could go home and for an example, slap a threaded barrel in the Glock 17, that was just transferred to him.

In the case of a non-semiauto rifle, the 2A friendly FFL should treat it the same way. A person could easily convert many firearms to being defined as an Assualt Weapon but the configuration that is in front of the FFL is what should matter for transfer purposes.

Another example: An FFL could also assume that somebody buying an AR pistol with a 10" barrel, could take it home and put a stock on it. This could result in the creation of an unlicensed SBR. The FFL should transfer the item as it came into the store and not worry about somebody putting a stock on it, after it leaves the FFL's premises.

Last example: An FFL could transfer a pistol to somebody who then adds a second grip to the pistol. Now that pistol is in violation of State and Fed laws. The FFL did the right thing by transferring the pistol because it did not have a second grip when it was presented to the FFL.

Edit: I asked the OP question because not all FFLs share the same level of 2A friendliness.

Last Edited:
I think you would be hard pressed to find an FFL that would be willing to deliver the complete rifle even though it doesn't meet the first definition of assault weapon, It would be too much to gamble upon considering it uses the AR-15 platform (or any of its variants.)

Trying to purchase the lower separately is a no-go unless its modified, by the manufacturer, to prevent the use of a standard upper.

One way which may get it past the gods of Mt. Olympus is use of a permanent pivot pin making it no longer separate pieces. Something which will require tools to separate. It would be an affordable solution for manufacturers to make.

Right. It and the other law about vendors and public nuisance create an environment of arbitrary and capricious enforcement via TurdBob. I wonder if there are comparable cases from other industries where the courts forced clarification of law. Maybe pharma. But molecules are perhaps easier to define than the imaginary assault rifles of doom.
Sadly as always happens this takes way longer than it should. I have no doubt that if we don't beat this law entirely they will at least have to make it far more clear. Of course to get this takes MONEY, a LOT of it. Will sadly also mean some will have to be gone after by side show who then have to pay to fight him. The people making these laws can not possibly all be this stupid. No doubt some of them are very low IQ but, many of them have to know this is exactly what they are doing. I just keep hoping maybe more gun owners will start to pay attention and be willing to at least vote well.

This company makes a drop in bolt kit to make an AR into a straight pull bolt action:

They also sell a complete bcg set. I believe it is legal in California.
This is an interesting conversion but, looks to me like its aimed at people who own an AR and wish to keep it in a state that has told them the AR has to go because they can no longer have it. Here in WA (so far) that has not happened. Taking a quick look at this are they just modifying the upper not the lower? Unless I missed it looks like the lower is still the same, just makes the upper no manual operation. So another AR upper could just be pinned on? If so I have to "guess" anyone in a state that has said they can no longer have an AR and gets one of these may be in trouble if found with a normal AR upper? Would they have to get rid of the AR uppers they had that they did not permanently convert like this? If this is how it works does not look like WA would allow the gun sold here because of the lower?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top