JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a student of history, and I decided to look at the current spike in both the quantity and price of firearms/ammunition sales. I found this chart:

chart.jpg

I noticed two obvious facts:

1) The average price goes up over time.
2) The big peaks (outliers) from the trendline collapse and return to the trendline.

Since we are currently living through an obvious peak right now (looks identical to the Obama/Sandy Hook peak), it seems like a no brainer to sell my ammunition and buy back twice the quantity once the peak collapses. I'd keep a reasonable amount on hand, but I have more than I could shoot in two lifetimes if I went shooting every single day. Why not double it?

Thoughts?

Like you mentioned, why not?

If you've got a TON of it, why not make some money on it and replenish at a later date?

I'm a gambling man, but with so many new shooters and pending legislation, the opportunity to rebuy at a lower price may never come. That is the risk. I've considered selling some of my reserves, but the ability to replinish is the question. Besides, the ammo I've purchased is already an internalized cost.

But, there is a chance to make some good money.

Good luck with your choice. I'm rooting for you to win because that means we all win due to cheaper and plentiful ammo returning.

I've been working on doing just that, only not really with an eye towards replenishing. I have multiple tins of CMP M1 Garand ammo that I've had for well over a decade. I only ever shoot my reloads, and sealed tins are going for insanely high prices on Gunbroker, so now is the time to let them go. I think I'm going to go ahead and get rid of about all the factory ammo I've accumulated (except 22lr), since it's so high.

No, I won't be listing it on here, unfortunately, and if I pass any along to friends it will be at reasonable prices. My incentive for getting out is the silly high prices, and when bidders on Gunbroker bid them up, they're naming their own price.

It's not a windfall to splurge on new toys either. We're trying to save up with an eye to a move away from the PNW within a year or two. I love it here and have spent my whole life in Oregon, but it's just not the same anymore. We have become California.

Last Edited:
I'm a student of history, and I decided to look at the current spike in both the quantity and price of firearms/ammunition sales. I found this chart:

View attachment 828486

2) The big peaks (outliers) from the trendline collapse and return to the trendline.

Since we are currently living through an obvious peak right now (looks identical to the Obama/Sandy Hook peak), it seems like a no brainer to sell my ammunition and buy back twice the quantity once the peak collapses. I'd keep a reasonable amount on hand, but I have more than I could shoot in two lifetimes if I went shooting every single day. Why not double it?

Thoughts?
In the meantime you won't have that ammo.. while you're hoping for an unknown.
Speculation, your honor! lol

During the low period in 2018, a friend told me he was buying 10's of thousands of rounds of Wolf 223 for very low (at the time) prices. Knowing his an elitist and wouldn't run that ammo in his DD AR I started giving him crap about it.

He laughed and said, "I'm never going to shoot this stuff. This is my barter stock for the next time".

I'm sure he sold it all and bought a small island by now.

During the low period in 2018, a friend told me he was buying 10's of thousands of rounds of Wolf 223 for very low (at the time) prices. Knowing his an elitist and wouldn't run that ammo in his DD AR I started giving him crap about it.

He laughed and said, "I'm never going to shoot this stuff. This is my barter stock for the next time".

I'm sure he sold it all and bought a small island by now.
I've sat on a few, exact number never to be disclosed, 223 herters steel cased spam cans for similar reasons.

I tell ya what, I'm going to double my ammo supply next go around, but the only ammo I'm parting with is going down range.

Definitely going to stock up on a ton of steel case stuff to sell and pawn off on relatives next panic. I don't like being the "go to guy" for friends and family as much as I thought I would...

My only hesitation is we have a president that has historically openly and aggressively wanted to dismantle the 2A. Yes others have been anti gun but, this guy is a whole new level in my eyes. This gives me pause on suddenly cashing in on the new value of my alleged stocks.

Buy low, sell high.

Or buy low and sell when prices are high. I don't advise selling while high, you may miscount.

View attachment 828486

Thoughts?
Do you have enough to shoot till it comes back online? If yes, why not. Like all panic shortages the stuff always comes back sooner or later. So if you want to make some cash off what you have hell why not. I am often tempted to do the same. Only reason I do not is lazy. I still like to shoot weekly. So if I sell off a good portion of what I have I would have to start rolling again to shoot. So I do not sell it off even though I could make some quick cash.
This panic is not a year old yet but, it went just like the ones before it. Most ignored the stuff when it was cheap, now are mad, many screaming it will never come back. It will, stuff will be cheap again, the same people will again ignore it till next time :s0092:
I have long told other shooters to figure what they would want to last a year if they could not buy more. Then double that. A few do, many ignore it, and of course get mad. :s0092:

I'm almost confident in saying if you have spare dollars, turn them into anything tangible. In my lifetime, the dollar has halved in value and that was well before multi trillion dollars deficits became normal

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top