JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else creating caches or considered it? What did you make the container out of? What did you put in it? Where about did you store them? I'm a B.I. guy but if it got really bad and B.O. was a must, it would be nice to have some stuff already 'out there'. I've been considering it for a few items like tools to build shelter and get some food (tarps, axe,saw, cheap 22 rifle w/ammo, knives, fishing gear, shovels, rope and perhaps some seeds). Also having a couple caches out there in different directions away from my house in case I really didn't want to travel in a certain direction for some reason (state capital was dirty bombed or the horde was coming south on I-5 or east on I-90, etc...). Good idea or a waste of $$ and time??

why would having a few caches be a really bad plan? I've read up on other folks doing it and their only problem was either stuff inside leaking (stove fuel) or ground water leaking into it - which was remedied. It's not like I'm going to put signs up to show where the stuff is located and what's inside or leave a few M-16's in them....

I dont have anything against catching, I think running for the woods is a bad plan. Take a look with google earth. There is no wilderness really left around here. Sure there are some parks and some places with few people but that is usually because they are not inhabitable. A person cant go camping in the summer without reservations anymore... Toss in some desperation and panic the woods might be down right crowded with underprepared people. There are better ways to bug out IMHO. Such as boat on the water, property somewhere else. Or at the least renting a self storage unit within a 3 day walk that could hold supplies.

If the SHTF, I predict rioting, looting and roving gangs. Unlike the Great Depression where there was not welfare or food stamps, and far more people lived on rural land, today people are "entitled" and they live out of the grocery store in the cities. We have a whole different culture. The store will be looted in no time and not replenished.

We live right on the edge of the wilderness which separates the Rogue Valley from the coast. It is vast. Yes I have a cache, but I don't plan to go there. I plan to survive defending my home, or die. It would take a lot to get me to bug out.

A 22 rifle and lots of ammo fit into a 6" PVC pipe with ends glued on. I first seal everything in plastic with a vacuum sealer but not much if any vacuum because I toss in a couple of oxygen absorbers which create a type of vacuum, if you will. A few moisture absorbers and some gun grease and some cleaning equipment and oil and hope for the best.

Food is no different from home. Plastic food buckets wrapped and stapled with galvanized hardware cloth (screen door size), contents sealed in mylar with oxygen absorbers. There is water there. There are some tools sealed with a vacuum sealer and moisture absorbers.

They aren't buried. They are off the ground on camouflaged PVC pipe, covered with camouflage tarp which could later be a lean-to, and heaped with brush in a hard to find and hard to get to spot.

I'm well aware that if the SHTF, a lot of people will die and I may be one of them. I never planned on living forever. I do this only for the younger generation in the family and hope for the best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top